Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 09:26 AM

747 posts, read 2,759,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
You have to add about $12 worth of taxes and fees onto whichever cell phone plan you get. The bills here always include an insane amt of extras, and not ones you can get out of. Also if the $50 plan doesn't include texting, add on at least $5 a month (20 cents per text) for when your friends text you -- not everyone will know you don't have unlimited texting and they will probably text you regardless.
The good thing about a metro area is that it can be cheaper in certain instances - one of them being cell phones. Virgin, Boost and Metro PCS might not be great everywhere in the country, but they're viable options in the city. Virgin has plans starting at $25/mo for 300 mins and unlimited text, web, data, email. The more expensive plans get you more mins but all plans have the unlimited text, data, etc. Metro PCS is something like $45 for unlimited talk as well as text, data, etc. IIRC, both companies' pricing is inclusive of taxes.

But def consider a txt plan as people will text you regardless. I used to get annoyed when I'd get charged per text, but this is one of those instances where it's better to join 'em if you can't beat 'em...now I'm one of those people who texts everyone assuming the recipient has a txt plan too (they all do, seriously)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 04:30 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,814,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinaTado View Post
The easiest thing to cut will be your food budget because you can eat breakfast at home and pack lunches for a fraction of the cost of eating out. Where are you moving to? There may be a cheap grocery store near you. My BF and I live near the UWS Fairway, but we walk 10 blocks to Western Beef because they are a much cheaper grocery store. We used to spend $60 a week on the basics at fairway, but now we buy most of our non-perishables at WB when they have a sale and get our produce from local fruit stands- saves us a ton of money on food each month.

Hmmmmm...ever wonder WHY Western Beef is cheaper than Fairway....hmmmm?

Old 07-18-2010, 10:52 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,593,400 times
No student payment? If not some people are jealous I'm sure.

Old 07-18-2010, 04:45 PM

917 posts, read 2,948,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Hmmmmm...ever wonder WHY Western Beef is cheaper than Fairway....hmmmm?

Hehe, we've heard the mafia rumors but you know what? We don't make enough to spend three times as much at Fairway. If Fairway lowers their prices, we'll happily shop there. Of course, Trader Joes will be opening up on the west side soon and we will start doing a lot of our shopping there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City