Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 03:19 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times

Advertisements

I love the way 90% of people on this thread have posted 40 or less times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 08:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,385 times
forgive my ignorance, im going to housing in the morning, as my work advantage voucher has been terminated, anybody have any info as to what to expect to hear?, thank u ahead of time

Old 03-28-2011, 05:05 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay715 View Post
forgive my ignorance, im going to housing in the morning, as my work advantage voucher has been terminated, anybody have any info as to what to expect to hear?, thank u ahead of time
The work advantage program has been terminated effective April 1.All vouchers have been cancelled and landlord's will not be paid.You are out of luck and the landlord's who participated in the program are screwed because they have to now evict all the tenants who can't pay their rent.
BoogieDowner: Work Advantage Rent Subsidy Program Officially Terminated: 17,000 Apartment Units to be Affected

Some smaller landlords may wind upon the street themselves because they will literally lose their buildings(homes) to foreclosure because of this
http://boogiedowner.blogspot.com/201...-to-loose.html

Last edited by bluedog2; 03-28-2011 at 05:17 AM..

Old 03-28-2011, 05:51 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,232 times
Post old link provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
The work advantage program has been terminated effective April 1.
i've never even heard of this program til this hour. from a dailynews link it says it was basically a 1-year program with a 1-year extension? City put homeless into foreclosed homes and illegally converted apartments - January 31, 2010

hopefully the participants were informed of that. edit: now in reading this http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2007...ent_aid-3.html i can't see how anyone in the program wouldn't know it would end:

Quote:
But the plan is not long on patience: The longest any recipient can get city housing aid is two years. The city's previous program, Housing Stability Plus, allowed its 10,000 participants to get assistance for five years.

"This new program threatens to create a revolving door back into shelter," said Patrick Markee, senior policy analyst with the Coalition for the Homeless.

Markee and other advocates say they fear that two years is not enough to bring families to full self-sufficiency. But they applauded some of the new plan's income incentives.

Work Advantage will offer recipients a one-year rental subsidy with a possible second year extension.

Participants must work and can put up to 20% of their income into a savings account. After a maximum of two years, the city will double the savings and stop paying rent.
the whole thing seems sorta hare-brained to me

Last edited by grimace8; 03-28-2011 at 06:09 AM..

Old 03-28-2011, 06:09 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
^^^^^
The dysfunctionalism in all of these programs is beyond belief.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:35 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
Everyone is made very clear that it is a temporary program, the tenants and the landlords, and the landlords get a bonus just for participating. I personally don't accept government subsidized tenants of any kind, this being one of the many reasons. And with the city/state with a huge deficit and massive cuts projected, how exactly did nobody see this coming?

Isn't there any responsibility for self anymore or is the government required to wipe everyone's a**? This is a temporary program to help people get back on their feet, which is what most of these programs should be. If you are unable to "make it" you either return to the shelter or move somewhere else (another state) where you may have better luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City