Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 10:28 AM

429 posts, read 931,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
What's the deal? Here in ATL the process of renting an apartment is as follows:
-Fill out the application
-background check (to make sure you don't have a criminal history)
-provide proof of income
-if you make less than 3X the monthly rent then get a cosigner (who can be out of state)
-fill out and sign lease/paperwork.
-pay the security deposit and first months rent.
-move in.
Heck, in every apartment I've ever lived in--and I've only lived in apartments, I'm in my 40s, and I've lived in a number of places in Florida and New Jersey (I'm in Jersey City now), the procedure has been this: (1) Pay first last and security, (2) Move in.

I've never even had a lease. I've never filled out an application. No landlord has ever done a background or employment check. I thought about getting apartments in NYC, but I don't like the hoops you have to jump through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 01:25 PM

106,566 posts, read 108,713,667 times
i found out the hard way about not giving a lease as a landlord to a tenant the first time i was going to take a tenant to court and i couldnt prove what the rent was supposed to be since i only took cash from her because she bounced checks.

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-08-2010 at 02:14 PM..

Old 07-08-2010, 03:56 PM

30 posts, read 113,595 times
Thanks guys - if I can just bring this back on topic...

(from housingnyc.com)
"It is unlawful for a landlord to restrict occupancy of an apartment to the named tenant in the lease or to that tenant and immediate family. When the lease names only one tenant, that tenant may share the apartment with immediate family, one additional occupant and the occupant’s dependent children, provided that the tenant or the tenant’s spouse occupies the premises as their primary residence."

So, legally, if I am on the lease, my child can live with me too? (without being named on the application form)

Old 07-08-2010, 05:27 PM

979 posts, read 4,455,408 times
zemirah, you already know the law. You might be running into LLs who don't want any kids around. You got to do what you got to do. The law states When the lease names only one tenant, that tenant may share the apartment with immediate family and you have 30 days to inform the LL that someone has moved in or within 30 days of the landlord's request for this information irregardless of any clauses to the contrary demanding to know who will occupy the apartment.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:42 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zemirah View Post
Thanks guys - if I can just bring this back on topic...

(from housingnyc.com)
"It is unlawful for a landlord to restrict occupancy of an apartment to the named tenant in the lease or to that tenant and immediate family. When the lease names only one tenant, that tenant may share the apartment with immediate family, one additional occupant and the occupant’s dependent children, provided that the tenant or the tenant’s spouse occupies the premises as their primary residence."

So, legally, if I am on the lease, my child can live with me too? (without being named on the application form)

You can have your son live with you, legally, under most circumstances.

You are not being discriminated against. Unfortunately, there are a number of vagaries regarding leasing an apartment; and many considerations for landlords.

In your case, there are two issues which I note:

1) Your parents/guarantors residing outside the United States, create an additional and unnecessary difficulty if the need arose for the landlord to attempt to collect upon a judgment regarding your tenancy. For example, how does a landlord collect against your parents, if they reside in France or Iran, or Russia????

2) For many professional landlords the offer to pay a year's rent in advance can be considered indicative of a lack of employment, and consequently an inability to pay beyond the initial period (1 year).

Landlords do NOT wish to be involved in going to court in order to evict you for non-payment. The advance payment is ONLY a guarantee for the one year period. In all likelihood, from a LL's point of view, you'll probably wind up in court after the rent advance expires.

Your son has little to do with the issue. Your capability to pay is certainly an issue. It is possible to find a small landlord who may find your circumstance appealing, but most large landlords will not be willing to take the chance.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:53 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I know there are international students renting in New York - HOW?! How on earth can I ever get an application accepted if I'm a full time (ie. no income, but savings to cover costs), international student (with guarantors overseas).

It has to be doable, but how?!

Old 07-08-2010, 08:31 PM

461 posts, read 1,999,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
For many professional landlords the offer to pay a year's rent in advance can be considered indicative of a lack of employment, and consequently an inability to pay beyond the initial period (1 year).

Landlords do NOT wish to be involved in going to court in order to evict you for non-payment. The advance payment is ONLY a guarantee for the one year period. In all likelihood, from a LL's point of view, you'll probably wind up in court after the rent advance expires.
Excellent point Jcoltrane! I had a similar scenario when a prospective tenant responded to one of my craigslist ads and offered me to pay the whole year up front in CASH! Red flag went up instantly. I didn't even get to ask him if he was employed or anything and frankly I didn't care. Probably some drug dealer getting evicted and needs housing asap. Trying to sucker in some landlord by throwing money in his face. Only dumb, naive and greedy landlords fall for that trick and BOY will they pay for it later on!

Old 07-08-2010, 08:34 PM

Possible not a dumb drug dealer Victorfox! Possibly a getting desperate international student, who has the money to pay, and is just trying to get an apartment!

How would YOU, as a landlord recommend that I present myself to get an apt?

Old 07-08-2010, 08:55 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Doesn't your school have an office for international students, or at least a housing office? NYU has FAQs for international students looking for housing.
Update on Guarantors (Off Campus Housing Office)

Old 07-08-2010, 08:56 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
What size landlords have you approached? A small landlord might think your circumstances a hassle to deal with (child or no child). Depending on your budget, you might want to try a large management company that has a full-time rental office. They have the time/staff to deal with international background checks, etc.

Have you tried getting recommendations on buildings from your school? Most schools have an International Students' Office that can assist with these kinds of issues. Or at least have a list of buildings students have used in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City