Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2010, 11:24 PM

2 posts, read 5,083 times

Advertisements

Hi, I came on a spontaneous backpack trip
and I will be going to NY in a few days...

however what I have come acrossed was that
in boston (where i was traveling) I got a room that the neighbor was just unbearably scary and unsafe... (i read the reviews and such but i didnt know it would be that bad)

money was very tight and now i see what a mistake i made in boston

anyways I booked for a room in Murray Hill (near Flushing, Queens) [sorry still not sure about how to note the NY cities and areas)

I was wondering a solo male asian traveler would be safe in this area..
I would probably do my best to travel safely (like travel in peak time or like little after peak time and come back before dark)...

the inn i am staying is really really really close to the LIRR murray hill station and i googled it and i guess i can literally run and make in like a min.

how is this place, i saw all comments about this area, starting from its safe to people will aggrevate the teenage asian males

so please give me a honest opinion (boston incident was very shocking to me... you know still worried about my ny trip)

and how about the LIRR ride to manhattan (back and forth) would that casue any safety issues?

Please give the best opinion...

Thank you

From Worried...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 11:40 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
It's a decent area, largely working class so it's not going to be to the luxury end of the spectrum, but it is not unsafe. You can even take a bus to Flushing to get the subway if you did not want to pay the higher fares on the LIRR, or wanted to go to somewhere other than Penn Station.

City buses tend to traverse Northern Boulevard in that area, but you can get directions on HopStop.com - Subway Directions and Bus Directions for New York City (NYC) for specific transit options to get to the subway if you wanted to go that route to get somewhere else in Queens, or parts of Manhattan without having to go to Penn Station first, since the 7 train from Flushing heads to Times Square. LIRR is much faster, however to Penn Station.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-22-2010, 11:50 PM

2 posts, read 5,083 times
thanks for you sincere input
however it gets me where you put it is not unsafe
i guess you are trying to say its safe but not extremely safe
so pretty much use the common senses then i will be out of the trouble

and thanks for the input on the 7 train
i was mentioning LIRR because im taking bus from boston and it arrives at penn station
but i will keep the website in handy :P

thank you so much

Old 07-23-2010, 12:35 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
I think that you will be fine in the area, just that it's not a fancy neighborhood Sometimes people tend to think that an area may look unsafe when it is not. I tend to say "not unsafe," as opposed to "safe" for that very reason, as I have found that when I say "safe" people tend to let their guard down a bit more, which I would never encourage.

Flushing is a vibrant area with all sorts of people, but this is New York City, and you do have to keep your eyes open as to what's happening in any neighborhood. One thing to remember with New York is that it's a very complex, dense environment. Wherever you find yourself at night, walking, etc., stick to the busiest street possible to get to your destination, even if you walk a block or two out of your way. On the subways, wait in the off-hours waiting area, ride in the car with the conductor, and other general safety tips, such as not flashing expensive electronics or money in public, are always good to remember.

Enjoy your visit!

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-23-2010, 10:34 AM

527 posts, read 1,019,809 times
Flushing as a whole is Very safe you will not have Any worries.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:00 PM

11 posts, read 35,742 times
i live just a few blocks from murray hill. it is a safe area. good shops all around especially if you are asian. the trip to manhattan, whichever way you do deciede to take wheather its the city train or LIRR. its safe. i would not worry at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City