Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 04:08 PM

55 posts, read 139,219 times

Advertisements

NY is a tourist city and a proverty program town.
I like NY for all the free things to do. What I do not like is working class people can not apply for any of the various programs (minus transit check). If you pay 1000.00 a month(round about) for a rental in 7 yrs, you would have put up 70,000 and you will not own the door knob.
I say while you are here make like a tourist, ixquick search free things to do in NY, if you can stand the crowds and standing close to another while sweating in the subway. You could walk around and be like oh my god how do they put up with this, I am glad, I do not live here (soon come).

Au revoir
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 04:16 PM

824 posts, read 2,791,711 times
Go here Moderator cut: No links to competing sites, per Terms of Service and plug in a city you think would be a great place to live, and you will see from the comments that virtually everywhere has its downsides.

I was born and raised in Manhattan, but I am moving from Manhattan to Brooklyn next month for cheaper rent...I'll give it a year. I may eventually move out of the city. We'll see.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 07-26-2010 at 09:20 PM.. Reason: Competing site

Old 07-26-2010, 04:36 PM

508 posts, read 2,119,746 times
HarlemNewbie, I am sorry that you had to learn the hard way how rough this city can be on its residents. I am a native NY'er and I feel the same way. There is supposedly so much money being made here, but I hardly see it.

To the other posters that are not sympathetic to HarlemNewbie---She has the right to feel the way she does based on her experiences. I don't think living in Harlem has done this to her. The reality is that there are nice sections of Harlem but the prices in those sections are as expensive as areas such as the UWS/UES and some downtown areas. Harlem itself is not cheap.

NYC sells the dream and then when the reality hits its newcomers and transplants, it blames them for not being tough enough to handle it. Not the case. It's becoming very difficult to live here and the middle class is almost non-existent. Moving to outerborough neighborhoods is not always the solution. Some of the best nabes in those boroughs are just as pricey and the other nabes are just too far away. Why should hard working people have to suffer in this town? It's not right.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:02 PM

541 posts, read 1,902,776 times
I don't think this whole "it's hard to live here" thing is a new development. For as long as I remember there has been that old adage that if you can make it here you can make it anywhere. Thus I don't think New York has ever been accused of being a haven for the meek. For those to come in and assume that somehow life will be an episode of Friends is just foolish.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:22 PM

343 posts, read 1,025,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalove View Post
HarlemNewbie, I am sorry that you had to learn the hard way how rough this city can be on its residents. I am a native NY'er and I feel the same way. There is supposedly so much money being made here, but I hardly see it.

To the other posters that are not sympathetic to HarlemNewbie---She has the right to feel the way she does based on her experiences. I don't think living in Harlem has done this to her. The reality is that there are nice sections of Harlem but the prices in those sections are as expensive as areas such as the UWS/UES and some downtown areas. Harlem itself is not cheap.

NYC sells the dream and then when the reality hits its newcomers and transplants, it blames them for not being tough enough to handle it. Not the case. It's becoming very difficult to live here and the middle class is almost non-existent. Moving to outerborough neighborhoods is not always the solution. Some of the best nabes in those boroughs are just as pricey and the other nabes are just too far away. Why should hard working people have to suffer in this town? It's not right.
Don't you know by now, especially in THIS town, it's never how hard you work, It's who you know. They teach this in higher education, especially in Business School.

Instead of knocking the rich, take a page from the rich.

Network, hustle, find a niche, if you dont like corporate america or slave labor jobs, make your own living.. Millions of people are not reliant on a corporate check.

I disagree about living on 1,000 rent and you to be in a bad neighborhood or one pre-dom a hood of color. It's a buncha BS. Trade off the BS for an extra 15 minutes on your commute

$850-1200 bucks gets you a studio in Morris Park, Or on Pelham Parkway.. or a Huge 2 bedroom with a Terrace in Rochdale. *OR GASP!!!!*... A TOWNHOUSE IN FRESHMEADOWS www.freshmeadowsapartments.com Or a sunny 1br, in Sunnyside or Woodside. I mean come on people. Manhattan is not EVERYTHING, Brooklyn is not EVERYTHING. Explore this city. Millions live within their means, enjoy comfortable lives and they stay here.

Get out of Harlem to start! There are tons of higher paying jobs (even in service) in Connecticut, and Long Island. Plenty of people in this city are familiar with the reverse commute to stamford (40 mins on MNRR) or the Long Island Office Parks, in Hicksville, and Old Westbury.. Look there too... Then you can live in queens... Have you also checked out the Lotteries? Currenltly on www.nyc.gov/hpd there are apartments for lottery on 42nd Street in MIDTOWN. You cant make more than 38K, im sure that fits in your range and, the rent is only $650. You need to explore explore explore... I want you and everyone who fits the criteria to apply for them RIGHT NOW, so you all can stop bitching!

Then, instead of the ghetto baby mamas ur use to, now you can see annoying suburban white women with leashes on their annoying kids necks....

Same Moderator cut: Language different incomes

Last edited by bmwguydc; 07-27-2010 at 01:46 AM.. Reason: Language: Words are filtered for a reason.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:31 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
My only Q to the OP is: Why in the world would you move to Harlem?? That would give ANYONE a bad taste for Manhattan! Why didn't you get place in a nice neighborhood in Queens or Brooklyn? The rent would be about the same as would the commute.

Second, I agree with the differences in salaries and how insane it is. What's even more insane is that most of those "Wall Street" people live on Long Island ---- that's double whammy for me. The jackhole LI attitude on top of Wall Street arrogance. If I was on wait staff and one of them got smart with me, I think he's be wearing his meal. "Oops, I must have tripped over the laces of my $9.99 Keds. You know how clumsy we poor folk are."

Look into moving into a different area. That may give you a better perspective.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:37 PM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoros View Post
Don't you know by now, especially in THIS town, it's never how hard you work, It's who you know. They teach this in higher education, especially in Business School.

$850-1200 bucks gets you a studio in Morris Park, Or on Pelham Parkway.. or a Huge 2 bedroom with a Terrace in Rochdale. *OR GASP!!!!*... A TOWNHOUSE IN FRESHMEADOWS Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more Or a sunny 1br, in Sunnyside or Woodside. I mean come on people. Manhattan is not EVERYTHING, Brooklyn is not EVERYTHING. Explore this city. Millions live within their means, enjoy comfortable lives and they stay here.

Get out of Harlem to start! There are tons of higher paying jobs (even in service) in Connecticut, and Long Island. Plenty of people in this city are familiar with the reverse commute to stamford (40 mins on MNRR) or the Long Island Office Parks, in Hicksville, and Old Westbury.. Look there too... Then you can live in queens... Have you also checked out the Lotteries? Currenltly on Housing Preservation and Development there are apartments for lottery on 42nd Street in MIDTOWN. You cant make more than 38K, im sure that fits in your range and, the rent is only $650. You need to explore explore explore... I want you and everyone who fits the criteria to apply for them RIGHT NOW, so you all can stop bitching!
While you give a wealth of information to the OP- giving hints that people should know other people to get hooked up with jobs, or get great apartments through lotteries means that if you're not lucky around here, the quality of life will suffer.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:52 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,092,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MStant1 View Post
I don't think this whole "it's hard to live here" thing is a new development. For as long as I remember there has been that old adage that if you can make it here you can make it anywhere. Thus I don't think New York has ever been accused of being a haven for the meek. For those to come in and assume that somehow life will be an episode of Friends is just foolish.
Quoted for emphasis because thats what it all boils down to. That and the need to say you live in manhattan by any means necessary, even if it means living in a run down tenement in harlem *not to say you do live in a run down tenement..but still u get the point*

Its common for transplants to do that, not realizing that the bulk of the city live in the other four for a reason and that doesnt always include how much money they're making

Old 07-26-2010, 10:05 PM

877 posts, read 2,768,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoros View Post
Then, instead of the ghetto baby mamas ur use to, now you can see annoying suburban white women with leashes on their annoying kids necks....

Same sh*t different incomes
I just had to laugh at this because it is so true from my experiences.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:48 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
I think what transplants need to do is to explore all of nyc. When docking off your gate from laguardia or jfk don't high tail it to manhattan. There is more then 300sqm of this city to explore espicially with cheaper prices and good amenties like parts of queens and the bronx. I do agree with the op. I too myself plan on leaving this city where I was born. One of my main goals in life is to leave nyc but it takes time and perfect execution but also expectations to leave. Me leaving nyc for good is like an xbox360 achievement.

Achievement unlocked: leave nyc behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City