Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 11:42 PM

213 posts, read 508,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Liberal policies didn't destroy the Bronx. Real estate speculators, with the help of city government, destroyed the S. Bronx. You need to watch a documentary film called Decade of Fire and learn about the effects of redlining and burning people of undesirable colors out of their homes.
Amazing documentary; saw it at Metrograph and stayed for the Q&A with the producers/editors.

The collective decisions and chain of events that led the South Bronx to burn to the ground were criminal.

And yes I also realize this is a decade-old thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2020, 07:11 AM

3,743 posts, read 1,440,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
What you smoking gentrification has already hit the bronx most notably mott haven, and concourse village which is yuppifiying the grand concourse but things have slowed down because of the recent economic crisis. I see hipsters all the time in my niegborhood of mott haven. Some how the Hipsters seem attracted to the Bronx history of Urban decay in the form of art.
I have to agree with you to a certain extent here. I remember visiting mott haven a few weeks ago and I noticed condos on its south end. Other than that. Mta needs to fix the ugly train stations in Mott haven like 3rd Avenue.

Old 04-03-2020, 11:34 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,828,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I lived on the UWS and there were frequently stripped down, totally burned out cars with all the wheels removed on some of the blocks East of Broadway and above 96th Street.I lived on Riverside Drive and 105th street which was sort of ok even though their were a fair number of burned out boarded up buildings but people were very reluctant (myself included) to even walk on the East side of Broadway in the low 100's.I would come up from the subway at 103rd street and get across and off of Broadway ASAP.

During the night of the blackout riots in July of 1977 I was in my apartment in the dark in 95 degree heat listening to the screaming,the sirens and the smashing glass all night long.I was too afraid to go out.The next morning when I went out and saw Broadway I couldn't believe it.There were dozens of cops and firemen around and most of the stores had been broken into and trashed and there were still smoldering heaps of burned trash and stuff dragged out of the stores.Shards of glass everywhere.
This was on Broadway on the UWS ,not The South Bronx,not Harlem,not Bed Stuy.The "urban decay" was definitely not confined to areas outside of Manhattan.
The following is only my opnion:

Excerpt: This was on Broadway on the UWS ,not The South Bronx,not Harlem,not Bed Stuy.The "urban decay" was definitely not confined to areas outside of Manhattan.

Response: The urban decay was a complimentary hello .............the poverty sprawl of your N.Y.C.H.A. neighbors and surroundings.

Old 04-03-2020, 12:17 PM

15,822 posts, read 14,460,687 times
When I drive down from Westchester, I get off the Deagan at the Madison Avenue Bridge exit and stay on the service road until I can turn onto the Third Avenue Bridge. Right at that corner, a big, expensive looking high rise is going up, in a location that wouldn't look like it would be marketable for expensive apartments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
I have to agree with you to a certain extent here. I remember visiting mott haven a few weeks ago and I noticed condos on its south end. Other than that. Mta needs to fix the ugly train stations in Mott haven like 3rd Avenue.

Old 04-03-2020, 12:38 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,613,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Liberal policies didn't destroy the Bronx. Real estate speculators, with the help of city government, destroyed the S. Bronx. You need to watch a documentary film called Decade of Fire and learn about the effects of redlining and burning people of undesirable colors out of their homes.
Now there's a documentary I haven't watched yet! Thank you now to find where to get it/watch it online.

Old 04-03-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
Here's a video clip from a Bronx (Jewish) wedding held in 1948 at the Concourse Plaza Hotel at 161st. street and the Concourse.
I worked in the Bronx in 1965-67 and it was a pretty decent and secure place then but hell, that was 45 years ago and this old world has
seen a lot of change since then. Wish that I could say that today's change was for the better but after watching those two sad videos,
it'll take a lifetime to return to the Bronx that I remember.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4qkBLQYDmo
The following is only my opinion:

Thank you for this wonderful video.
Many seniors are treated as children " to be seen and not heard"
I welcome and appreciate your wisdom,your truthfulness and your experiences.
If only others can listen with open minds.
As the old saying goes...........One can only lead a horse to water.
Best Wishes.................

Old 04-03-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
Thank God the Bronx, Harlem and the rest of NYC no longer looks like that. And yet I can't believe some people in this board say they miss the old grity NY because it had "soul". Oh please! Are you kidding me? What's there to miss? It was a crime infested city. The 70's and 80's were the worst times NY has ever seen and hopefully will never return. Like it or not, thanks to gentrification, the city has improved drastically.

Though gentrification hasn't really hit the Bronx like it has in the other outer boroughs, I'm hoping within a 10 year period it does so we can finally cleanse and flush out all the left over undesirables from that era that still have a negative lifestyle influence (stigma) on the Bronx which keeps it from prospering and taking it to the next level.
The following is only my opinion:
At 1:38 of the Harlem Video the White buildings ( if memory serves me ) was to be the terminus for a
purported second ave subway line. I was working the neighborhood during the times of their construction.
They were beautiful......I said were....
The introduction of wealth into the neighborhood as well as the subway never came to fruition by the time
the buildings were erected. Thankfully some improvement was made but it takes not one person but the entire
neighborhood of people all on the same page to make those promises come true. Introduce crime or drugs
( not being on the same page ) and all is thrown to the waste side.....................
Great neighborhoods are held together because the people who live in them care enough to keep them that way...................nuff said.......

Old 04-04-2020, 08:15 AM

1,486 posts, read 987,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
No one believes until they see it for themselves but this site is filled with people that moved out the South BX decades ago or only come to the BX for events at Yankee Stadium and that makes them more knowledgeable than someone that is currently living in the South Bronx watching the change happen.

Old 04-04-2020, 09:11 AM

34,003 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
No one believes until they see it for themselves but this site is filled with people that moved out the South BX decades ago or only come to the BX for events at Yankee Stadium and that makes them more knowledgeable than someone that is currently living in the South Bronx watching the change happen.
Pay no attention to them at all

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-05-2020, 09:27 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,613,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
I can't tell half the time, I might be giving more credit to people who sound knowledgeable about the Bronx. I gave it a try, and while some areas are no way in hell I'll come back (177th and Jerome in particular...), there's some good s*** popping up. My favorite lager is the Mott Haven Lager they serve at the Mott Haven Bar and Girll, and the $15 filet mignon (probably more now) was really really good. Those 6 line stations really really suck though.

My favorite day will be when office buildings start filling in the Hub and I can get a job there and live out in Pelham Parkway with a short commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City