Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2010, 04:33 PM

439 posts, read 959,161 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone...I am go excited to come to the city at the best time of the year. Will be arriving Dec 15 and leaving late Dec 18. I am fortunate to have discount tickets for most of the tourist places including the holiday Rockets show. Now what I need help with is dining, especially for my anniversary on 12-16 and the big 60 on the 17th. We are staying at the "On the Avenue" in Manhatten and may have some friends/family members joining. We are in our 60's and are fairly hip so do not want the typical ole folks tourist areas...I am looking for atmosphere, views, great food and service where we can dress up and add others to our table if needed. Now I will tell you that there are no Trump names in our group however I am not on a super strict budget. Some questions I have would be on the special nights, are cabs waiting outside of most places to run you around and what are the do's and don'ts. We are both very street smart and my husband is a bruiser so I am not worried about security...we are mobile and can walk aways..just want to see and do alot during our couple of days. Oh..we like most foods but are from Virginia so nice steaks/seafood are a plus! Thank you in advance for your remarks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 04:44 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
Yes is most of Manhattan (most likely all the places you will be) there will be cabs driving around, unless its raining then it gets tricky but you can always buy an umbrella on the corner (I recommend the $5 model of the $3 model lol)

There is a good italian restaurant called Fiorellos in Lincoln Center that my parents love and I love it too. I think a fun anniversary thing to do would be to walk the highline part at sunset. It starts at 20th and 10th and goes down to the meatpacking district. Its very pretty.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:57 PM

343 posts, read 1,025,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudydog1 View Post
Hello everyone...I am go excited to come to the city at the best time of the year. Will be arriving Dec 15 and leaving late Dec 18. I am fortunate to have discount tickets for most of the tourist places including the holiday Rockets show. Now what I need help with is dining, especially for my anniversary on 12-16 and the big 60 on the 17th. We are staying at the "On the Avenue" in Manhatten and may have some friends/family members joining. We are in our 60's and are fairly hip so do not want the typical ole folks tourist areas...I am looking for atmosphere, views, great food and service where we can dress up and add others to our table if needed. Now I will tell you that there are no Trump names in our group however I am not on a super strict budget. Some questions I have would be on the special nights, are cabs waiting outside of most places to run you around and what are the do's and don'ts. We are both very street smart and my husband is a bruiser so I am not worried about security...we are mobile and can walk aways..just want to see and do alot during our couple of days. Oh..we like most foods but are from Virginia so nice steaks/seafood are a plus! Thank you in advance for your remarks.
Del Frescos is a really good steak house, on 49th and 6th, which is right across from Radio City Music Hall.

Blue Water Grill in Union Square has the atmosphere, the famous Union Square Park. I was just there for my birthday. They have great Jazz on the lower level in the early-late evening.

For sweeping city views, head over to the Brooklyn Bridge River Cafe, and while your down there, explore the fulton ferry landing and the dumbo neighborhood down by water street (in brooklyn).

Time Warner Center is good for shopping, lounging, mini cafes and people watching. You can walk from there up Broadway to Lincoln Center area, explore the upper west side, the museums, central park west.

Cabs are everywhere. You will not have a problem catching a cab in Manhattan at any time of day.

Pick up a copies of the Village Voice and Time Out NY when you get here. They have great cultural events going on for the week that are fun for groups.

It will be winter, so it will be very cold.

Enjoy.

Last edited by TheBoros; 07-21-2010 at 10:26 PM..

Old 07-23-2010, 04:05 AM

439 posts, read 959,161 times
Default Tipping in NYC

Thank you for your responses...next question is the tipping for cabs and other food services. I noticed on one thread that cab rides should be flat fare instead of time...especially from the airport, any other suggestions? Also since I live in the country when you catch a cab are some non smoking I hope? Do not get out much

Old 07-23-2010, 06:11 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
Quote:
Thank you for your responses...next question is the tipping for cabs and other food services. I noticed on one thread that cab rides should be flat fare instead of time...especially from the airport, any other suggestions? Also since I live in the country when you catch a cab are some non smoking I hope? Do not get out much
I think the ONLY time a cab ride is a flat fair is from the airport. I might be wrong tho. I know there are special charges if you want to go to certain far off places.

Smoking in cabs is really up to the discretion of the driver. I have been with smokers and we have actually had a pretty difficult time getting a cab that allowed smoking.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:23 AM

343 posts, read 1,025,855 times
Quote:
Taxi and Limo Commission Policy states that all cabs are non-smoking. There is a flat fee at all times if you are going to/from JFK which is 45+tolls (which are 5.50).

LGA does not have a flat rate, you will pay the per 1/5th mile meter rate.

NY Airport has an express bus that drops you off at Penn Station and Grand Central Station for about $15 one way. They have service to both airports.

Last edited by TheBoros; 07-23-2010 at 07:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City