Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 05:25 PM

224 posts, read 1,085,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolchris4000b View Post
I would look into my neighborhood which is Inwood, where I was born and raised, I have deep roots here, my family has been here for generations, it is Manhattans northern-most neighborhood, with a long history. It's very affordable for NYC terms, you could probably get a 2BR for about $1600 in a nice elevator building with a good super. Now the thing about Inwood is it is a beautiful neighborhood with the 2nd largest park in Manhattan (2nd to Central Park) but you should NOT go WEST of Broadway. Anything East is fine and dandy. Inwood does have a very large Hispanic population (Mostly Dominicans) but also a good amount of Irish-Americans and Irish immigrants, it was an Irish majority neighborhood since about the 1930s. They still have a very noticable presence, many Irish pubs, stores, an Irish Catholic Church (Good Sheppard).I'm Irish-American myself and If I had to guess I would say East of Broadway is about 60% Irish and 30% Dominican with the rest being mixed. while West of Broadway is almost 90% Dominican and 10% Irish with the remaining Irish being very poor and couldn't afford to move out. Inwood is often confused with Washington Heights, us Inwoodites take great offense to that. We are much better in OUR opinion! LOL. But Inwood is a great, affordable, quiet, safe(east of Broadway), old NYC Middle Class, neighborhood. Broadway is where you'll find many express buses to Manhattan, the A train express subway (be downtown in less then 25 minutes)., Spanish food cafes, Irish pubs, Many stores like GameStop, Footlocker, etc. If you go up to the Bronx which is only about a 5 minute bus ride on the 20 bus, they just put up a new mall with a Target, Applebees, Marshalls, Lane Bryant, Walgreens and dozens of other smaller stores. Inwood is the best kept secret in NYC. You will be amazed when you find Indian Caves in Manhattan! It also has the Columbia football field where they play College football games every Sunday during the winter. this article will tell you everything you need to know; If You're Thinking of Living In/Inwood - Away From Manhattan Without Leaving - NYTimes.com

Disregard what I said, reverse the East and West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 09:09 PM

8 posts, read 40,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolchris4000b View Post
Disregard what I said, reverse the East and West.
Haha. Ok thanks so much. You had great info for me.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:37 PM
grant516

n/a posts
To answer the OP's question, since he is looking for -Manhattan-, the lowest price place where there's some nightlife (or close to it) would be the Lower East Side.

It still however, when compared to Chicago is extremely expensive. For some reason New York's real estate costs are bottom line, twice what you'd find in Chicago which is a crying shame.

A studio will be in the $1000 price point a month.
If that's too much you will have to look outside Manhattan.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:26 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
To answer the OP's question, since he is looking for -Manhattan-, the lowest price place where there's some nightlife (or close to it) would be the Lower East Side.

It still however, when compared to Chicago is extremely expensive. For some reason New York's real estate costs are bottom line, twice what you'd find in Chicago which is a crying shame.

A studio will be in the $1000 price point a month.
If that's too much you will have to look outside Manhattan.
Are there really $1000 studios on the Lower East Side? Are they large enough to turn around in?

Old 07-29-2010, 12:01 AM

447 posts, read 1,564,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Are there really $1000 studios on the Lower East Side? Are they large enough to turn around in?

There are no $1000 studios in the Lower East Side.
Not since 10 years ago. Maybe somewhere near the pj's but not in a decent place.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:14 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
I paid $1290 for my studio in Yorkville :-/

That was 2002. And it was rent stabilized! Had a nice brick wall.

Eh, I was desperate, and fleeing a neighbor dispute in NJ that had ended up in court.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:02 AM

396 posts, read 1,008,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
There's no such thing as an affordable neighborhood with nightlife in Manhattan. If it’s affordable it’s way up north (Inwood or Washington Heights). Unfortunately basic amenities, like bars and restaurants are sorely lacking.

If it has nightlife, like the East Village or Chelsea, it’s expensive. In Manhattan, the better the nightlife the more expensive the neighborhood. They’re expensive because everyone wants to live in a cool neighborhood with nightlife.

For the best balance you should look at Brooklyn (Williamsburg, Green Pont, Fort Green) or Queens (Astoria).
There are tons of bars and restaurant in Inwood and Washington Heights, just not of the whitebread, Sex and the City sort.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:37 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,356 times
Since these always turn into pimp your nabe threads, I have to do my part.

There are tons of bars and restaurants in Washington Heights - there are sit-down Thai, Japanese, Mexican, and American joints within one block of my apartment. There is easy access to the waterfront for biking and Ft Tryon is a gorgeous park for running. Large, pre-war apartments are cheap and rent-stabilized - if you are lucky like me, you can even have a view of the Hudson. And due to the poor economy, you won't have to pay a broker's fee. I'm on the A train which takes me 30 minutes to get to Columbus Circle (many will say it is 20, but that is only if you hit it perfectly). Last night, I saw a concert at Lincoln Center and was home in 20 minutes.

The best rent deals are east of Broadway, but the gentrified part of the neighborhood is west of Broadway. It is especially safe along Ft Washington, as Columbia has security patrols to protect their med students.

However, the A train runs local after 10:45ish and if you do a lot of socializing downtown, it is a pain in the butt. I wouldn't recommend Washington Heights to a single person who will end up taking lots of cabs home. You might as well put the cab money into paying more rent closer to where you socialize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City