Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 03:36 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,351,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post

This is more morally wrong than slavery. At least in slavery, the slave was cared for and provided with everything from shelter to food and care. Sort of like a wife.
I don't disagree with some of your statements but to equate a slave to a wife was just not correct. Wives have certain freedoms that slaves did not have.

Quote:
Sorry to say it but this line of thinking is part of the indoctrination that we all go through in school. It helps you to hate the past and love today's regime.
And, just because it was taught in school doesn't mean that it is accurate. It is always good to read various sources of information and talk to people to form your own position.

Quote:
The truth is that when slavery was abolished in the new world many of the ex-slaves ended up doing the same work but only in more squalid conditions than before. What is worse is that they had to provide stability for themselves and they had nobody to look after their physical/moral/mental health.
The "truth" you've presented is based on a work of fiction. The article even states "The plot is loosely based on events in the history of Guadeloupe." In addition, you can find plenty of research articles and books that present the post-slavery years in the Caribbean as being quite different than they were in the US. I won't go into it here but just suggesting that you do a little research to accurately present your position. In a nutshell, after slavery was abolished in the US, the former slaves were at the bottom of the pecking order in terms of getting employment. Many were illiterate or, if they could read and write, were discriminated against.

IMO, being able to provide for your own physical/moral/mental health is the cornerstone of progressing into mature adulthood. The fact that slaves were beholden to masters for everything made them perpetual adolescents, in a sense, which left them at the mercy of continued horrific working conditions and discrimination. Given the choice, I would rather not have been "provided for" during slavery and given the opportunity to work for my keep.

Quote:
Do you want a workforce that is beholden to you for their needs 365 days a year or do you want a transient workforce who you only pay -the minimum of course- when you need them? Most of all their personal problems are not your problem and all you have to do is count the profits.This is the very heart of the illegal immigration issue. The machine still needs the cheapest slaves possible; if acquiring these slaves is illegal the government will make following the law illegal.
No. I wouldn't want anyone beholden to me because they deserve to become productive citizens on their own. For example, my great-great grandfather was an Irish indentured servant. He did his 7 years and was then free to purchase land and operate his own farm. He did well enough build a home and to send his only daughter to college, and she became a schoolteacher. Maybe instead of hiring illegals, the US should allow people to work here legally with the promise of obtaining citizenship after a period of time. During their indenture, they could be a protected class of workers so that employers are unable to exploit them.

Quote:
Since big money controls TV in new York, you will only hear this issue presented as a human rights issue but it is and will always be cheap labor issue.
Haven't you heard Mayor Bloomberg's position? It's purely economic.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:10 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post
They hire immigrants because they are the only ones that will break concrete when temperatures are over 90 degrees. Immigrants have a WORK ETHIC.................
I know plenty of people who work in 90 degrees. And they are WHITE. Cut the crap.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:34 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,305,460 times
[quote=samyn on the green;15098358]It is also about the employers that are looking for people to exploit. The problem here is that the great society programs devolved many working or lower class people into useless eaters that are too proud to work but plenty proud to cash welfare.

With millions of useless eaters unemployable; farming, service work and animal industry has a dire need for people to work. Illegal immigrants fill this role for cheap labor and the government protects the right of employers to exploit them.

Farming and service work is in dire need of workers.. thats b/c dont wanna pay an actual WAGE. Thats all thats about

Old 07-19-2010, 07:37 AM

316 posts, read 989,308 times
Quote:
They hire immigrants because they are the only ones that will break concrete when temperatures are over 90 degrees. Immigrants have a WORK ETHIC.................
Not sure why your mentioning immigrants? Please explain . We're talking about ILLEGAL immigrants . Illegal immigrants are willing to work for cheap because they are desperate, they don't have the overhead that legal citizens have, and there are plenty of employers who happily exploit that.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:42 PM

876 posts, read 2,141,696 times
[quote=Latina7;15098391]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post

Political parties know that we are going to be NEARLY the majority by 2030/40.............and we WILL REMEMBER......................
Does anyone here actually read inbetween the lines of what Latina is saying. Illegal immigation is an issue based on race because hispanics are racist and will say and do anything to defend illegals. Never saw 1 hispanic person say illegal immigration is wrong.
Latina sounds like she is part of the reconquesta movement.
I would like to know this latina how will this country improve when hispanics are the majority? Are you going to help make this country like mexico or some of the other south american countries.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:53 PM

12 posts, read 52,954 times
This topic is... embarrassing! It's embarrassing that its even brought up here in the NYC forum.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:05 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,620,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
I know plenty of people who work in 90 degrees. And they are WHITE. Cut the crap.
Yes, there are some people who will break concrete at 90 degree plus weather, but the majority will not, especially the middle classes, unless they own the outfit..............

You need to learn to contain your anger and prejudices..........it can get you in lots of trouble...........I know it can hard for some people.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:29 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,790,935 times
Quote:

Political parties know that we are going to be NEARLY the majority by 2030/40.............and we WILL REMEMBER......................
What exactly do you mean Latina7?

Old 07-19-2010, 08:48 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,305,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citycondo View Post
This topic is... embarrassing! It's embarrassing that its even brought up here in the NYC forum.
Why is it embarrassing? NY state has the 3rd highest amount of illegal aliens with most hiding out in NYC. Its a solid topic for an NYC forum.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:26 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,222 times
Quote:
Yes, there are some people who will break concrete at 90 degree plus weather, but the majority will not, especially the middle classes, unless they own the outfit..............

You have that backwards, missy. You are the bigot.

I come from a middle class family and most have worked in jobs in heat and sludge. My Dad used to crawl through the intake pipes that fueled the WTC and they would reach sauna level. His entire life was manual labor. My brother is a paramedic who spends most of his time outside. He too, has spend a good part of his life doing manual work, for pay or his own home.

You need to learn to contain your anger and prejudices..........it can get you in lots of trouble Um, is that some kind of threat???

...........I know it can hard for some people.

So, cut the crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City