Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 12:57 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,198,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycistheplace2 View Post
Under $1500 will get you in Harlem or Washington heights.
This person may not know how to act in these neighborhoods and get into trouble. She may be from a non-urban area and criminals living there prey on white people. $1500 wont even get a good area in Brooklyn either unless you like living in closet-sized apartments.

$1500 will get you more then Washington Heights or Harlem, granted, MOST of whats available for $1500 or less will be in Northern Manhattan, I have seen UES apartments (in fact, I frequently see these), Ive seen UWS apartments, Ive seen them in the Financial District, Ive even seen the odd one in SoHo or the Village.

Plus, there is always Roosevelt Island. Ive seen a few there, and the F stops right on the Island.

The thing about Queens and Brooklyn, from what Ive seen, is that all of the "good areas" such as Park Slope tend to me more pricier then much of Manhattan.

As for the closet sized apartments, yeah, thats a symptom of NYC (its actually a symptom of any high density urban conglomeration on the globe). If you dont like that and its a deal breaker, and arent pulling down a Wall Street salary, you probably shouldnt bother with New York, Ill give you that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 01:19 PM

447 posts, read 1,564,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
$1500 will get you more then Washington Heights or Harlem, granted, MOST of whats available for $1500 or less will be in Northern Manhattan, I have seen UES apartments (in fact, I frequently see these), Ive seen UWS apartments, Ive seen them in the Financial District, Ive even seen the odd one in SoHo or the Village.

Plus, there is always Roosevelt Island. Ive seen a few there, and the F stops right on the Island.

The thing about Queens and Brooklyn, from what Ive seen, is that all of the "good areas" such as Park Slope tend to me more pricier then much of Manhattan.

As for the closet sized apartments, yeah, thats a symptom of NYC (its actually a symptom of any high density urban conglomeration on the globe). If you dont like that and its a deal breaker, and arent pulling down a Wall Street salary, you probably shouldnt bother with New York, Ill give you that.
Are you okay?
did you hit your head? You will NEVER and I mean NEVER find an apartment that cheap in Manhattan unless its next to a crack house on 133rd st.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Are you okay?
did you hit your head? You will NEVER and I mean NEVER find an apartment that cheap in Manhattan unless its next to a crack house on 133rd st.

You are simply not right man. Craigslist is full of them, and a new one is added every 30 seconds or so. You can even sort it by neighborhood.

Ignoring Craigslist

One site gave me the following that arent in Harlem, Inwood, or Washington Heights

New York City Inwood For rent 1BR - Manhattan apartments. NYC rentals= $1396 UWS (there are a number on the UWS)

New York City Washington Heights For rent 1BR - Manhattan apartments. NYC rentals= $1400 UES (there are literally dozens on UES)

New York City Harlem For rent Studio - Manhattan apartments. NYC rentals= $1500 Gramercy

You are simply ignoring reality in your hatred of the city.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:45 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,289,958 times
Quote:
One site gave me the following that arent in Harlem, Inwood, or Washington Heights

New York City Inwood For rent 1BR - Manhattan apartments. NYC rentals= $1396 UWS (there are a number on the UWS)

New York City Washington Heights For rent 1BR - Manhattan apartments. NYC rentals= $1400 UES (there are literally dozens on UES)

New York City Harlem For rent Studio - Manhattan apartments. NYC rentals= $1500 Gramercy
I hope the statement in bold was a typo, because the links advertise apts in those very same neighborhoods.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
I hope the statement in bold was a typo, because the links advertise apts in those very same neighborhoods.
Yeah, thanks for pointing that out, I didnt even notice that. Those links arent to the same places I was talking about even though I cut and pasted them out of the address bar. Thats very odd.

However, you can go to that site and find a bunch of apartments that are under $1500. There are dozens on the UES, a few on the UWS, and a handful in other places.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
You are simply not right man. Craigslist is full of them, and a new one is added every 30 seconds or so. You can even sort it by neighborhood.

Ignoring Craigslist

You are simply ignoring reality in your hatred of the city.
Those links say
Inwood,Washington Heights, and Harlem.
Those areas suck.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:11 PM

Anyways I looked on craigslist for UWS apts and the cheapest 1 bed was $1750.
Most were around $2600-$3000.
They are closet-sized apts.

UNBELIEVABLE DEAL! *Sep.Kitchen*French Doors*PRIME LOCATION*CALL TODAY (http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/nfb/1857420548.html - broken link)

The cheapest one I could find

Old 07-22-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Those links say
Inwood,Washington Heights, and Harlem.
Those areas suck.

Those links arent to the places I was talking about. I dont know why they are pointing to where they are, however, take 5 seconds, go to that site, search by $1500 and see what comes up.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Those links arent to the places I was talking about. I dont know why they are pointing to where they are, however, take 5 seconds, go to that site, search by $1500 and see what comes up.
That has to be bootleg or really old.
Those are prime areas of the city!

NO FEE- $2900- East 69th BEAUTIFUL ONE BEDROOM (http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/nfb/1857472574.html - broken link)

$2900 1 bed

Old 07-22-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Anyways I looked on craigslist for UWS apts and the cheapest 1 bed was $1750.
Most were around $2600-$3000.
They are closet-sized apts.

UNBELIEVABLE DEAL! *Sep.Kitchen*French Doors*PRIME LOCATION*CALL TODAY (http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/nfb/1857420548.html - broken link)

The cheapest one I could find
new york all no fee apts classifieds - craigslist

I see a few on the UES,

here is one in Chelsea even One of a kind apartment (http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/abo/1857207471.html - broken link)

or SOHO

2RM Studio, Fully Renovated,on the 2nd floor of a w.u (http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/abo/1857163707.html - broken link)

Lower East Side

Nice Bright 1Bdrm Aptm Large LvgRm Laundry in Building (http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/abo/1856974575.html - broken link)

Union Square

2bedrrom (http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/abo/1856913594.html - broken link)

Midtown West

Charming junior one bedroom apartment for rent lots of natural sunligh (http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/abo/1855725540.html - broken link)

These were just the first couple pages.

I will agree with you, most of what you find not in Washington Heights or Harlem could be viewed as "closet sized", but then again, you know what you are getting when you move to Manhattan, and if you arent willing to live in a 500sqft apartment, and you arent making huge dollars, yeah, you probably will find housing far too pricey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City