Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2010, 10:31 AM

3 posts, read 9,509 times

Advertisements

Hi guys
I'm about to arrive to NYC next week, and will be looking for an apartment.
I was thinking Brooklyn, but have no idea which areas are the best for me, as a female student (walking alone at night, coming back from school).
I'm a photographer, therefor will be glad to live where there are artists and student.
My budget is 2000$, and loft are great, but also studio and 1br.
I will need to get each morning to midtown west manhatten.

I was told to look at DUMBO and WILLIAMSBURG

Thanks for your help and information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 07:35 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,151,214 times
Here are a few threads I found. They discuss Brooklyn and things related to Brooklyn as well as other things that can apply to Brooklyn.

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-1500-1-a.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...recommend.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...ew-jersey.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...ds-please.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...hborhoods.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...rklyn-hts.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...what-they.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...yn-queens.html

Old 08-01-2010, 01:42 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,310,726 times
You should be able to find a nice place in Brooklyn Heights as well as DUMBO. Williamsburg is not in the same league as those areas, both in terms of convenience and neighborhood feel/amenities. You're in the ballpark for that area, though many apartments do rent for significantly more than your budget, but you can find a walk-up and/or a studio in the area.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-01-2010, 08:57 AM

588 posts, read 1,316,373 times
Brooklyn Heights is probably the most expensive neighborhood in Brooklyn, but it is really safe & convenient to Manhattan. Park Slope is great, but more for families than singles (unless you stick to the area near 5th Ave - there are lots of young singles there). Prospect Heights is next to Park Slope and lots of young people, but more of an up-and-coming neighborhood. In addition to DUMBO and Williamsburg, try Carroll Gardens.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:30 PM

4 posts, read 11,852 times
Williamsburg is especially known for artists and hipsters also. However, as bmwguydc said, Williamsburg is not the best in terms of subway options.

Dumbo is a great neighborhood and houses many artist-related businesses artists take up residency there. Not sure what $2,000 will get you in Dumbo, but I can def refer you to some r/e agents.

You can definitely get something decent in Williamsburg for that amount, but some parts are very sketchy at night. Dumbo is known to be a safe neighborhood, but because there's no nigtlife there, the streets become desolate.

I would personally recommend Clinton Hill or Prospect Heights. Clinton Hill is home to Pratt Institute is rampant with college students. Prospect Heights is next to Clinton Hill and has great things for you to do, is near Prospect Park and offers a lot of culture. Because of the nitelife, etc. the streets don't become so desolate at night. However, I wouldn't recommend you walking anywhere late at night...Dumbo or Bklyn Heights!

Good luck!

Old 08-01-2010, 08:09 PM

244 posts, read 566,626 times
DUMBO.

Favorite neighborhood in BK.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,235 times
I am considering moving to Fort Hamilton area, not sure where to even begin to look. I have two good kids, one really musicly gifted, but it seems really expensive there, can anyone suggest where to begin?

Old 02-02-2012, 09:53 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,607,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deas1997 View Post
I am considering moving to Fort Hamilton area, not sure where to even begin to look. I have two good kids, one really musicly gifted, but it seems really expensive there, can anyone suggest where to begin?
You might want to begin with starting a new thread as against posting a comment on a 1-1/2 year old thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City