Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 02:45 PM

116 posts, read 353,036 times

Advertisements

This came up on another thread, and I'm curious as to what people think about it.

Are there any neighborhoods that you feel unsafe in in NYC in the daytime, or that you know to have high levels of violent crime during the daytime (7am-7pm, I guess).

I've always been under the impression that nearly anywhere is ok in the daytime, and that areas that get unsafe, mostly do so at night, but maybe I'm completely misguided.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 04:51 PM

21 posts, read 40,221 times
I recently looked at an apartment in south Jamaica, Queens at around 10am and felt a bit uncomfortable, although I can't quote any crime statistics and it could very well be pretty safe during the day...

Old 08-04-2010, 06:06 PM

684 posts, read 1,811,880 times
East New York maybe...

I dont have too many where I would truly feel uncomfortable in the daytime

Old 08-04-2010, 07:11 PM

244 posts, read 663,481 times
South Bronx.
I was working at a place near Yankee stadium.
They broke my window and took the stereo DURING THE DAY.
Then they came back a week later and took the rear speakers.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:42 PM

224 posts, read 1,083,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allygory View Post
This came up on another thread, and I'm curious as to what people think about it.

Are there any neighborhoods that you feel unsafe in in NYC in the daytime, or that you know to have high levels of violent crime during the daytime (7am-7pm, I guess).

I've always been under the impression that nearly anywhere is ok in the daytime, and that areas that get unsafe, mostly do so at night, but maybe I'm completely misguided.

Thoughts?
Harlem 130th and up: it gets pretty rough and rowdy up there, especially on the side-streets, if your white, your one of the few. when i was on 148th and lenox at around 2pm it was almost all blacks, not even Hispanic and they weren't Jamaicans either, they were African-Americans, and I got stared down like they wanted to stab me to death, I never got so many stares like that in my life and I'm a born and raised NYer from uptown Inwood from a roughneck Irish-American block, where I guess some of the Irish-American old timers do the same stuff, but man I never felt so in danger in my life and in broad day light, now I know why Big L called this area of Harlem "The Danger Zone" he was shot to death in the same area as well. Thats a badddddd area though.

Bronx: there are plenty of areas of the Bronx you would feel uncomfortable in, where I felt most uncomfortable was in Morris Heights and Southern Blvd. I had friends who lived on Southern Blvd so i went there alot and my uncle used to train fighters in a gym over there, so i went there when i was a kid to watch him. I was jumped, robbed and kicked the ground back in 2004 by a group of Puerto Rican thugs who looked like Latin Kings, not completey sure though but they were wearing yellow bandanas and this was at around 3 or 4 in the afternoon. I never walked around there alone again. Morris Heights is another very dangerous area, its extremely impoverished and drug/gang ridden, thats a place you don't wanna go through day or night lol.

Any other places or blocks that look shady I wouldn't recomend going down, thats just asking for trouble and you wouldn't get much sympathy for getting robbed or beat up, just an "I told ya' so!". Use proper street smarts and you'll be good, of course there will always be these neighborhoods where thugs will be out to bother easy prey whether you keep to yourself of not, that means you just stay out of that hood for good lol. When me and my friend Angel made the mistake of struggling with robbers on the train before, we got badly beaten and slashed with a screwdriver. It isn't a smart thing to do, your life is more important then money or a wallet.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:49 PM

38 posts, read 124,479 times
Bed-Stuy

Old 08-04-2010, 07:51 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,327,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolchris4000b View Post
Harlem 130th and up: it gets pretty rough and rowdy up there, especially on the side-streets, if your white, your one of the few. when i was on 148th and lenox at around 2pm it was almost all blacks, not even Hispanic and they weren't Jamaicans either, they were African-Americans, and I got stared down like they wanted to stab me to death, I never got so many stares like that in my life and I'm a born and raised NYer from uptown Inwood from a roughneck Irish-American block, where I guess some of the Irish-American old timers do the same stuff, but man I never felt so in danger in my life and in broad day light, now I know why Big L called this area of Harlem "The Danger Zone" he was shot to death in the same area as well. Thats a badddddd area though.

Bronx: there are plenty of areas of the Bronx you would feel uncomfortable in, where I felt most uncomfortable was in Morris Heights and Southern Blvd. I had friends who lived on Southern Blvd so i went there alot and my uncle used to train fighters in a gym over there, so i went there when i was a kid to watch him. I was jumped, robbed and kicked the ground back in 2004 by a group of Puerto Rican thugs who looked like Latin Kings, not completey sure though but they were wearing yellow bandanas and this was at around 3 or 4 in the afternoon. I never walked around there alone again. Morris Heights is another very dangerous area, its extremely impoverished and drug/gang ridden, thats a place you don't wanna go through day or night lol.

Any other places or blocks that look shady I wouldn't recomend going down, thats just asking for trouble and you wouldn't get much sympathy for getting robbed or beat up, just an "I told ya' so!". Use proper street smarts and you'll be good, of course there will always be these neighborhoods where thugs will be out to bother easy prey whether you keep to yourself of not, that means you just stay out of that hood for good lol. When me and my friend Angel made the mistake of struggling with robbers on the train before, we got badly beaten and slashed with a screwdriver. It isn't a smart thing to do, your life is more important then money or a wallet.
So basically you're saying stay away from all the BLACK & HISPANIC areas. Just because people are staring at you doesn't mean they want to harm you if they wanted to they would've.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:15 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,059,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
So basically you're saying stay away from all the BLACK & HISPANIC areas. Just because people are staring at you doesn't mean they want to harm you if they wanted to they would've.
Where did he say to stay away from all the black and hispanic areas? That's not what I read.

Stop putting words in the guy's mouth.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:19 PM

988 posts, read 3,247,486 times
I've been to 148th and Lenox a few times and never felt uncomfortable or received bad looks. I'm Black however, so I didn't look out of place. Frankly, if you're in a neighborhood that you look different from the majority, you will receive looks, threatening or non-threatening.

To the question, there really isn't anywhere that I feel "unsafe" but by having properties in the Bronx, I felt a little uncomforable in the daytime around the intersection of Southern Blvd and Boston Rd especially after school lets out.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:24 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,359,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolchris4000b View Post

well the west of harlem in the 130,s to 150,s is dominican completly, with a few haitian , afro americans, and jamaicans.

but in central harlem isnt it diverse with Hispanics and blacks?? it never felt fully black to me when i go up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City