Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2017, 05:15 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
I usually assume people who live in Jersey do it for the children and not for themselves.
Partly. But it still remains an insanely expensive place to live and it gets tiring living in a shoebox
I just find it amusing that people strut in with ordinary jobs and think they can move there and it will all be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 05:34 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I was offered a 100K+ job in Detroit. It's not exactly new news for me. The thing is- it's not in my field of work. I work as a stylist. This would be a BIG jump, to mortgage banking. Anyone can go work there- it's called Quicken Loans, you'd be working as a banker for a billionaire that runs that town by the name of Dan Gilbert. He basically owns Detroit and the doors are open. The problem is this-

You don't have a life. 7 a.m. to 12 p.m. is REAL. And if that guy from Ohio you needed to close with calls your private line at 3 a.m.? You have to take it... or deal with your supervisor the next morning. I have friends from home there that were making nothing now making 150K or more. The one girl I know, she barely graduated high school so don't think this is fancy status work. 150K in Detroit is 300K in NY IMO. If you know how to sell great. If not, you're out on your ass in three seconds. But anyone can join.

I could take it... but would I be happy? I wouldn't be doing what I love. I work long days as it is but I sleep, nor do I get micromanaged by douchebags. And this is an even more interesting twist- my father is a counselor that had that account. The workers all seemed to have coke and other drug problems, I know it well on a confidential level the media does not hear about. Quicken dropped my father's company because they 'couldn't fix people'.

Should I sign up for that so I can leave and go be with my family? Think about it before you call me stupid. I make enough to afford the good side of Manhattan right now. It would take at least 2 years in Detroit before that happened for me, and in my field? Forget about city life. Think again before you start spouting off nonsense. I want to be close to my family, but not if I have to be poor again. Because I'd be a burden and I'd be stuck around suburban white trash. The white population only gets their hair done by whites, just like any ethnic group and it's just not down in the center in numbers to where I could transfer my income realistically. That's the realest sh*t you're ever gonna hear on CD. I don't do the 'burbs' nor do I do 'scraping by'. Just way too old for that crap.
You're asking us this???? Why???????

This, ladies and gentlemen, is what makes this city, what it is....

This city has the ability to make people create a thread calling the city a toilet bowl, that goes on for 40 pages, to only ask, "Should I stay or go?"

PS: Tell them to make it 200K, and go home....

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-10-2017, 09:01 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthe7 View Post
I think NYC is the only place where people come from elsewhere with a retail, food service, or entry level job and expect to be able to afford the hottest neighborhoods around. You can't just look at Manhattan, hip Brooklyn, and LIC and decide NYC is unaffordable. There are plenty of affordable middle class areas. They just aren't "cool". I lived in Kew Gardens Hills when I moved here in my 20s. Boring as ****, and completely shut down on Friday nights, but its safe and reasonably close to the city. And rooms are still affordable there for a new transplant. Why anyone would want to be broke as **** while paying Manhattan or gentrification rents is beyond me. If you can't afford to enjoy the local cafes, bars, and clubs, then what's the point of living next to them? Live somewhere cheaper so you can take transit to them and actually enjoy them. Nobody moves to LA and demands cheap housing in Santa Monica. That phenomenon seems unique to NYC.
yep, tons of affordable clean areas in Queens, but it's not "cool enough" for their liking

Old 05-10-2017, 09:11 AM

15,843 posts, read 14,476,031 times
I'll let you in on a little secret. There are a lot of people who like the suburban lifestyle. They want a detached house with some space and a yard. They don't want to live in a human ant colony. But NYC is the center of the universe for a lot of industries, so they need to be nearby. So Jersey (and Westchester, LI, etc.) work well for these people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
I usually assume people who live in Jersey do it for the children and not for themselves.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:31 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,983 times
Most people who move here from somewhere else get chewed up and spit out fast. unless you are an investment banker or that sort making six figures, and can escape to somewhere else, this place is the pits.

most newbies believe all that crap they see on TV about this being the greatest city etc. like my fiancee's nephew, had to move here from Richmond, VA because he thought NY was the coolest. After working two jobs and couch surfing for a year, and then renting a crap basement apartment that flooded, he is back in Virginia.

or a laywer (!) I worked with in my last office from Texas. her husband, also a lawyer, was from Boston...moved here thinking they would live a sex and the city lifestyle. Both got canned from their jobs within two years AFTER having a kid and buying a million dollar condo in Harlem, of all places. Now they both left NYC and I hope much happier.

it takes a certain type to make it and like it here. Just look around and see the misery on people's faces. but to those who love it, that's great.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:47 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
Okay everybody quit whining. It's a toilet for everybody including the rich, but at least it's an entertaining toilet.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:51 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,671 times
some of us only moved here cuz we never learned how to drive! and then it's like oooooooooof how do you get your license living here!?!

Old 05-10-2017, 08:23 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
some of us only moved here cuz we never learned how to drive! and then it's like oooooooooof how do you get your license living here!?!
I have a car here. The advice about moving without a car is stupid. Granted, I pay over $250 a month to garage it, after multiple bad street parking experiences, I still pay it because it's worth it to be able to escape. I probably drive 5,000 miles a year if that, so what I lose in garage fees I make up for in not paying much in maintenance. Not having a car is like chaining yourself to hell. Zipcar is no substitute for the freedom of your own air conditioned ride you own, especially when you ride it out of the city in 100 degree heat in July/August. It's stupid advice for people who think public transit is the best thing ever and needs no backup. If there's another terrorist attack are you going to rely on it and/or your bike? Oh yeah, and it's brand new and luxury everything plus the ass warming leather seats, navigation, moonroof, Ecoboost, and security cameras built in. Meaning, it has to go in a garage so the drug dealers don't rip it apart again and I don't have to put those lame ass guards on the sides. I enjoy threatening to run over panhandlers as I make my way up the coast in it, best money I ever spent.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 05-10-2017 at 08:35 PM..

Old 05-10-2017, 10:41 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I'll let you in on a little secret. There are a lot of people who like the suburban lifestyle. They want a detached house with some space and a yard. They don't want to live in a human ant colony. But NYC is the center of the universe for a lot of industries, so they need to be nearby. So Jersey (and Westchester, LI, etc.) work well for these people.
Commute can be soul crushing unless you live in a very expensive suburb that has a direct express line to the city. Many of the high paying jobs require long working hours and never seeing your kids during the week is very antiquated. Much of the younger generation is soft compared to old timers who are willing to go through that grind.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:50 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Most people who move here from somewhere else get chewed up and spit out fast. unless you are an investment banker or that sort making six figures, and can escape to somewhere else, this place is the pits.

most newbies believe all that crap they see on TV about this being the greatest city etc. like my fiancee's nephew, had to move here from Richmond, VA because he thought NY was the coolest. After working two jobs and couch surfing for a year, and then renting a crap basement apartment that flooded, he is back in Virginia.

or a laywer (!) I worked with in my last office from Texas. her husband, also a lawyer, was from Boston...moved here thinking they would live a sex and the city lifestyle. Both got canned from their jobs within two years AFTER having a kid and buying a million dollar condo in Harlem, of all places. Now they both left NYC and I hope much happier.

it takes a certain type to make it and like it here. Just look around and see the misery on people's faces. but to those who love it, that's great.
I paid $700 a month for a room as a grad student, and no I didn't suffer. Out in Central Queens one can find rooms as low as $500 a month.

Live where you can realistically afford to live and you're perfectly fine living in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City