Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2010, 11:22 AM

3 posts, read 8,508 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to 101st an Lexington from the UES- it works well for my work situation and budget (close to 6 train and central park etc). However all the posts threads I can find were from 2008 and I am wondering how and if the area has changed post recession. When I visit the store owners etc mention the area is better than it's ever been. A visit to the police precinct confirmed crime is still down. There are tons of new developments condos and that glass spire but the night scene is still sketchy and there are shootings a few block north. I would be buying a place and expecting to stay (with kids) for at least 5 years. If the economy continues to plummet is this going to get worse? Seems it'll be first to gentrify and first to plunge into crime. Kindly, please advise. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 12:42 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,382 times
i have been to this area a lot recently, and it seems to be everything the store owners are telling you it is. no one can predict what will happen in the future, but the block is in manhattan, and it is close to the ues. i don't think all the people that have had to move out of the area will be able to move back into it. the projects are there, but from what i see it seems to be a pretty good project, it is a diverse project.

there are so many luxury condiminiums going up in the area, and with the location, unless all the people with means, leave manhattan, i cannot see the area turning around at this point.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:14 AM

3 posts, read 8,508 times
Thanks DAS! I appreciate your feedback. There are some great spots for food and drink on lex opening up- it's good to hear you dont expect it to go back which is of course a concern in recession econoimics. I hear there is a condo with large supermarket being built on 104th and lex - (east side of street).

Old 11-03-2011, 07:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,889 times
Hello Das, I'm doing a presentation for my college course about the Latina/o experience in the U.S and i have chosen to do it on East Harlem. What i'm looking for is sign of Latinidad in the neighborhood but its hard to complete this given that I'm working, going to school and I live in the opposite direction. could you give me particular regions of East Harlem to explore to find what I'm looking for?

Old 11-03-2011, 08:59 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
You say you have kids. If they are school age, consider where they will go if you live in E Harlem. Most of the public schools in that neighborhood have a reputation as being notoriously dysfunctional and low-performing.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:17 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
You say you have kids. If they are school age, consider where they will go if you live in E Harlem. Most of the public schools in that neighborhood have a reputation as being notoriously dysfunctional and low-performing.

Took the words out of my mouth. I personally would think VERY carefully about bringing my kids to live up there, new yuppie condos or not. And not only because of the schools. Because of their social lives and what they could fall into.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:18 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
It really is a neighborhood on the cusp. I don't think anyone could reasonably refer to it as "El Barrio" anymore.

A couple blocks North or South and you have a startling difference.

I'd say go for it if you can solve the school problem for your kids. I doubt the local public schools are a good option.

(What is that school at 96th and Third?)

Old 11-04-2011, 03:17 PM

395 posts, read 1,214,557 times
(What is that school at 96th and Third?)[/quote]

It's the Lower Lab School and PS 198. Lower Lab is gifted and PS 189 is well, not.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:52 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Thanks, shea...I appreciated that Village Voice article on another thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: