Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2017, 10:30 AM

33,792 posts, read 46,999,857 times

Advertisements

EastBoundandDownChick, where are you?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 12:56 PM

25,364 posts, read 36,926,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
You don't have your own bedroom?

Nope, two of us in a 1 bedroom apartment.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:58 PM

9,241 posts, read 24,010,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
EastBoundandDownChick, where are you?
She's here with us . She created a thread last week about how commercial rents are ruining the restaurant scene and how chefs are moving to the Midwest.

Grosvenor is still with us too in case you haven't figured it out...also Sobroguy and a few others. EastBoundandDownChick never got banned though like the rest of them.

Last edited by bluedog2; 04-25-2017 at 01:11 PM..

Old 04-25-2017, 07:51 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,195,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
She's here with us . She created a thread last week about how commercial rents are ruining the restaurant scene and how chefs are moving to the Midwest.

Grosvenor is still with us too in case you haven't figured it out...also Sobroguy and a few others. EastBoundandDownChick never got banned though like the rest of them.
What name does Sobroguy post under?

Old 04-25-2017, 08:08 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,886,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
What name does Sobroguy post under?
I suspect BoogieDownDweller is him, but I could be wrong.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:25 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,718,504 times
I lived in Elmhurst Queens for a year and I had a love/hate relationship with the city on the whole. As a matter of fact, it's a place that I have more extreme views on than anyplace I've ever lived, and I've moved around quite a bit.

On the positive side, there was always something to do at all hours, good public transit, amazing diversity of people, generally approachable people and a feeling like everything happens right near me.

On the negative side, the architecture outside of Manhattan was pretty depressing, people seem miserable and like the OP said, the pay simply didn't support the high cost of living.

I know it might seem like I'm contracting myself by saying people were "generally approachable" but also "miserable", but I'm not. I rarely dealt with rude people (except MTA bus drivers), but nobody really seemed happy. I'm from Boston, and we have a reputation for being grumpy, but I've never seen sadness like I have in the faces of New Yorkers who thought they would make it big, but have to settle for the same crappy jobs the rest of us have.

That being said, if the right opportunity arose, I would consider moving back. I don't mind living in a small apartment, but I do mind getting paid next to nothing while our CEO can touch heaven in his Manhattan penthouse.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:39 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,971,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
I lived in Elmhurst Queens for a year and I had a love/hate relationship with the city on the whole. As a matter of fact, it's a place that I have more extreme views on than anyplace I've ever lived, and I've moved around quite a bit.

On the positive side, there was always something to do at all hours, good public transit, amazing diversity of people, generally approachable people and a feeling like everything happens right near me.

On the negative side, the architecture outside of Manhattan was pretty depressing, people seem miserable and like the OP said, the pay simply didn't support the high cost of living.

I know it might seem like I'm contracting myself by saying people were "generally approachable" but also "miserable", but I'm not. I rarely dealt with rude people (except MTA bus drivers), but nobody really seemed happy. I'm from Boston, and we have a reputation for being grumpy, but I've never seen sadness like I have in the faces of New Yorkers who thought they would make it big, but have to settle for the same crappy jobs the rest of us have.

That being said, if the right opportunity arose, I would consider moving back. I don't mind living in a small apartment, but I do mind getting paid next to nothing while our CEO can touch heaven in his Manhattan penthouse.
To be honest with you. I find the whole entire Northeast to be extremely miserable. Too expensive, Ivy league elitist and wannabe elitist, liberal, to PC, gentrification on steroids, broken down subway systems, cold winters, nasty summers, shallow fat women with kids, shallow educated women with 6 figure debt and the list goes on. The only bright spot seems to be Philadelphia for now. Not for nothing, I would not mind Kim, Putin and Ping wiping the Northeast off the map. I have been to every city in the Northeast. The best seems to be Philadelphia where I bought a can of coke or 75 cents across the street from Temple University. Boston comes in 2nd place, but further near Cambridge with its liberal elitist undertones. 3rd place tie is NYC and DC. Wall Street Crowd and K street crowd are one of the same. A buddy of mines wants me to move to DC. I'm like why would I want to move to another expensive city and deal with same complaints as NYC? I'm trying to decide on Arizona or Texas. But now locals in those states are complaining about folks moving there.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:15 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,564,537 times
Default Excellent post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemNewbie View Post
I came here a few months back from the Midwest. I think a lot of you may know my story. 29, single, female, and living up in West Harlem. I really am finding myself disappointed by this place, and don't understand the allure of it anymore. It's the absolute filthiest place I have ever been. I have smelled things here so God-awful I cannot even believe it. The people are rude, that goes without saying. But so remarkably so it is beyond my comprehension. Back home, a person would get the **** kicked out of the in a back alleyway for talking and acting the way a lot of people here do.

I thought there would be better job opportunities here. But from what I have experienced, it is just the same **** as back home. Employers trying to get you to work for slave wages, undercutting everyone to the bone. That may have almost worked in Michigan, much less expensive. It sure as hell doesn't work here. I have to wait tables to survive, and have never taken such verbal abuse in all of my fourteen years that I have been doing that as I have here. People ought to be ashamed of themselves.

And I just want to punch the lights out of most of the snobby youth I see in Manhattan. So out of touch, it is unbelievable. I can understand why people want to execute those on Wall Street now. I will be the first in line with them if there is to ever be a Revolution in this country. The discrepancy between haves and have-nots here is repulsive. Average banker making $350K, average everyone-else maybe 40K if lucky. When the rent is astronomical, and taxes are astronomical. Doesn't really lure any right-minded middle class person, now does it? Especially when you are going to be taxed to death just to pay all of those lovely 3rd grade educated babymamas. While the rich get off cheap and you live to serve them.
Excellent post! Too many low class people of all racial and cultural backgrounds. I'm currently on hiatus working out of state. I may return to live in NYC because it's home for me but not unless I obtain a position that pays me well enough to live there without "struggling". What person in their right mind wants to live like that past the age of youth?

Old 04-25-2017, 11:39 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,416,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post

What is your problem with the architecture outside of Manhattan? Some neighborhoods have really nice architecture, and even aside from that, I don't feel that the the aesthetics of the architecture are what makes the neighborhood.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:17 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,868,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Excellent post! Too many low class people of all racial and cultural backgrounds. I'm currently on hiatus working out of state. I may return to live in NYC because it's home for me but not unless I obtain a position that pays me well enough to live there without "struggling". What person in their right mind wants to live like that past the age of youth?
Middle class people as such live in Staten Island, Eastern Queens, some parts of Central Queens parts of Brooklyn, and places like Riverdale, Woodlawn, Country Club, etc.

The rest of the city, places like LIC, Williamsburg, Chelsea, LES, UWS, UES, are either rich or for poor people. Too many transient Americans and immigrants willing to work for low wages and live in overcrowded conditions, and we all know this isn't going to change anytime soon.

With that said, there's also a lot of opportunity in NYC even though it's hard to achieve. Supposedly cheap parts of the country have a lot less opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City