Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 12:58 PM

224 posts, read 1,084,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I agree wholeheartedly that the community has a long way to go..no doubt about it. It is still a low-income, colored community with a host of social ills. However, the assumption that someone not from the city should not move there at all is silly. If you lived in the area, you would know lots of people from the other boroughs and outside the city are moving to the Southern Bronx..and have been here for awhile too..and they are surviving! Crazy huh?

The value proposition and proximity to the city is compelling, and people are making the move and life goes on.

The only people from outside of the city that are moving there are from 3rd world countries ie. Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Africa, Mexico, Albania. Puerto Ricans aren't really moving there anymore, most of the ones there have been in both poverty and the South Bronx for generations, and then you have African-Americans who have been there like the Puerto Ricans for generations also in poverty, the South Bronx still is overwhelimg Puerto Rican and to a lesser extent African-American. But like I said the only ones who move from outside of the city come from the 3rd world, its a sad but true fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 01:16 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,248,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha83 View Post
But would he live there? Probably not. Please don't liken working in the Bronx in a helping profession in a secured, guarded building to actually having to live here. That really understates the extent of the crime and blight of the South Bronx.
Well, since you asked me - maybe. We currently live in Washington Heights and the commute is a bit long. I've been to my husband's school a few times and never felt unsafe getting there. But as you said, I don't live there. However, I have lived in Harlem and I felt personally safer getting to my husband's school than getting to my old apartment.

Honestly, I wouldn't currently consider the South Bronx because the bit I've seen is visually unpleasant to me (aluminum siding, no trees) and due to the lack of services. However, I was just about to compose a forum request to recommend neighborhoods closer to my husband's school. I would consider checking out Mott Haven based on what I've read here. But then I would be accused of being a gentrifier.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:19 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
This is very strange indeed, as NYC's immigration has ALWAYS been from poverty stricken countries...those that populated NYC in the past, and subsequently spread to the rest of the country were the poor, not wealthy. And that population became middle class America.

Why would you think immigrants coming from poor countries is "sad?" That is precisely what NYC is about! The Bronx is the new location for immigrants entering NYC....that's normal! NYC is a gateway city to the world, and it used to be the poor Irish, then poor Italians, poor PRs, Poor Blacks, and now it's Central/Southern Americans and Africans...what's your point exactly? That this is somehow new or because they are brown instead of "white" that it is bad?

I see the influx of new blood/immigrants a good thing, not bad..and it is what makes NYC better, not worse. Learn NYC history...the Bronx and NYC in general would not exist without the constant waves of new blood from the poor/middle/wealthy.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
This is very strange indeed, as NYC's immigration has ALWAYS been from poverty stricken countries...those that populated NYC in the past, and subsequently spread to the rest of the country were the poor, not wealthy. And that population became middle class America.

Why would you think immigrants coming from poor countries is "sad?" That is precisely what NYC is about! The Bronx is the new location for immigrants entering NYC....that's normal! NYC is a gateway city to the world, and it used to be the poor Irish, then poor Italians, poor PRs, Poor Blacks, and now it's Central/Southern Americans and Africans...what's your point exactly? That this is somehow new or because they are brown instead of "white" that it is bad?

I see the influx of new blood/immigrants a good thing, not bad..and it is what makes NYC better, not worse. Learn NYC history...the Bronx and NYC in general would not exist without the constant waves of new blood from the poor/middle/wealthy.
Haha you don't seem to understand. What do you think I walked out of an egg? I'm a 5th generation Irish-American New Yorker. My family has lived in NYC ever since they came here. Who wants to live in the South Bronx? Nobody, I have a friend who is Dominican who hates the Bronx and he said would like to move to Pennsylvania from the South Bronx. I don't understand what point your trying to make here, but if your trying insinuate that I'm a racist, maybe you should think twice, thats quite a word to call somebody. Like I said you came on trying to make the South Bronx something its not, it used to be a great place to live in the 50s, then it turned into a big slum. Most people there are on government aide yes welfare which Irish or Italians were never on when they came here, they had to work for scraps "No Irish Need Apply". My family has been in NY, long before you came to the South Bronx so I would watch what you say, I know my NY history, my grandfather was born on St Anns Ave in the Bronx in 1934 and he was a Long Shoreman downtown at the piers for 50s years, my father is a NYC Ironworker, my uncle is in the NYPD. I honestly don't know what you think your 'teaching' me.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:45 PM

Well to answer your question : Who wants to live in the South Bronx? Me, and I can introduce you to a whole bunch of people paying top dollar to live here also. I don't doubt that you know lots of people that don't want to live in the South Bronx...and I can produce an equal number of people that do...that's whats called anecdotal.

Because I counter your statements that the South Bronx's kids are all in gangs and on drugs..I am somehow claiming it is something it's not? You are making outlandish claims and I will counter your nonsense...simple. As a longtime resident of the community, I make reasonable and fair assessments of the community, and you as an outsider make the usual "its all decayed, slumlords, all the kids are on drugs/gangs" ridiculous statements...but somehow I am the one making it seem like something it isn't? Really?

I am not teaching you anything as your opinion won't change, but I am educating those about the community who want a reasonable opinion from a local, something you are not and have shown you cannot provide.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Well to answer your question : Who wants to live in the South Bronx? Me, and I can introduce you to a whole bunch of people paying top dollar to live here also. I don't doubt that you know lots of people that don't want to live in the South Bronx...and I can produce an equal number of people that do...that's whats called anecdotal.

Because I counter your statements that the South Bronx's kids are all in gangs and on drugs..I am somehow claiming it is something it's not? You are making outlandish claims and I will counter your nonsense...simple. As a longtime resident of the community, I make reasonable and fair assessments of the community, and you as an outsider make the usual "its all decayed, slumlords, all the kids are on drugs/gangs" ridiculous statements...but somehow I am the one making it seem like something it isn't? Really?

I am not teaching you anything as your opinion won't change, but I am educating those about the community who want a reasonable opinion from a local, something you are not and have shown you cannot provide.
I think its very foolish that you would pay top dollar to live in the South Bronx while people who live in the same building are on Section 8.....Just my opinion, I live in Uptown Manhattan in a 5br with my Grandfather he only pays 1200 a month for 5 BEDROOMS. Inwood isn't the nicest neighborhood but its much better then the South Bronx, it may have the largest concetration of Dominicans in NYC, but it stills a noticable Irish presence and ya' know what? Irish and Dominicans get along pretty well here, both Catholics, enjoy a few drinks, and work pretty hard. So I would live in Inwood anyday over the South Bronx, but I wouldn't even recomend Inwood to an out-of-towner, Inwood gets rough at night as well, not just the Dominicans but the Irish have gangs too, Yes sir, theres also Irish people in poverty in NY too... =\

Old 07-27-2010, 02:56 PM

Not everyone has the luxury to live off their grandfather in a 5 bedroom. Some of us have to pay our own way in life. Funny how you poo poo all those section 8 folks, yet you are living off someone yourself. Not surprising.

Those of us paying our own bills have to live on a budget, and oftentimes the Southern Bronx is the most affordable place within close proximity to the city, hence why many people are choosing to live here. I suspect when you actually have to pay your own way and realize what it costs to live in this city, your attitude regarding the Southern Bronx, or similar communities, will change. Only time will tell...but that's how it's playing out right now in the area...it's all about people seeking affordability and proximity to the city..and the value proposition of the South Bronx is compelling.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Not everyone has the luxury to live off their grandfather in a 5 bedroom. Some of us have to pay our own way in life. Funny how you poo poo all those section 8 folks, yet you are living off someone yourself. Not surprising.

Those of us paying our own bills have to live on a budget, and oftentimes the Southern Bronx is the most affordable place within close proximity to the city, hence why many people are choosing to live here. I suspect when you actually have to pay your own way and realize what it costs to live in this city, your attitude regarding the Southern Bronx, or similar communities, will change. Only time will tell...but that's how it's playing out right now in the area...it's all about people seeking affordability and proximity to the city..and the value proposition of the South Bronx is compelling.
You think I live off of my grandfather? I pay him 500 a month for that apartment. You have some pair of balls telling me I live off my grandfathers, you know nothing about me or my life bro, I'm an Ironworker whos been laid off for 2 months and working security, I'm living with my grandfather temp. did you see my other posting about Pelham Pkwy, ya know whats funny, little yuppies like you who aren't even from New York who come here and think they are like real New Yorkers, I've known from your first post, you were an out of towner, you sound weak and not street smart. I actually grew up in the ghetto, I didn't move to one from the rich suburbs cuz I want to expeirience a new life. Talking to somebody the way you spoke to me just now, is how you can catch a beat-down in my neighborhood. Did they teach you that in college?

Old 07-27-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:

You think if I was rich I would have went to De Witt Clinton high school? Haha man... "living off my grandfather" you have really set me off now, I am far from the type to live off of somebody the reason I am with him is because he is ALONE, my grandmother passed away 3 years ago. Would you wanna be all alone in a 5 bedroom apartment at 76 years old? You dumb yuppie, He onlys live in a 5 bedroom apartment because he raised his family there since 1969, when the city was a sesspool. He had 4 kids, a wife, a dog and his sister living with him then. thats why his apartment was 4 bedrooms plus a converted dining room. you really are nieve and it was only 550 a month and he moved up from an even worse part of the neighborhood Post avenue where my dad who was born in 1961 grew up,

Old 07-27-2010, 03:39 PM

Whatever makes you feel better, but for someone who pays a whopping $500 a month in rent and works security, you sure talk poorly of those who are as unfortunate as yourself.

That being said, the fact remains that although the South Bronx is not perfect, it is improving. It has become one of the few areas that is both affordable as compared to the rest of the city, and is adjacent to the city with abundant transportation options. Which is why, despite all of the social ills, people are moving there in substantial numbers, and the billions of investment to reposition the area as a working/middle class community is moving forward. New quality working/middle class housing is being built all over, and change is in the air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City