Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 07:34 PM

12 posts, read 18,487 times

Advertisements

i want to go to new york. the big city dream. i want to be able to go to a school where art/graphic design/ advertising is involved. i want to be able to go to the city and enjoy the culture really. i would either live on campus or live somewhere...rather not expensive you know? artsy town like yall have described. i have 2 years left in high school..and im getting scared !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 08:42 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,188 times
How will you pay for it?

Old 08-06-2010, 01:20 PM

obviously i'm am not completely sure about that yet. i am counting on hopefully scholarships, and loans that i will pay for the rest of my life. im not a very materialistic person either so i can do without the little things...if that is what you are asking about. i need a goal and this is what im looking for here!

Old 08-06-2010, 03:08 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,188 times
How will you pay for rent? food? electric? etc?

Old 08-06-2010, 06:54 PM

a job of course! i have a job lined up for the next two years to start saving, and i will have a job while in school. etc.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:13 PM
grant516

n/a posts
Pratt institute, or Parson's New School for Design would be my top choices if I were in your boat.

School of Visual Arts (which I would say is the best career-wise of the three) would be good as well, but less... 'community'-ish.

Finally, if you're flat broke and still want to go for it... FIT on the West Side for a little while, if you're a NYS resident tuition is quite reasonable.

The other 3 schools will require a LOT of money, and if you're going for Pratt you need a killer portfolio.

If you're obscenely talented and have any special gifts, try The Cooper Union.

Best luck.
Art & Design are still very important to this City, and the World!

Old 08-08-2010, 08:29 PM

those are amazing schools and i have heard of both Pratt and Parson's. i feel like these are going to be the schools that are my High goals! I have to ask about State university of new york at new paltz? too much? is this a good school with a social life but good with the specific topics i stated before? also is it close to the city, where i will be able to experience the city if new paltz isnt high in like social life? ive heard it was a hippie town...another thing im looking for. IF NOT what other schools do you have in mind?

Old 08-09-2010, 06:36 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,157,939 times
You should also check out Brown and Yale (assuming your grades are good, and that you are aware that sentences should start with a capital letter, ha ha). Ivy League schools have amazing scholarships/endowments.

RISD (Rhode Island School of Design) is considered the top art school in the US at the moment.

Good luck!

Old 08-14-2010, 11:28 PM

i really dont want to some big school, something i can get into with a more positive look. I DONT want big names either, i mean i know what those are! (and im not typing with caps because this is a forum, didnt know it was a rule...humm

Old 08-15-2010, 12:14 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahruby View Post
i really dont want to some big school, something i can get into with a more positive look. I DONT want big names either, i mean i know what those are! (and im not typing with caps because this is a forum, didnt know it was a rule...humm
Realistically, if you want to work in any of those fields you will need a school with a big name. You prob picked the one of the most competitive fields in NYC. You "big city dream" is just that, a dream. Sorry to burst your bubble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City