Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 06:51 PM

65 posts, read 186,645 times

Advertisements

Nooo, never!!!! Lol! But Calderon has no control over his own country. The cartels have too many government officials in their pockets. Calderon cannot stop the violence.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:43 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,308,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
I am surprised to see so many in nyc agreeing about the negative aspect of illegals coming to this country. Maybe just maybe things will turn around in 2010 and 2012. I have hope. Yes we can
I was just wondering,are you personally ok with someone sneaking in ur big house, living quietly in the basement, secretly running up your gas and electric bills and eating your food; and then when you finally find them will you say "well you been here this long so u might as well stay".
The Pres is actually losing a lot of support b/c he keeps throwing out his idea for amnesty and a fine that will never be paid.
NYC sadly is a bit of a sanctuary for illegal immigrants. If NYC finds itself broke, maybe the mayor should crackdown on illegal folks instead of doing things like raising the tolls on bridges, tunnels and subways

Old 07-18-2010, 03:09 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,682,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
I was just wondering,are you personally ok with someone sneaking in ur big house, living quietly in the basement, secretly running up your gas and electric bills and eating your food; and then when you finally find them will you say "well you been here this long so u might as well stay".
The Pres is actually losing a lot of support b/c he keeps throwing out his idea for amnesty and a fine that will never be paid.
NYC sadly is a bit of a sanctuary for illegal immigrants. If NYC finds itself broke, maybe the mayor should crackdown on illegal folks instead of doing things like raising the tolls on bridges, tunnels and subways

1. Illegals are not a burden to our system. In fact, they put more into the system that they can get out of it.

2. New York is a city of immigrants. I will say 7/10 NYCers can say that their grandparents were immigrants.

3. NYC mayors and NY governors have said that they welcome all immigrants whether they are illegal or legal.

I'm surprised that there are so much anti-immigrant sentiment on this board.

Here is an article from 1993 where Mayor, Rudy, said that he welcomes all illegals to city as long as they don't break any laws. Mario Cuomo said that his family came in the way many may consider illegal today.

Quote:
"Some of the hardest-working and most productive people in this city are undocumented aliens," Mr. Giuliani said. "If you come here and you work hard and you happen to be in an undocumented status, you're one of the people who we want in this city. You're somebody that we want to protect, and we want you to get out from under what is often a life of being like a fugitive, which is really unfair."
Quote:
The politics of immigration is different in New York. Immigration and burden are two words that do not appear often -- or without raising a furor -- in the same sentence. Whatever their legal status, immigrants are considered a fact of life, a point of pride and an integral part of New York City's identity. Many New Yorkers know well that their own forebears arrived without papers.
Quote:
"So many of the Irish, so many of the Italians who came when my parents came, were technically illegal," Mr. Cuomo said.
New York Officials Welcome Immigrants, Legal or Illegal - NYTimes.com

Old 07-18-2010, 04:17 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,308,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
1. Illegals are not a burden to our system. In fact, they put more into the system that they can get out of it.

2. New York is a city of immigrants. I will say 7/10 NYCers can say that their grandparents were immigrants.

3. NYC mayors and NY governors have said that they welcome all immigrants whether they are illegal or legal.

Illegal - NYTimes.com
Ok, I see ur missing the point. So I'll say it once more: if u came into the county "ILLEGALLY", theres really no more conversation after that. It doesnt matter how quiet you have been, how hard you have worked; the minute you hit American soil "ILLEGALLY", you broke the law. Any points made after that are moot

Who said that everything that comes out of the mouth of the mayor and governor is holy? Not to mention they probably hired cheap labor to work on there lawns, yards, ect...

Not to mention, many immigrants came here long ago before there was social service network to eat up. So the historical points dont count in this debate. How do they put into the system when many work in The U.S and then send money back home?

NYC, Boston, Los Angeles, these arent the only major cities in the world. Theres London, Paris, Madrid and many other big cities in 1st world countries, but why invade NYC and the US in general, b/c for whatever reason we like taking care of everybody else's kids. That bugs me out

Old 07-18-2010, 04:35 PM

876 posts, read 2,142,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Ok, I see ur missing the point. So I'll say it once more: if u came into the county "ILLEGALLY", theres really no more conversation after that. It doesnt matter how quiet you have been, how hard you have worked; the minute you hit American soil "ILLEGALLY", you broke the law. Any points made after that are moot

Who said that everything that comes out of the mouth of the mayor and governor is holy? Not to mention they probably hired cheap labor to work on there lawns, yards, ect...

Not to mention, many immigrants came here long ago before there was social service network to eat up. So the historical points dont count in this debate. How do they put into the system when many work in The U.S and then send money back home?

NYC, Boston, Los Angeles, these arent the only major cities in the world. Theres London, Paris, Madrid and many other big cities in 1st world countries, but why invade NYC and the US in general, b/c for whatever reason we like taking care of everybody else's kids. That bugs me out

Dont you get it. The fact that they come here illegally and break the law means nothing to them. Many people who are pro illegal immigrates want open boarders. You see people in america are doing too well it isnt fair. We need to spread the wealth, open boarders can help fix this social injustice.
By the way someone said that illegals give more then they take from the system. Is there anyway you can prove that statement or you make it up as you go along?

Old 07-18-2010, 04:43 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,035,933 times
Quote:

Bull. Most of them work under the table. The have a LOT of anchor babies. They get their medical care at the ER and taxpayers pay for it. Hospitals are going bankrupt. All those kids go to our schools. A large number of these people are members of major gangs as well. This increases costs for police and incarceration.

Yes. Mine were LEGAL. I even have the paperwork from Ellis Island.

Idiots. They should be arrested for harboring criminals.

Correction. Anti-ILLEGAL-immigration. There is a difference.

Here is an article from 1993 where Mayor, Rudy, said that he welcomes all illegals to city as long as they don't break any laws.

If they are illegal, they have ALREADY broken the law

Mario Cuomo said that his family came in the way many may consider illegal today.
I don't get where he could say this since he brags that his family came through Ellis Island, which makes them legal

Old 07-18-2010, 05:06 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,682,796 times
1. Being illegal in this country is not a crime. It's a civil penalty.

2. Everybody in the US pays taxes. Have you heard of the sales tax?

Old 07-18-2010, 06:44 PM

876 posts, read 2,142,541 times
Quote:
1. Being illegal in this country is not a crime. It's a civil penalty.

2. Everybody in the US pays taxes. Have you heard of the sales tax?

They dont pay enough sales tax to make up for their kids education and hospital visits. Come on be honest. You saw what i posted before.
Can you answer this question.
Do you want open boarders?

Old 07-18-2010, 07:45 PM

65 posts, read 186,645 times
The amount of sales tax they pay on milk and bread is pale compared to what we who are here legally pay in income tax, property tax, etc. Oh, and we pay sales tax too!
Many illegals also apply for and get SSI, welfare, WIC, etc. Yes, many of them work very hard, but as someone else stated, they work under the table. This places a huge burden on those of us who pay taxes.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:35 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,354,821 times
I met a guy who came here from Ecuador and obtained documentation to work in the US. He worked here for 15 years in a paper factory that recently shut down and moved to Mexico. It made me think about a person's perceptions about what they gain by coming to America illegally. They work at substandard jobs, often live in tight, crowded conditions (i.e., firetraps) but can't report violations, and could be deported at any time. With NAFTA and businesses that used to employ people in menial labor moving abroad, is it still worthwhile to come to the US -- especially when you don't know any English? From what I understand, in comparison to the 80s - 90s, things really improved in S. America. So even if you're a campesino, wouldn't it be worthwhile to get an education in your own country to improve your life there?

Last edited by queensgrl; 07-18-2010 at 08:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City