U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-21-2010, 11:17 PM
 
2 posts, read 2,643 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

**I am sorry for the type in the title. I was just typing too fast.

So, I'm sixteen, and before you say I'm too young to even think about all this, please save it.
I've been wanting to move to NY since I was 13.
I've just now been thinking about it seriously.
I'm planning to move with my boyfriend, cause he has family up there.
We're going to save up every penny between now, and 2012.
We want to move in like July of 2012.
I've been looking at apartments, and my roundabout price for renting a convertible one BDR is about 2100/month.
Some do have Washer/Dryer in the room. And I'll be eating in alot. Way more than eating out.
Now, I don't know how much the other utilities are, and that's where I need help.
Can you please help me determine the amount a month it would take to live in NY?
I want to live near the city, because I'm pursuing photography, and I'd like to photograph the city.
And just please don't judge me on all this, based on my age.
I just don't know where else to turn for the answers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-21-2010, 11:38 PM
 
Location: QUEENS
447 posts, read 1,505,940 times
Reputation: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberrbaby View Post
**I am sorry for the type in the title. I was just typing too fast.

So, I'm sixteen, and before you say I'm too young to even think about all this, please save it.
I've been wanting to move to NY since I was 13.
I've just now been thinking about it seriously.
I'm planning to move with my boyfriend, cause he has family up there.
We're going to save up every penny between now, and 2012.
We want to move in like July of 2012.
I've been looking at apartments, and my roundabout price for renting a convertible one BDR is about 2100/month.
Some do have Washer/Dryer in the room. And I'll be eating in alot. Way more than eating out.
Now, I don't know how much the other utilities are, and that's where I need help.
Can you please help me determine the amount a month it would take to live in NY?
I want to live near the city, because I'm pursuing photography, and I'd like to photograph the city.
And just please don't judge me on all this, based on my age.
I just don't know where else to turn for the answers.
Okay,
So how do you plan to make money to move into a $2100 apartment with photography? Jobs are scarce. By 2012 NYC will likely have slightly higher rents if the city continues to gentrify. You probably wont be dating your boyfriend in a few years either. So unless you guys are getting married or planning on it soon after graduating then you shouldn't rely on each other.
You wont be able to live in a nice area of Manhattan on that budget, you can opt for the ghetto areas if you are that desperate. You may be able to live in a decent neighborhood in Brooklyn for that budget. But again, how are you going to find a job? You are also gonna have to go to college to even have a fighting chance. That's at least 4 years of education for a degree. So, are you planning on getting a college education? What if you can't get into a decent university? These are some thing you have to factor in. New York cost of living is very high and except for the elite rich life basically sucks.Now listen, I am only a year older than you are and I'm getting out of this city as soon as I graduate, The cost of living here is so high you cant have a family or anything higher than a 1bed apt. I would suggest moving to Philly or Chicago which have much lower COLs and an overall better quality of life. I know NYC seems so glamorous on TV and so fun but its not unless you are elite and wealthy. There are so many people who thought NY was an easy place but ended up on minimum wage in a poor section of the city. New York is not glamorous or fabulous or anything of that sort without money. A LOT OF MONEY. The average apartment price in Manhattan is $1,700,000. No middle and lower class people live in good areas here, only the rich and the poor on govt. assistance. A very small middle class.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2010, 11:59 PM
 
Location: Neither here nor there
1,810 posts, read 6,846,445 times
Reputation: 553
You are 16 yrs old, sounds to me like your boyfriend is a lot older then you are if he has family living in the NYC area. A lot can change between now and when you become 18.

As far as utilities go,gas and electric will vary somewhat monthly. During the summer months your electric bill will be higher then your gas bill,vice versa for the winter months. Water bill shouldn't be that much,say $30-$40 a month. Cable tv,cell phone,internet service have to be considered(in the $160.00 a month range for all 3.)

You don't have to move to Manhattan right away you know,look at one of the boroughs,instead of paying $2,100 a month for a 1bdrm in the city,you can get a 1bdrm apt in Queens for $1,200 a month,that is a big spread. The Manhattan thing with people your age only works if (a) you have rich parents to help you out financially. (2)you have 2-3 room mates and split the rent/utilities amongst all of you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2010, 12:18 AM
 
2 posts, read 2,643 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
You are 16 yrs old, sounds to me like your boyfriend is a lot older then you are if he has family living in the NYC area. A lot can change between now and when you become 18.

As far as utilities go,gas and electric will vary somewhat monthly. During the summer months your electric bill will be higher then your gas bill,vice versa for the winter months. Water bill shouldn't be that much,say $30-$40 a month. Cable tv,cell phone,internet service have to be considered(in the $160.00 a month range for all 3.)

You don't have to move to Manhattan right away you know,look at one of the boroughs,instead of paying $2,100 a month for a 1bdrm in the city,you can get a 1bdrm apt in Queens for $1,200 a month,that is a big spread. The Manhattan thing with people your age only works if (a) you have rich parents to help you out financially. (2)you have 2-3 room mates and split the rent/utilities amongst all of you.
My boyfriend is 2 years older than me.
I don't deal with guys my age. Way too immature.
And yeah, I've been looking at places in/near Queens.
They are WAY cheaper.
And thanks for the advice with the utilities stuff.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2010, 12:44 AM
 
Location: Neither here nor there
1,810 posts, read 6,846,445 times
Reputation: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberrbaby View Post
My boyfriend is 2 years older than me.
I don't deal with guys my age. Way too immature.
And yeah, I've been looking at places in/near Queens.
They are WAY cheaper.
And thanks for the advice with the utilities stuff.
Glad to hear that,what we are trying to tell you on here is that you are getting a little too far ahead of yourself. Don't try to live your life in 1 day,all of us also thought that we could do anything when we were your age. Good luck no matter what though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2010, 10:29 AM
 
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
5,517 posts, read 9,798,679 times
Reputation: 2568
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycistheplace2 View Post
Okay,
I would suggest moving to Philly or Chicago which have much lower COLs and an overall better quality of life..

As long as you arent concerned about crime, Philly and Chicago have a better quality of life.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2010, 11:27 AM
 
Location: QUEENS
447 posts, read 1,505,940 times
Reputation: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberrbaby View Post
My boyfriend is 2 years older than me.
I don't deal with guys my age. Way too immature.
And yeah, I've been looking at places in/near Queens.
They are WAY cheaper.
And thanks for the advice with the utilities stuff.
Takes a long time to get to Manhattan from queens.
Unless its near the waterfront it could take as much as 1 hour 30 minutes by public transit depending on the area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2010, 11:53 AM
 
Location: QUEENS
447 posts, read 1,505,940 times
Reputation: 130
So where are you coming from? What kind of job are you planning on getting? Are you going to University?

Anyways here is the month to month cost of living here

-Rent for 1 bed in decent area close to Manhattan-$1300+(depending on area)
-Public transit-$100
-Food-$600+(rough guess)
-Bills(water,electric,gas)-$160+-(rough guess)
-Entertainment(movies,going out,etc.)-$300(more or less depending on how much you go out)
-Anything else you need-$125-(May be more or less)
Total-$1985+ a month(More or less,Probably more)

I personally think that you shouldn't move here. My family makes a decent Income and yet we still cant afford to live here. That $1985 a month is just an estimate. Some people spend $1985 on rent alone. You need to keep in mind that you will have a hard time finding a DECENT 1 bed in NY for under $1500.
If it comes under $1500 then
a)Bad/ghetto neighborhood
b)Rat infested/dirty apartment
c)Dirty apt and in bad area
d)Far away from Manhattan(spending over 1 hour on the subway)

I would advise moving somewhere else. You will get a closet-sized 650 sq ft for $1400-$1500.
Its not worth the stress.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2010, 12:27 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
5,517 posts, read 9,798,679 times
Reputation: 2568
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycistheplace2 View Post
So where are you coming from? What kind of job are you planning on getting? Are you going to University?

Anyways here is the month to month cost of living here

-Rent for 1 bed in decent area close to Manhattan-$1300+(depending on area)
-Public transit-$100
-Food-$600+(rough guess)
-Bills(water,electric,gas)-$160+-(rough guess)
-Entertainment(movies,going out,etc.)-$300(more or less depending on how much you go out)
-Anything else you need-$125-(May be more or less)
Total-$1985+ a month(More or less,Probably more)

I personally think that you shouldn't move here. My family makes a decent Income and yet we still cant afford to live here. That $1985 a month is just an estimate. Some people spend $1985 on rent alone. You need to keep in mind that you will have a hard time finding a DECENT 1 bed in NY for under $1500.
If it comes under $1500 then
a)Bad/ghetto neighborhood
b)Rat infested/dirty apartment
c)Dirty apt and in bad area
d)Far away from Manhattan(spending over 1 hour on the subway)

I would advise moving somewhere else. You will get a closet-sized 650 sq ft for $1400-$1500.
Its not worth the stress.


I dont know if this is the case. I have seen newer or renovated buildings all over Manhattan for less then 1500 (craigslist is full of them). Really, the only place Ive seen nothing advertised for under that price is Murray Hill or Chelsea.

The problem is that, unless you are talking about Harlem or Washington Heights, thats probably going to get you less then 700 sqft.

However, that isnt a big problem for a whole lot of people living in Manhattan. The people who have a problem with small cramped living spaces generally arent the people who should have ever come in the first place.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2010, 12:31 PM
 
Location: QUEENS
447 posts, read 1,505,940 times
Reputation: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I dont know if this is the case. I have seen newer or renovated buildings all over Manhattan for less then 1500 (craigslist is full of them). Really, the only place Ive seen nothing advertised for under that price is Murray Hill or Chelsea.

The problem is that, unless you are talking about Harlem or Washington Heights, thats probably going to get you less then 700 sqft.

However, that isnt a big problem for a whole lot of people living in Manhattan. The people who have a problem with small cramped living spaces generally arent the people who should have ever come in the first place.

Under $1500 will get you in Harlem or Washington heights.
This person may not know how to act in these neighborhoods and get into trouble. She may be from a non-urban area and criminals living there prey on white people. $1500 wont even get a good area in Brooklyn either unless you like living in closet-sized apartments.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:15 AM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top