Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 02:32 PM

54 posts, read 154,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyland382 View Post
Honestly, Harlem is becoming less and less "bad," even during the night. I live in Harlem and absolutely love it. Unfortunately the name cannot shake the image of the black urban blight that was a problem in the 80s and 90s. Harlem is actually a very vibrant, culturally diverse (although it retains a lot of its African American culture) neighborhood. Where I live on 5th Avenue, many of the streets are tree-lined and full of beautiful brownstones...and look like many of the streets on the Upper West or Upper East Sides! Desolate areas (like under the Metro North tracks on Park Avenue) and the projects are areas that should be avoided, but everywhere else seems to be nicer than most people think.
This is all true. Most of Harlem is fine. Just stay away from the PJ's late at night and its pretty safe. Even some PJ's are not to bad, ie Manhattanville Houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 02:52 PM

34,043 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidedr View Post
This is all true. Most of Harlem is fine. Just stay away from the PJ's late at night and its pretty safe. Even some PJ's are not to bad, ie Manhattanville Houses.
manhattanville, grant, both are actually pretty safe. been in them all times of nights without a problem.

the worst parts of harlem are definitely:

lenox ave north of harlem hospital
wagner houses
drew hamilton houses
112th from lenox to second ave
and im sure there are a few other smaller pockets here and there

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-24-2010, 03:31 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,768,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyland382 View Post
Honestly, Harlem is becoming less and less "bad," even during the night. I live in Harlem and absolutely love it. Unfortunately the name cannot shake the image of the black urban blight that was a problem in the 80s and 90s. Harlem is actually a very vibrant, culturally diverse (although it retains a lot of its African American culture) neighborhood. Where I live on 5th Avenue, many of the streets are tree-lined and full of beautiful brownstones...and look like many of the streets on the Upper West or Upper East Sides! Desolate areas (like under the Metro North tracks on Park Avenue) and the projects are areas that should be avoided, but everywhere else seems to be nicer than most people think.

It was about 1am and I was walking down Lenox from 125th st to see if Sylvia's was still open but found an African restaurant open(good food) and ate there. I noticed several whites walking the street and noticed that every other side block reminded me of a block on the UES. What kept me in reality that I was in Harlem was this streetwalker who wanted to know where my wife was and if I wanted a date. Oh well, that's the city for you. Always expect the unexpected or what should be expected.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:41 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,768,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
This is generally true.Although the East Harlem precinct has one of the highest crime rates in NYC,the crime rates for the highest crime areas of NYC don't come near the crime rates of most American cities..... especially Detroit, which seems to be in a perpetuual battle with New Orleans for the title of most crime ridden city in the country.
St Louis,Columbus,Cincinnati,Philadelphia,Memphis, Atlanta,Miami and many other cities have citywide( including the good neighborhoods) crime rates that are higher than the highest crime precincts of NY. In other words you are safer on the streets of East Harlem,The South Bronx or East New york than you are on the "average "streets in these cities.
I agree, I've felt more unsafe in Mount Vernon and I've said this many times on these forums. The only time I was assaulted, robbed and left for dead was in all white Wantagh LI.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:40 PM

412 posts, read 1,326,879 times
If you lived in Detriot and Chicago believe me you can go to any part of Harlem.

It's not as dangerous as it used to be, hell they have tour buses rolling through Harlem now.

If you not looking for trouble it won't find you.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:37 PM

988 posts, read 3,254,266 times
I agree with many of the above, Harlem isn't as bad as a whole or even close to the South Side of Chicago(and West Side which is worse than the South by far), Detroit, Memphis, NO, and so on. Living on the South Side of Chicago for a few years helped me develop thicker skin. Still, don't be fooled and NEVER let your guard down, right when you do that is when you'll be mugged or worse.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:09 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,043,702 times
The worst part of Harlem in terms of violent crime rate, is the lower central part of Harlem, confined to the 28th precinct (110's -120's, St Nick, Lenox, 7th, 8th etc etc). Historically, this area has been the worst and it in 2009, had a higher violent crime rate than East NY, Brooklyn.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:49 AM

1 posts, read 8,422 times
I am looking on 121st st at a 1 br in a brownstone...its btwn Lenox and 7th... Im a girl my mid 20's..what do you think? Sounds like you live on a similar block

Old 10-02-2011, 01:02 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,912,628 times
Ummm, all of it.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:40 AM

4 posts, read 11,993 times
I am looking into renting an apartment on the ground floor of 145 and Edgecombe. Safe? I will probably be using the 145th ST Station. I am 23 and while tall, pretty skinny. My mother whom is 56 will also be with me for the first week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City