Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 12:40 PM

45 posts, read 161,380 times

Advertisements

Wow these are some of the craziest commutes Ive ever heard!
When I first started working at Newark Airport and I lived by LaGuardia. (go figure) I start work at 5am So I would leave my house at 1:45am drive to the train catch the N Train. Take that to 34th to take the PATH train and transfer to another PATH train at Jersey city. THEN take that to Newark Penn Station, where I would then catch the bus to the airport! Boy that took a serious toll on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 01:23 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkjoj View Post
Wow these are some of the craziest commutes Ive ever heard!
When I first started working at Newark Airport and I lived by LaGuardia. (go figure) I start work at 5am So I would leave my house at 1:45am drive to the train catch the N Train. Take that to 34th to take the PATH train and transfer to another PATH train at Jersey city. THEN take that to Newark Penn Station, where I would then catch the bus to the airport! Boy that took a serious toll on me.
at least there wasn't bad traffic@ 1:45 AM i would imagine.

but,would it have been better and faster to drive 100 percent of the way?

Old 05-23-2011, 01:26 PM

my longest commute door to door was briarwood [queens] to rockefeller center. if i remember correctly it was 70 minutes on average, ocassionally 60 minutes if luck was on my side.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:40 PM

175 posts, read 487,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
my longest commute door to door was briarwood [queens] to rockefeller center. if i remember correctly it was 70 minutes on average, ocassionally 60 minutes if luck was on my side.

You must had lived way into briarwood. Usually takes me about 30 mins door to door to rockefeller but then im right across the F train.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkFriedRice View Post
You must had lived way into briarwood. Usually takes me about 30 mins door to door to rockefeller but then im right across the F train.
my train was also the F -but sadly my apt. wasn't too close to the station. iirc, the F would almost always pause multiple times as if it were struggling (chugging) to reach western queens. when i looked at people's faces, the faces seemed blank and 'used to it', like it was par for the course. all those pauses made me roll my eyes. it was my first time living in queens. other than the distance to the van wyck station the apartment was awesome in many ways. i should clarify my comment --'almost always' pertained to weekday A.M. rush hour. P.M. rush was always faster (and i have a theory on that (A.M. & P.M. speed difference) if anyone's curious)

Old 05-23-2011, 01:55 PM

140 posts, read 269,045 times
I commute from the Philly suburbs. It takes me about two hours each way on Amtrak. The monthly ticket is $1242 as of right now. Back in the nineties, I commuted from Long Island to Manhattan for the better part of two years. I much prefer commuting from Philly. The Amtrak trains are very comfortable and I can get a lot of work done if I'm inclined to do so. The LIRR trains on the other hand are aweful by comparison. They are very crowded during peak hours and the seats are not adjustable.

Philadelphia is a very good option for people who have been priced out of the New York housing market. You can buy a three floor row house in one of the historic neighborhoods for $700K (as opposed to $3 million+ in NYC). Or you can buy a great condo apartment in the center of the city for $600K. If you're an experienced professional, you can afford the Amtrak ticket since you're paid at a higher rate in NYC. I'll be moving back to Manhattan in a couple of months because my family is in the NYC area and my wife prefers it here, but Philly is really no worse an option (better in many cases IMO) than the NY suburbs.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:04 PM

175 posts, read 487,266 times
Quote:
my train was also the F -but sadly my apt. wasn't too close to the station. iirc, the F would almost always pause multiple times as if it were struggling (chugging) to reach western queens. when i looked at people's faces, the faces seemed blank and 'used to it', like it was par for the course. all those pauses made me roll my eyes. it was my first time living in queens. other than the distance to the van wyck station the apartment was awesome in many ways. i should clarify my comment --'almost always' pertained to weekday A.M. rush hour. P.M. rush was always faster (and i have a theory on that (A.M. & P.M. speed difference) if anyone's curious)
I have the opposite theory lol. Its always faster for me in the AM, but PM is like half and half.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkFriedRice View Post
I have the opposite theory lol. Its always faster for me in the AM, but PM is like half and half.
maybe cuz you're itchin' to get home

Old 05-23-2011, 02:20 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,580,539 times
Quote:
Wow, 70 minute? I currently commute to midtown east from Briarwood and it's 30 minutes door-to-door! Very rarely it takes longer because of "train traffic ahead of us" or a sick passenger, but usually it is very quick albeit very packed. I come home late so I miss the rush hour and it's usually very quick as well.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
Wow, 70 minute? I currently commute to midtown east from Briarwood and it's 30 minutes door-to-door! Very rarely it takes longer because of "train traffic ahead of us" or a sick passenger, but usually it is very quick albeit very packed. I come home late so I miss the rush hour and it's usually very quick as well.
my apt. was far from the station (at least 1,200 feet). plus around rockefeller center my office building was kind of far from that station, and once inside it, i also included the minutes to ride the elevator up to a high floor. maybe i should've said door-to-desk. or maybe my memory is shoddy. this was 2005.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City