Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 12:28 AM

581 posts, read 1,243,944 times

Advertisements

such an old thread to respond to. anyway,

I live in elmont in nassau county and i wouldnt say cambria heights is wealthy. its a nice neighborhood(sp) with working class people but not wealthy. I think rosedale is a wealthier place than cambria heights. To me the houses in rosedale are much larger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 12:36 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,352,409 times
I responded to this thread a while ago saying that I don't think there's a NYC equivalent to the type of neighborhoods the poster referenced in DC. Neither Cambria Heights nor Rosedale would be considered wealthy neighborhoods. They simply don't have the income levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehouse View Post
such an old thread to respond to. anyway,

I live in elmont in nassau county and i wouldnt say cambria heights is wealthy. its a nice neighborhood(sp) with working class people but not wealthy. I think rosedale is a wealthier place than cambria heights. To me the houses in rosedale are much larger.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:11 PM

836 posts, read 851,866 times
I'd say Flatbush, East Flatbush, and Crown Heights are very middle class, and it's mostly West Indian!!!!

Old 03-10-2010, 05:38 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,776,075 times
I remember back in the 80's there were several well-to-do black families in White Plains, not sure what the demographics are today.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:17 PM

172 posts, read 273,545 times
In the New York City metro, the wealthiest neighborhoods with the highest percentage of African-Americans are .....all in New Jersey.

Neighborhoods with the highest share of top wealthiest African Americans... ($1M+ net worth I think):

Newstead - 26.5% African American (South Orange Village, New York City Metro) (Second highest in the United States)

Montrose Park North - 26.4% African American (South Orange Village, New York City Metro)

Newstead North - 13.8% African American (South Orange Village, New York City Metro)

Llewellyn Park - 9.8% African American (West Orange, New York City Metro)

Wykagyl Park-Beechmont Woods - 9% African American (New Rochelle, New York City Metro)

Watchung Street Station-Central Montclair - 8.5% African American (Montclair Township, New York City Metro)

Orienta - 7.2% African American (Mamaroneck Village, New York City Metro)

East Hill - 7% African American (Englewood, New York City Metro)

Wealthiest African-Americans are mostly in the NYC and DC areas.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:57 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,352,409 times
Hi gulfstream,
You've posted what I have always thought but never had any documentation to support. What's your source?

Thanks.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:12 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,810,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
I don't believe that NY has an equivalent -- I have been searching for it myself and have not found it yet. The SE Queens neighborhoods that many of you have listed (Laurelton, St. Albans, Cambria Heights, Springfield Gardens) are more solidly working/middle class neighborhoods (I know, I grew up there). Blacks, as you have described, tend to NOT live in the five boros, especially if they have children. Many I know are in NJ, and Westchester. There was a huge exodus of the black professional class in the '80s-90s. Many left (understandably) because the crack epidemic destroyed our once nice neighborhoods. Jamaica Estates is a mixed neighborhood -- white north of the Grand Central Parkway and asian south of the parkway. Blacks tend to live in the apartments close to Hillside Avenue.
The following neighborhoods are mixed but I think have more of a concentration of the type of black people you're looking for than any neighborhood in NYC:
New Jersey: West Orange, Maplewood, (some parts of Plainfield), Teaneck, Hackensack, Montclair
New York: New Rochelle, White Plains zip code 10607
Connecticut: Norwalk
To the OP, most of the comments in this thread are either from those who don't comprehend what you're looking for or simply are not correct.

The above poster is the only one to offer real information.

I know what's going on in the DC area and Atlanta, as well as to a lessor extent N.C. Unfortunately, a similar such circumstance has not developed in the NYC area. Frankly, over the last 20 years or so, the sort of AAs you're looking for have escaped this city and settled en masse in, DC/Atlanta/NC. So, you're not going to find whole towns or neighborhoods. Up here commensurate salaries and house prices would be well in excess of $500K and $1M respectively. There just isn't a mass of concentrated black income of that sort here. Rather, it is dispersed; there are small enclaves usually within liberal towns, and those mixed in and among all over the tri-state area.

That said, within the confines of NYC, Queens is your only suburban type option, and that would be the neighborhoods of Jamaica Estates (despite some of the nonsense spouted previously) and Hollis Heights, here you'll find the sort of commensurate homes you might expect, but it is not all black. There are a goodly number though, and the areas neighbor other areas of middle class blacks.

Other than that you could seek out the enclaves existing in larger neighborhoods of Harlem (Sugar Hill, Strivers Row), Bed-Stuy (Stuyvesant Heights), Flatbush (Prospect Lefferts Gardens). most of these areas are traditionally black bourgeois, but are in some stage of gentrification.

Dix Hills on Long Island is a rich liberal town, where blacks of professional economic stature live in and among. Towns in New Jersey, Montclair, Teaneck and Tenafly, are liberal areas where such blacks have settled over the last 40 years or so; but is not solely black, nor necessarily predominantly black.

Also in NJ are the sister towns of South Orange and Maplewood. South Orange in particular has a significant population of middle and upper middle class blacks. Both towns are VERY liberal.

Oh, and there is Alpine, NJ, quite similar to Dix Hills, rich and liberal.

Lastly, there is Westchester county, where I believe the towns of New Rochelle, Mount Vernon and Yonkers which have areas of upper middle class (and downright rich) blacks.

You'll need to do your homework to determine which area is right for you. If you work Google, you should find articles regarding most of the towns and areas above and the blacks who live or have settled there.

Other than that you can just move to Manhattan live in and among and create or locate a community of blacks of like income and social status.

Oh, and here's a final thought, presuming you have the income and social status, there is the town of Sag Harbor on Long Island. It is a part of the Hamptons and has a significant population of upper class and rich blacks who summer there; but you can live there full time as long as its convenient to your work.

JFYI, traditionally the way its done here is either you live in and among, in Manhattan, the suburbs, or in traditional areas of the hood. Then summer together in the traditional places.

Luck!

Old 03-14-2010, 11:07 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,229,275 times
There are no wealthy black hoods. But some nice Middle class hoods in Queens such as Jamaica Estates, St Albans, and those areas bordering N.C., L.I. These are very well maintained neighborhoods, with nice homes and tree lined streets...but a way out there from the city. Very suburban.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:58 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Been there. More of the city is ghetto, but no worse then what you find in NYC or Newark.
Hmm...don't know about that. Philadelphia has white ghettoes. Not just tough blue-collar white neighborhoods, but white ghettoes where Irish hustle alongside blacks and Puerto Ricans. There's a section of town dubbed the "Badlands" that's full of very, very poor white people. The only other place I've seen this is Baltimore.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:05 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
And the District of Columbia does not have that many middle class blacks. The best areas for black families, in descending order of preference, are (1) 16th Street (Gold Coast), (2) Shepherd Park, (3) Takoma, (4) Michigan Park and (5) Hillcrest. In fact, these are the only areas where I would consider raising kids in DC. And there are only a handful of good schools in the city: Bunker Hill for elementary, Stuart Hobson/Alice Deal/Jefferson for junior high, and Banneker/Wilson/Walls (maybe) for high school. Beyond that, there aren't too many options, so I'm not sure that DC is really much better than NYC for blacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City