Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 03:31 AM

68 posts, read 117,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pivot Point View Post
By the early 90s, all the sketchy and poorly maintained areas of Park Slope had been revamped and almost completely gentrified.
I know this is a very old thread, but I had to say something when I saw this-

The above statement is simply not true. In the very early nineties, much of Park Slope remained very UN-gentrified. I can vividely remember the crackheads and junkies lining the streets, particularly on ninth street from sixth avenue down towards fourth.

In fact at the time there was a couple on our block, a suburbanite white family actually moved back to conneticut in the mid-nineties, fearing the area around fifth avenue. That's not to say it wasn't changing or that it was some sort of hellhole, but it was far from gentrified.

Fifth avenue throughout the nineties was dominated by Puerto Rican businesses and families. Fourth avenue remained a wasteland until the 00s.

I say this as someone with fond memories of the early nineties in Brooklyn around Park Slope. It was still seedy in parts, but mostly it was just down to earth and real- with a real mixture of people.
As a kid we'd play on the street- a mix of kids from old Irish, Peurto Rican, Italian, Jewish and black families. There was a feeling of everyone knowing one another- for better or worse. And there were characters- tons of characters.

It was FAR from the yuppie playground it is today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 09:28 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
^
NO, to the statement above.

post number 10 is correct.

I started working in PS in the very early 90's and it was starting to change for the better. Aunt Suzies opened up, and 5th Ave was on its way.

I walked out for lunch, never felt unsafe or anything and was fine.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:35 AM

As I said, Fifth Avenue was primarily Puerto Rican businesses and small shops.
No, it wasn't bad, but it was FAR from where it is today.

And it amazes me that you don't remember the obvious effects of the crack epidemic on the neighborhood.
It was very apparent to me, a child at the time.

And did you even read what I said about the neighborhood at the time?

Last edited by Nihilove; 06-06-2014 at 09:56 AM..

Old 06-06-2014, 10:01 AM

I think I see where the confusion is.

"Aunt Suzies" was on Garfield and Carroll. Yes, I suppose there was 'development' over there.

Everything from Fourth or Fifth Street up on Fifth Ave was very much working class and by Ninth Street it remained very sketchy until the mid-nineties.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:11 AM

I worked on 4th Ave and Garfield at the time, walked to 7th Ave & in the vicinity during lunch, didn't hike to 9th Street though, to far.

Maybe I'm wrong then, my bad.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I worked on 4th Ave and Garfield at the time, walked to 7th Ave & in the vicinity during lunch, didn't hike to 9th Street though, to far.

Maybe I'm wrong then, my bad.
No problem. Thank you for being open to it.

Yes, over that way is where there is starkest change has taken place.

Ninth Street was literally lined up with junkies. You don't see that anymore.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:30 PM

424 posts, read 974,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilove View Post
I know this is a very old thread, but I had to say something when I saw this-

The above statement is simply not true. In the very early nineties, much of Park Slope remained very UN-gentrified. I can vividely remember the crackheads and junkies lining the streets, particularly on ninth street from sixth avenue down towards fourth.

In fact at the time there was a couple on our block, a suburbanite white family actually moved back to conneticut in the mid-nineties, fearing the area around fifth avenue. That's not to say it wasn't changing or that it was some sort of hellhole, but it was far from gentrified.

Fifth avenue throughout the nineties was dominated by Puerto Rican businesses and families. Fourth avenue remained a wasteland until the 00s.

I say this as someone with fond memories of the early nineties in Brooklyn around Park Slope. It was still seedy in parts, but mostly it was just down to earth and real- with a real mixture of people.
As a kid we'd play on the street- a mix of kids from old Irish, Peurto Rican, Italian, Jewish and black families. There was a feeling of everyone knowing one another- for better or worse. And there were characters- tons of characters.

It was FAR from the yuppie playground it is today.
This is interesting, I've heard old timers speaking about the dangerous pockets of Park Slope in the 80's- 90's but looking at it today it's hard to even imagine them.

If Park Slope was un-gentrified up till the mid-90's or so it's amazing how much of a transformation (and how fast it happened) the neighborhood has gone through in 15-20 years alone. It's probably like a different world not compared to the 80's.

What happened? Was it the dot com boom of the late 90's that changed things or the rampant real estate speculation of 2005-2009 that really made home prices go sky high? Re-zoning? These days it's like a clone of Brooklyn Heights and Cobble Hill with million dollar prices to match.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanson View Post
This is interesting, I've heard old timers speaking about the dangerous pockets of Park Slope in the 80's- 90's but looking at it today it's hard to even imagine them.

If Park Slope was un-gentrified up till the mid-90's or so it's amazing how much of a transformation (and how fast it happened) the neighborhood has gone through in 15-20 years alone. It's probably like a different world not compared to the 80's.

What happened? Was it the dot com boom of the late 90's that changed things or the rampant real estate speculation of 2005-2009 that really made home prices go sky high? Re-zoning? These days it's like a clone of Brooklyn Heights and Cobble Hill with million dollar prices to match.
Parts of Park Slope where already gentrified, such as seventh avenue, (Which is where the discrepancies between myself and others comes into play) but much of it remained working class and diverse into the early 00s.

The seeds were planted as early as the 80s but what happened in the 00s was, at least to me, beyond the pale.

But the truth is 15 to 20 years is nothing compared to Williamsburg. How long did that take? 7 years?

The "progress" is happening faster and faster. I see it everywhere. The rich buy up as much as they can, raise rents and price out the 'un-desirables'.

Some might call it progress. Personally, I think the phrase should be changed from 'Gentrification' to 'Sterilization'.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:45 PM

Gowanus is now starting to gentrify. There are a few things popping up here and there and more foot traffice than ever has started on 3rd ave between Union and 9th....

Old 02-09-2017, 12:22 AM

1 posts, read 750 times
Park slope is now a large hotel.no one stays anymore.the small businesses that made it so great are all gone or going.cant last without steady good will.customers.the make up is parents , taken care of six to 12 year olds .Then they move.the others are rich and don't stay in the area .They own multiple multi million dollar homes.the bars and restaurants are empty.tge whole foods killed the smaller fruit stands .The high rents keep retail store fronts empty or constantly turning over.the fourth avenue dream is a nightmare.people who sold made out.,high prices.but the last two years have been getting hard to turn a profit or sell for the asking price .A good crash may liven the place up.mabey the over built
Area will become competitive and bring some nieghborhood people who will stay a while and stop the hotel style living that park slope
,Once a great place to be , because of the community,not the rock developers may become, that which it once was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City