Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 02:49 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led View Post
It's too late to save New York from all the 3rd world people it provides shelter, goods, health care, and services to. All we can do is try and slow down the floodgates to prevent them from bursting.

But seriously, people should start having to show their proper identification (SSN) when they want to rent out a room, purchase a car or a significant expense, go to a walk in clinic, go to the dentist, etc. Then we can start to filter out the criminals and illegals.
It's called a national identity card and the right has always been vehemently opposed to the creation of any national identity documents.Some of them even argue for the abolition of social security numbers and refuse to register their children.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:54 PM

762 posts, read 1,750,312 times
This is the most ignorant and preposterous discussion I've seen here in a while!

Old 07-15-2010, 03:17 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,678,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
This is the most ignorant and preposterous discussion I've seen here in a while!
Are you referring to my post as well?

Old 07-15-2010, 03:27 PM

876 posts, read 2,142,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post

This might be the most hair brained idea ever put forward on CD.

The only way it might work would be if we then turned all the hotels that would be abandoned and all the restaurants that would be closed due to the death of our tourist industry and used them as shelters and soup kitchens for the hundreds of thousands of NY'ers who would become unemployed because of the death our tourist industry.

Last I heard,tourism was one of the biggest industries in NYC and a very large percentage of the tourists are from foreign countries.I think you might be very surprised at the number who would be unable to pass your net worth test and the number who would choose not to even try to prove their net worth even though they might be able.

Talk about shooting yourself in the head because you have a headache.
Dont worry most of the tourist are actually from this country. And as for not allowing tourist visas to those who dont have 100k in property is actually a good idea. If you think people from other country's who come here and actually spend money dont have money in their home country then you are wrong. Most tourist come from asia and europe and those countries arent the problem with illegals.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
So poor immigrants should not be allowed to come here to make something for themselves?

I am with you. We should allow poor people from other countries to come here and make a better life for themselves. Isnt that how america became great? Now lets all the mexicans, haitians, south americans, and africans come here. They can make this nation great just like they made their homeland great.

Just a side note, the problem with allowing these people here is that america isnt the same america that existed in the turn of the 20th century. Back in those days if you didnt work you died. Now if you dont work the government will take care of you. The working classes becomes the slaves for the non working class. You will see america will lose its world power status in the next 100 years.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
It's called a national identity card and the right has always been vehemently opposed to the creation of any national identity documents.Some of them even argue for the abolition of social security numbers and refuse to register their children.
The reason the right is against national identity documents is because the more the government can track you the less freedom you have. The right wing nut jobs like their freedom. They can learn a lot from the left. Back in germany in the 1930s they have national identity documents which help identify who was jewish. Those people against that kind of government are right wing nut jobs who dont know what is good for them.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:43 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
There are tons of undocumented West Indians in Brooklyn. There are tons of undocumented Dominicans in the city.

As a child of immigrants who came 3 decades ago, I think the problem should be addressed.
Not long ago, I read a statistic on the largest number of illegal aliens in New York City by community. Believe me when I tell you--it came as a surprise to know that two of the largest such groups are Israelis and Poles!

I'm a third-generation New Yorker; my grandparents came here around the time of World War I. And I also believe the problem has to be addressed. But I wouldn't know where to start; immigrants (whether legal or otherwise) are so tightly woven into the fabric of this city, I think it would be almost impossible to start weeding out the ones that don't belong here, legally.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:51 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Not long ago, I read a statistic on the largest number of illegal aliens in New York City by community. Believe me when I tell you--it came as a surprise to know that two of the largest such groups are Israelis and Poles!..........
And as an Irish American with more than a few cousins here illegally I can assure you that the numbers of illegal Irish are way up there too.

It's funny because all the rage gets focused on the illegals with darker skin because of our( American) innate racist tendency's and people don't stop to think how many light skinned illegals there actually are here.

I wonder why

Old 07-15-2010, 07:14 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woozle View Post
If they didn't get here by illegally crossing the border, they must've gotten tourist visas to come to NYC. .
True, but a lot of illegals, particularly from the West Indies, snuck into ( or were let into Miami) and then just made they're way North. Sadly, NYC will probably be one of the last places in the US to enact any real strong immigration laws. My last visit home, I remember Tribeca no longer looking the US. It was ridiculous!
I voted for the Pres but its dissapointing to keep hearing him say we need "reform" which basically means amnesty.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:30 PM

244 posts, read 568,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
True, but a lot of illegals, particularly from the West Indies, snuck into ( or were let into Miami) and then just made they're way North. Sadly, NYC will probably be one of the last places in the US to enact any real strong immigration laws. My last visit home, I remember Tribeca no longer looking the US. It was ridiculous!
I voted for the Pres but its dissapointing to keep hearing him say we need "reform" which basically means amnesty.
Please elaborate.

Tribeca is perhaps the most expensive and exclusive neighborhood in NYC and one of the most expensive in the world.... what exactly did Tribeca look like during your last vist? Tribeca used to be gritty and now Tribeca has never looked better.

Unless there is another Tribeca in NYC that I'm not aware of, I somehow doubt Tribeca has been overrun by immigrants from the third world. The only immigrants who live in Tribeca are wealthy Russians and Europeans who purchase these lofts as second homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City