Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 03:33 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,636,381 times

Advertisements

Personally, I really don't like any or at least most of the parades in NYC. I feel like they're just obstructive and pretty much meaningless since most of the ethnic parades have people who really don't even know much about the origins of their culture and why they're celebrating it to begin with. They'll mostly go their to showcase their Irish, Italian, Puerto Rican, Dominican, German, Greek, Indian, Pakistani, Jamaican, West Indie (etc.) "pride". MOST the parades are really ghetto and/or rowdy and just cause a headache to navigate around the city for locals, tourist and people who are working in the area alike.

On top of that, during the summer there always seems to be a parade every week which is quite annoying. Trust me, I'm ALL for experiencing and sharing different cultures and experiencing the music, food and people and I have attended all the major parades and at one point slightly enjoyed them. I love to party, see the women, meet new people and have a grand time getting wild and loose but I really feel like there's a time and place for everything.

Plus, this is a bit of a rant but I also feel like the Veterans Day Parade gets close to no love in comparison to the major parades like the Puerto Rican, Irish, Columbus and West Indie parades. Which I think is a real shame, regardless of what your political views maybe.

I hate to sound like a scrooge but I just don't think there's the need to have so many parades, in a way I just feel like they should get rid of parades all together or have it held where it can't obstruct people who are traversing by foot and/or automotive.

I know people will say "but this is what makes NYC, NYC!" and something along the lines but this is just my opinion. What are yours?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 04:22 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
I think there are way too many parades in NYC. Way too many. There is a PR parade, Dominican parade, etc. Why not just ONE "hispanic heritage parade"??? There is some parade that goes on every September near my daughter's school. It's beyond annoying. They park their "floats" in front of the school for hours, blasting music, etc. They park at around 8am and don't leave the block until their "parade" starts at 1pm. The school officials have gone and asked them to PLEASE turn the music off since classes are going on and, at any rate, their parade is NOT on the street the school is on, it's on the Avenue. They (very disrespectfully) said no and continued blasting music while kids were trying to learn.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:22 PM

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thought this. I totally agree with having just one "Hispanic Heritage Parade" with all Hispanic groups representing their culture. The same with Asians, Carribeans, Europeans etc. I just don't think they're should be so many damn parades.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:27 PM

979 posts, read 4,455,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thought this. I totally agree with having just one "Hispanic Heritage Parade" with all Hispanic groups representing their culture. The same with Asians, Carribeans, Europeans etc. I just don't think they're should be so many damn parades.
Why do I think there might be a problem with Puerto Ricans sharing Fifth Avenue with Dominicans?

Old 07-07-2010, 06:27 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,954,599 times
Yup agreed with the too many damn parades. If you love your country so much then go back to it.

And I didn't know Asians had a heritage parade like the Puerto Ricans? I know the Chinese do small stuff around Chinatown but thats all I know of. I could be wrong. Also I know they have Japan Day in Central Park but seems they're actually trying to educate and show their heritage with food and activities.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modsquad81 View Post
Why do I think there might be a problem with Puerto Ricans sharing Fifth Avenue with Dominicans?

That conflict is so played out. There really isn't any real animosity between the two ethnic groups honestly. When I was a kid I remember all the Puerto Ricans and Dominicans kids would make a big deal out of that but for the most part part Puerto Ricans and Dominicans get along perfectly fine in my opinion.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Yup agreed with the too many damn parades. If you love your country so much then go back to it.

And I didn't know Asians had a heritage parade like the Puerto Ricans? I know the Chinese do small stuff around Chinatown but thats all I know of. I could be wrong. Also I know they have Japan Day in Central Park but seems they're actually trying to educate and show their heritage with food and activities.

Well, Asians usually just have little events like the Chinese New Year or Japan Day where you can actually get something and learn from it. The south East Asians like the Indian and Pakistanis do have their own parades. While I love all things desi, from the movies, to music, to food and even Desi women, I have to say even that parade is sloppy but a much smaller scale in comparison to lets say like the Puerto Rican or St. Patricks day parade.

All in all I'm totally cool with lets says little festivals or events but all these parades or absolutely not necessary.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:41 AM

316 posts, read 989,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I think there are way too many parades in NYC. Way too many. There is a PR parade, Dominican parade, etc. Why not just ONE "hispanic heritage parade"??? There is some parade that goes on every September near my daughter's school. It's beyond annoying. They park their "floats" in front of the school for hours, blasting music, etc. They park at around 8am and don't leave the block until their "parade" starts at 1pm. The school officials have gone and asked them to PLEASE turn the music off since classes are going on and, at any rate, their parade is NOT on the street the school is on, it's on the Avenue. They (very disrespectfully) said no and continued blasting music while kids were trying to learn.
That's ridiculous. Did you call the police? If so, what happened? If not, why?

Old 07-08-2010, 09:20 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
I used to live at 35th and Park and it was very annoying having to navigate all of the minor parades all summer long. Many (most?) of the parades have more people in them than watching them. They're really just an ego trip for the participants. All of the effort and money would be better spent having a cultural fair with food, music, dance, etc., rather than marching down a deserted avenue.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:41 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
So evidently the OP has problems with "ethnic" parades. How about others...like the Halloween Parade in the Village or the Mermaid Parade in Coney Island just to name two.

Do you also object to the huge numbers of block parties throughout the city in the summer and fall?

You asked for opinions. Well, OK. I think you're being just a bit of a Scrooge. Parades are supposed to be fun. If you don't think they're fun, then don't attend. God knows there's enough going on in this town that isn't fun. Please don't get in the way of things that are!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City