Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2010, 04:58 PM

3 posts, read 9,260 times

Advertisements

A family of four would like to move out of Fl. We are looking for good schools (the kids are 11 and 8), good hospitals (I'm an RN), the husband can work for himself doing house remodellings. We will be renting first to adjust to the area and to know it better. We would like to be close to NYC, with great transportation and more a city-like feeling. I wonder if a place like that exists. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 06:54 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
What's your budget?

Old 07-27-2010, 07:39 PM

3 posts, read 9,260 times
Max. @2200/month for rent, the less the better

Old 07-29-2010, 12:35 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
Two areas that come to mind are Riverdale in The Bronx, not far from Montefiore Hospital or any of the Lower Westchester hospitals, and Eastern Queens, District 26 (schools): part of Bayside, Douglaston, Little Neck, Floral Park. You could also look in Lower to Mid-Westchester, especially since you would avoid city resident income tax, and renting would not hit you with the huge property tax bills. Places like Pelham, Harrison, Mamaroneck, Valhalla, and Thornwood come to mind, as they are not too far from the city, but they are suburban towns/villages. Even Riverdale and Eastern Queens are not that urban, though they are part of the city. They are more quasi-urban, with apartment buildings and cores of commercial districts, and transportation options, but with many single-family homes in the area.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-29-2010, 03:09 AM

447 posts, read 1,564,424 times
Do you want a suburb? Or a city neighborhood?

Old 07-29-2010, 12:41 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,085 times
If you were in Riverdale, you could also work at Columbia-Presbyterian. I have no idea if they are hiring or what working conditions are like - but I had emergency surgery there and the nurses were fantastic. An apartment in Hudson Heights (realtor speak for a section of Washington Heights) may also work for you. P.S. 187 is supposedly good and the parents are very involved. I don't have kids, therefore I don't have direct knowledge, but housing costs more here due to the school and I have purchased many a baked good from the PTA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City