Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-02-2010, 09:20 PM
 
41 posts, read 190,976 times
Reputation: 25

Advertisements

I live on Long Island and whenever I need to get to Manhattan or Brooklyn, I just take the train. But recently I've found myself doing more long distance road trips to New England, PA, and Jersey (Great Adventure and such). I just want to learn the roads better so if one way is extremely backed up I'll have more options open to me.

For instance, I just recently learned that taking the Clearview is way better than getting the Throgs Neck from Cross Island.

1) I REALLY need an alternate route to the GWB though. Outbound, the cross-bronx and GWB is never that big of a problem for me but inbound is ALWAYS a horrific experience. Bumper to bumper traffic for 1+ hours, and once was even at 2 am! Google maps always tells me to take the Holland Tunnel and Williamsburg Bridge. I've never driven through the city streets before but I think I'm experienced enough of a driver that if it is indeed a faster route, I'll take it.

2) I know sometimes people take the Tappan Zee to bypass the city. If I'm coming from PA (I-78), is this a viable option for me? Also, can someone describe this route for me to get back to LI and how much more of a toll it would entail?

3) I'm going up to MA this weekend (Six Flags) and I know the most straightforward way is I-95 --> I-91 but are there any little shortcuts I should know about? I know sometimes if that little stretch of I-95 around the bruckner/I-695 is packed, I can switch to the Hutchinson for a little. I'm asking because I'll be driving during morning rush hour on a Saturday.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-03-2010, 09:45 AM
 
24 posts, read 207,298 times
Reputation: 20
Unless it's the middle of the night or the middle of the day I would avoid Manhattan at all costs. The Tappan Zee is viable option to cross the Hudson if you're coming closer to the north rather than 78. In the summer there is a lot of traffic on I-95 in Connecticut going east. I would recommend taking the car Ferry From Orient Point to New London allowing you to bypass all of the city/Connecticut traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2010, 04:22 PM
 
Location: NYC & NJ
747 posts, read 2,762,183 times
Reputation: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDong217 View Post
1) I REALLY need an alternate route to the GWB though. Outbound, the cross-bronx and GWB is never that big of a problem for me but inbound is ALWAYS a horrific experience. Bumper to bumper traffic for 1+ hours, and once was even at 2 am! Google maps always tells me to take the Holland Tunnel and Williamsburg Bridge. I've never driven through the city streets before but I think I'm experienced enough of a driver that if it is indeed a faster route, I'll take it.

2) I know sometimes people take the Tappan Zee to bypass the city. If I'm coming from PA (I-78), is this a viable option for me? Also, can someone describe this route for me to get back to LI and how much more of a toll it would entail?

3) I'm going up to MA this weekend (Six Flags) and I know the most straightforward way is I-95 --> I-91 but are there any little shortcuts I should know about? I know sometimes if that little stretch of I-95 around the bruckner/I-695 is packed, I can switch to the Hutchinson for a little. I'm asking because I'll be driving during morning rush hour on a Saturday.

Thanks in advance
1. Weeknights after, say, 10PM you are def better off taking the Holland and W'burg bridge route. On weekends this can be bad though, with so many people going to LI from NJ, or vice versa (thus leading to gridlock on Canal and Broome streets).

2. You may have mis-heard something. Tappan Zee (which is north of the city taking I87 upstate) would be a huge detour coming from PA on I78. Were they talking about the Verrazano bridge (which helps you get to LI from NJ via Staten Island)? IDK where on LI you're coming from, but the Verrazano connects Brooklyn from the Belt Parkway to SI and then you cross SI into NJ, get on the turnpike briefly and then I78.

3. Just stay on the Hutch if you're comfortable driving a 2-lane freeway with lots of twists, turns and elevation changes. It becomes the Merritt Parkway (CT 15) which will take you back I91 in Central CT (near Middletown), exit 69 or 70 something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2010, 06:08 PM
 
41 posts, read 190,976 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Costanza View Post
1. Weeknights after, say, 10PM you are def better off taking the Holland and W'burg bridge route. On weekends this can be bad though, with so many people going to LI from NJ, or vice versa (thus leading to gridlock on Canal and Broome streets).

2. You may have mis-heard something. Tappan Zee (which is north of the city taking I87 upstate) would be a huge detour coming from PA on I78. Were they talking about the Verrazano bridge (which helps you get to LI from NJ via Staten Island)? IDK where on LI you're coming from, but the Verrazano connects Brooklyn from the Belt Parkway to SI and then you cross SI into NJ, get on the turnpike briefly and then I78.

3. Just stay on the Hutch if you're comfortable driving a 2-lane freeway with lots of twists, turns and elevation changes. It becomes the Merritt Parkway (CT 15) which will take you back I91 in Central CT (near Middletown), exit 69 or 70 something.
I guess I probably misheard about the Tappan Zee since I just looked at a map and yeah...LOL. But now that you mention it, theVerrazano might be a viable alternative for me. The I-278 exit is pretty close to the I-78. I live on the very south shore of LI, close to the nassau-suffolk border so I can pretty much take the belt/southern state all the way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2010, 06:30 PM
 
41 posts, read 190,976 times
Reputation: 25
Edit: sorry, dumb question. Read GCostanza's post incorrectly.

Last edited by JDong217; 08-03-2010 at 07:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 02:27 PM
 
Location: NYC & NJ
747 posts, read 2,762,183 times
Reputation: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDong217 View Post
I guess I probably misheard about the Tappan Zee since I just looked at a map and yeah...LOL. But now that you mention it, theVerrazano might be a viable alternative for me. The I-278 exit is pretty close to the I-78. I live on the very south shore of LI, close to the nassau-suffolk border so I can pretty much take the belt/southern state all the way
Yeah if you're encountering inbound problems late at night at the GWB and live in southern LI, you could take the Holland thru downtown to the Bklyn bridge and the belt parkway.

Outbound towards I78/PA you should avoid the Holland (or any Manhattan connection) and take the Verrazano/SI route to NJ and I78.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top