Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 02:02 PM

8 posts, read 50,485 times

Advertisements

I live in DC now and there are quite a few predominately African American (55% and above) neighborhoods such as Crestwood, Shepherd's Park, Michigan Park and Colonial Village in and around the DC metro area where you can find well manicured lawns, 600K+ homes, good schools and residence with post grad degrees. Are there any areas or communities in NYC or the metropolitan area that are similar, or is it more of predominately Black neighborhood = poor neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 03:02 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times
Most black people that do better for themselves end up leaving NYC. Which is sort of bad in a way. Same thing with Hispanics. It would be good for the black community in the NYC area if there were neighborhoods like the ones you mentioned, but there really aren't.

There are spots here and there throughout the city that historically have been known for having upper class black people, but not really whole neighborhoods.

There is one neighborhood either in queens or LI I've heard people mention that is similar to what you described. I can't remember the name though.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:14 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvansDad View Post
I live in DC now and there are quite a few predominately African American (55% and above) neighborhoods such as Crestwood, Shepherd's Park, Michigan Park and Colonial Village in and around the DC metro area where you can find well manicured lawns, 600K+ homes, good schools and residence with post grad degrees. Are there any areas or communities in NYC or the metropolitan area that are similar, or is it more of predominately Black neighborhood = poor neighborhood?
Unfortunately there are not to many dominant middle class Black areas in northeastern cities. The only middle class Black neighborhood in NYC is Cambria Heights. From what I hear it seems to be an excellent neighborhood. Right along the Queens/Nassau border.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Most black people that do better for themselves end up leaving NYC. Which is sort of bad in a way. Same thing with Hispanics. It would be good for the black community in the NYC area if there were neighborhoods like the ones you mentioned, but there really aren't.

There are spots here and there throughout the city that historically have been known for having upper class black people, but not really whole neighborhoods.

There is one neighborhood either in queens or LI I've heard people mention that is similar to what you described. I can't remember the name though.
NYC is a VERY different place for low income Blacks and Latinos.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:36 PM

34,043 posts, read 47,252,748 times
The following neighborhoods are predominantly Black, middle and upper class:

St. Albans, Addesleigh Park, Rosedale, Cambria Heights, Hollis Hills, Jamaica Estates, thats all i can think of in Queens.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:37 PM

34,043 posts, read 47,252,748 times
i forgot Laurelton

Old 06-22-2007, 05:39 PM

206 posts, read 514,330 times
If you want to consider the burbs, look in Nassau county and Westchester.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:41 PM

319 posts, read 493,727 times
The best I can think of is Jamaica Estates. Around Hillside and 180th.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:43 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,994,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneBKLYN View Post
The best I can think of is Jamaica Estates. Around Hillside and 180th.
Tell that to the 101 year old that got beat down in her buildings lobby over the winter. You remember the video. Jamaica Estates is really the best you can think of?

Old 06-22-2007, 09:00 PM

31 posts, read 236,770 times
These areas are predominatly black, middle class areas: Parts of Hollis and East Elmhurst to name a couple in Queens. Mount Vernon near Westchester/Bronx is a really nice upper class area that is also predominatly black, the houses are beautiful there.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:07 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,147 times
I think you mean Mount Vernon near Bronxville in the Fleetwood neighborhood. The parts of Mount Vernon near the Bronx (where the 2 line ends) is kind of sketchy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City