Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 03:31 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,678,883 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know? Blacks in New York speak different from other blacks in the other regions of this country. You have to remember that blacks in the north migrated from the rural south during the Great Migration. The thing that is interesting is that many blacks in regions in the west and mid west still hold on to their southern twang that their grandparents brought with them. However, New York City is different. Blacks and Puerto Ricans have this distinct accent. Why is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 03:35 PM

824 posts, read 2,791,528 times
"The origins of the dialect are diverse, and the source of many features is probably not recoverable."
New York dialect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-28-2010, 09:02 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
I heard that the stereotypical, general NY accent is similar to an Italian accent because of all the italians who came here. But that's just what I heard, I don't know if it's true.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:20 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
There is a long standing history of the nyc accent. Nyc accent is probably the 2nd most recgonizable english accent agter british english imo. The remenants of the dutch can still be heard in the nyc accent like for example the word stoop is dutch for steps. I'm not sure what impact the the germans and irish left on nyc english but I think the jews and the italians also some eastern europeans have the biggest impact on nyc accent. Many yiddish words are commnly heard in nyc like delicatessen and ******. I also. Have noticed that some puerto ricans that speak with a nyc accent simular to what italians speak. You guys should check out gangs of ny and hear the nyc accent of the mid 19th century.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:36 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,363,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
The thing that is interesting is that many blacks in regions in the west and mid west still hold on to their southern twang that their grandparents brought with them.
I live in Georgia and I work with some Black women from Detroit. The funny thing to me was that had they never told me they were from Detroit I would have just assumed they were from the south. Their accents aren't as southern as mine but their accents aren't too different either. Yeah and southernesq accents are common with Blacks on the west coast. They pronounce alot of their words like we do in the south.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:55 AM

215 posts, read 661,341 times
The Great Migration was in the 40's and 50's - just three generations ago or so. I suppose that's not enough for a fairly intraverted community to lose their accents, which is why Detroit and New York African-Americans speak in a Southern dialect.

Modern Black New York dialect is becoming quite different because modern Black New Yorkers are very heavily Caribbean, not Southern US.

And as people above said, as for the classic white New York accent, its origins are somewhat obscure. There's definitely influence of foreign accents (dental t's and d's, etc.), but this is an insufficient explanation.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:47 AM

648 posts, read 1,618,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I heard that the stereotypical, general NY accent is similar to an Italian accent because of all the italians who came here. But that's just what I heard, I don't know if it's true.
Some of the most noticeable NY accents come from my workers with Irish ancestry. I think you can hear a mix of both Irish and Italian emphasis in the accent.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:56 AM

Do any of you notice a significant difference with accents as far as the boroughs? I've heard of people having a "Queens accent" for example.

Locals and linguists argue that notorious Queens accent is fading away

Old 07-29-2010, 10:22 AM

Check this out.

YouTube - The accents of the 5 boroughs of NYC -- a how to by a native -- the real deal!

Old 07-29-2010, 11:07 AM

215 posts, read 661,341 times
According to Labow, there's no "Queens accent" or any borough accent for that matter. The differences are mainly along the lines of ethnicity (not always corresponding to one's own - Giuliani spoke with an Irish NYC accent), and, far more importantly, class (the thick working class NYC accent, quickly disappearing, the milder middle class accent, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City