Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 16,146 times

Advertisements

or are we just lumped in with the Latinos?! If I even go there I don't want to go into the wrong areas and, say, get attacked by Blacks because even though we are both Native American, my Cree boyfriend "looks White" and people think it's "interracial" and all that garbage

Moderator cut: rude
However every borough has its own neighborhoods for different races. Although those neighborhoods are hanging on by a thread in Brooklyn where gentrification and intergration is booming.

Last edited by Keeper; 09-14-2007 at 08:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 07:13 PM

225 posts, read 1,087,754 times
http://www.census.gov/population/cen...ensr01-107.pdf

p. 51 and zoom in. As you can see, hardly any Native Americans anywhere in the area. You will certainly be assumed to be Latino, or white, or Asian, or whatever. I very much doubt you will be hassled for dating a "white" guy. Lots of Latinos date whites and don't catch grief for it.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:00 PM

17 posts, read 67,720 times
I am a Ramapough Indian. No, we don't live on the Ramapo Reservation, it's a park (although we did upon a time, before it was a park). We are not inbreeders. We marry outside our clan. The crap spoken here about us is typical of the uneducated, then you wonder why we are not hospitable. We are not descendents of slaves, prostitutes, or Hessian soldiers. For a real education, look us up in wikipedia or try our website. .. BTW, there are ~50 of us living on Staten Island too. Not everyone went west.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:51 PM

2 posts, read 17,512 times
hello all
i am a ramapo mtn indian.all this bs about inbreeding and living in huts is as funny as hell!only cowards talk big behind screens!there are some of us that are mixed as in other races.but we are lenape indians

the real problem why people call us names and try to dis credit us is because we are not cowards and take no b.s. from no one!!! we will fight and die for what we believe in, as our anscestors before us did!!!

Old 07-03-2008, 12:23 AM

1 posts, read 15,965 times
Default Interesting,

I came across this site and forum by accident so I'm leaving a few comments.

- Have you ever seen the famous picture of the Iron workers on the skyscapper in NYC? It's hard to miss because it's still sold as a print on just about every street corner in NYC. My friend's Grandfather, a native American man was one of the men depicted in that so very famous picture.
-Some years back the NYC Smithsonian Indian Museum had a great exhibit dedicated to the Indian people that assisted in building some of the most famous landmarks & skyscrappers in NYC -
My point being~ Many of the Iron workers and their families came from Reservations from all over the place, settled in NYC and the surrounding areas to live and work. Some of those families went home while others remained. Many NA families still live in various neighborhoods throughout NYC & the 5b.

Some years back after a Native American Film Screening. I was invited to an after party at a small club in Brooklyn. The party was a memorable event filled with both Native and non native people & Native American Actors. ~ The musicians were amazing!! The After Party was organized by a Native American person from the NYCity Area. You should have been in the neighborhood that night because it was NA fabulous !!

- I will never forget~ A close friend of mine an Anishinabe guy and countless other Native American men and woman from all over Canada & the US organized and assisted in Wtrade rescue & recovery efforts.

Though NYC is very diverse but it is not without it's Native American People~ The American Indian Community House has a website, and offers many services NOT just the ones someone had mentioned in their post. The American Indian Community House or aich, serves the Metro area, including parts of Upstate NY and also parts of NJ. ~ The Flying Eagle Woman Fund also has a website, you might want to check it out.

~ I personally know many Ramapough Mountain Indian people. In one post someone suggested that the Ramapough Nation "clings" to some NA ancestory?
- FYI ~ You are incorrect! The Ramapough Nation are a State recognized Tribe, and have fought long and hard for that recognition. I have nothing but love, respect and admiration for the Ramapough people.
~ As for the "inbreed remark?" I won't answer for the Ramapough or any other Nation.
My Nations Chief also my Grandfather had five sons with five different woman. My parents are both from the same Reserve. You do the Math and call it what you will. I'm related to almost everyone on my Reserve.

meegwech!
NJ~NYC

-

Old 07-04-2008, 12:07 PM

468 posts, read 2,350,624 times
I don't think there are any Native American neighborhoods in any city in the entire Northeast United States.

Minneapolis? Winnipeg? Maybe those are the closest? I never met a Native American person til I traveled out West.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:08 PM

536 posts, read 2,341,876 times
I've known people in NYC with one parent or grandparent that was native american, but never fully. Most people might assume you're hispanic because we're home to many central americans of native american and mestizo descent.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:24 PM

2 posts, read 17,323 times
im monika from milano italy moving 2 ny with my son lakota i need 2 know where i can found native cultural center and native people
idonailsmony@yahoo.it

Old 07-08-2008, 06:44 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,961,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysocks View Post
I've known people in NYC with one parent or grandparent that was native american, but never fully. Most people might assume you're hispanic because we're home to many central americans of native american and mestizo descent.
Yea, my grandpa was Native American (I can't recall the specifics at the time), and one of my friend's is part Native American, but I've never been able to find anyone else. It's quite the rarity.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:23 PM

1 posts, read 16,022 times
Default There are native americans in new york city

There are Native Americans in New York City. Most of them have their own little corner in the Bronx. They have their own bars and their own clubs, places to meet. Whoever said there aren't any are ignorant or think they are latinos (which shows how ignorant New Yorkers are). After all when asked in the PS schools by teachers where milk and eggs come from children replied "form the grocery store". They don't know they come from cows and chickens. What do you expect?
They also worked on the sky scrapers (mainly the Woolworth and Empire State Building. These were mostly Iriquois and Mohawks.
Check your facts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City