Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 04:13 PM

447 posts, read 1,564,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nala8 View Post
Because HarlemNewbie is from the midwest that makes her a yuppie? What am I missing here?
The stereotype is that midwestern transplants are yuppies.
Just a stereotype. Anyways you should move home.
There are other places to live besides new york city.
Somewhere you can actually live a decent life. Mcdonalds pays more than that job you were offered.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:55 PM

483 posts, read 854,327 times
Some of you need to relax. No need to belittle HarlemNewbie, she has enough stress to deal with. This is just an experience in this game of twists and turns called life for her.

HarlemNewbie, I, too, would consider the $20k job offer, no it's not much but I am sure there are plenty of opportunities for advancement in this position. If possible, I would keep waitressing on the side and focus on the position. In the meantime, keep filling out as many applications and be very tenacious; of course that's if you really want to stay in the city. I guess you need to really figure that out. NYC will always be here even if you have to leave and come back when the economy is better. You just have to do what you have to do when you really want something.

Last edited by kandle; 07-19-2010 at 05:11 PM..

Old 07-19-2010, 04:58 PM

541 posts, read 1,902,676 times
Considering that the OP is contemplating a job that only pays 20K I think it would be safe to say that the term "yuppie" doesn't fit. Just saying.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:07 PM

217 posts, read 554,119 times
I was going to say move back until you said Michigan. That state is really hurting right now. 2 options would remain if it was me. Going to a new city (not in Mich.) or seeing what happens here. Dont feel bad if you choose to leave. Im a born and breed NYer and was on the way out when the bottom fell out of our economy (Im not moving and buying a house if I might lose a chunk of its worth soon after buying). Not because I couldnt make it, I just wanted what I see other friends and family have who live outside NY. Much more for much less. I know the argument about, 'It isnt NY though'. Ive done my research and NYC isnt the only place in the world to live. I've had 30+ years of being overcharged and bumped into while walking .

Unfortunatly, nowadays, NYC is not a total HIT like it once was. All states are struggling right now so there is no 'Hey, move here its awesome' type of place. Pick the least suckiest option as sad as that sounds.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:20 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
HarlemNewbie, you have only yourself to answer to, whatever you decide, so don't worry about the big picture and how things seem to others. I agree with the career-building advice you have been given, and I can say as someone who has conducted interviews, that the way you present yourself (not just appearance, but mood and attitude) goes a long way to securing the potential position.

You are now waiting tables, so my advice to you would be to use that situation to your advantage. Treat every customer who comes into the restaurant as a potential interviewer, and use the experiences in your current job to help you get a better read on people. Approach each of them with the same enthusiasm that you would if they were offering you a $60k/year paralegal job. Give them the same smile and attitude that you would give to a potential employer, since I think it would do wonders to lift your spirits.

NYC also has some great places that you can explore at low cost or for free, so get out there and play tourist! Take a walking tour around neighborhoods that you like, and see what exists in your new town. You should even look at different neighborhoods with an eye to the future, so that you can find a place where you would like to live when circumstances afford it.

You made a big leap of faith moving to NYC, so you're already halfway there. Just give yourself some time, and adjust your attitude skyward, since YOU deserve to have the positive outlook on life, no matter the current circumstances. You are scraping by, and the only place to go is up, so where would you like to make those advances? You've got an incredible city at your door, so network as best you can, attend career events, and stay focused. Every day that you spend waiting tables is one day closer to working at a position that would give breathing room to the budget, and giving you room to grow.

One other suggestion would be to network with a service that provides low cost/free legal services to people in need. You never know who you might meet volunteering there, who might see that you're a bright, energetic person, and that could lead to a position. I would suggest finding a group and asking how you could help them, and give them a run down of your qualifications, letting them know that you would be happy to help in whatever capacity they might need. You might make friends with other paralegals, law students, lawyers, etc. and they might hear of a position and think of you. On the down side, it's something else to add to the resume, which would give you some concrete experience in NYC, and shows your commitment.

Good luck, and please don't give up on yourself, since I think you have great courage to relocate halfway across the country and start anew in NYC. It's only a matter of time before you can plug into the resources to let your career begin to build in a chosen profession, and you can fondly look back on your early days in the city and know that YOU DID IT!!!!!

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-19-2010, 11:19 PM

447 posts, read 1,564,424 times
Dont advise her to stay! Are you seriously telling her she should take a job offering 20k a year in NYC?
Even in a place that is cheap 20k is not a lot of money at all. She should not go to Michigan either. I would advise to find a job in another city that has a low cost of living. NYC is not worth it to live in a ghetto/drug den apartment just because its NYC!
anyways for 20k you will make around $1650 a month. You can spend maybe $550(1/3 of income) on rent with that salary. Even in Brownsville you wont get much for $550.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:09 AM

118 posts, read 443,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycistheplace2 View Post
Dont advise her to stay! Are you seriously telling her she should take a job offering 20k a year in NYC?
Even in a place that is cheap 20k is not a lot of money at all. She should not go to Michigan either. I would advise to find a job in another city that has a low cost of living. NYC is not worth it to live in a ghetto/drug den apartment just because its NYC!
anyways for 20k you will make around $1650 a month. You can spend maybe $550(1/3 of income) on rent with that salary. Even in Brownsville you wont get much for $550.
Haha. Thanks for reminding me why I stay out of Queens, and avoid people like you!

Old 07-20-2010, 04:08 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
Sounds like the honeymoon wore off for somebody. It does for everybody.

Actually you're not doing that bad if you're taking home $2k/mo...that's like $32k/yr or thereabouts before taxes. It would be unrealistic to expect much better from an entry level position with only a bachelors degree in most fields.

It seems that was a pretty hard angle to cut, moving to a city like this in a lousy economy, fresh out of undergrad with no professional experience, so if life is kicking your butt a little bit I'm not too surprised. Your family and dog might sound comforting, but there will be no vindication if you give up and go back. You likely will, however, be bitter about the whole experience for a long time if you call it quits before realizing any of the potential. Sets a bad tone for the start of your career which could have implications that reach who knows how far.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:58 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,303,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Actually you're not doing that bad if you're taking home $2k/mo...that's like $32k/yr or thereabouts before taxes. It would be unrealistic to expect much better from an entry level position with only a bachelors degree in most fields.
Who said take home $2K/mo? The offer was $20K a year before taxes, not anywhere near $32K.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:37 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
Who said take home $2K/mo? The offer was $20K a year before taxes, not anywhere near $32K.
Read the first post in the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemNewbie View Post
I have been waiting tables since then, making about $2K per month after taxes. My living expenses are about $1250 a month total, but I have no quality of life and am basically just "scraping by".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City