Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 03:35 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,290,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStant1 View Post
Troll.
Pretty much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 04:02 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,331,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc227 View Post
the union supporters are good though it means the revival of the middle class!!! Many people that live in NYC are employed by unions or the public sector so that means more people will make more money and get to retire sooner. maybe some hiring freezes will end.
This is an example of the misconception and lack of understanding (of fiscal realities) which has driven this city and state into the ground.

Of course if you're a govenment union member you're in favor of outlandish pensions and benefits found almost nowhere in the private sector....as long as the rest of us pay for it. NYC taxpayers pay the highest total tax rate in the US because of goverment workers unions. That doesn't help the economy, it hurts it.

A return of the most liberal Dems in the country, which is what the NYC Democratic party is, to the helm of NYC government will give the unions even more power.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:37 PM

876 posts, read 2,142,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Teachers DESPISE him. All the budget cuts and lack of funding in the schools.
So teachers hate him. Does that mean teachers are right. I know a few teachers and the reason why they hate him is because bloomberg makes the teachers work a lot harder for their money which they get paid pretty well. Bloomberg has really done a great job when it comes to charter schools and accountablity. Teachers are on their toes when they are working like many public workers now. Public jobs arent as easy going as they used to be. A lot more oversight.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:40 PM

Bloomberg wants to rework the penision system which I hope he does. When the public work force gets more money then the private work force then something is wrong. Do you see public workers taking home penisions of over 100k. Something is wrong with that. And if he doesnt do something about it no one will and guess who will pay for it. All of us with money that we dont have.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:14 PM

57,271 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
Bloomberg wants to rework the penision system which I hope he does. When the public work force gets more money then the private work force then something is wrong. Do you see public workers taking home penisions of over 100k. Something is wrong with that. And if he doesnt do something about it no one will and guess who will pay for it. All of us with money that we dont have.
NY State is in the process of raising raxes to cover shortfalls in the pension system because state employees no longer are required to fund their retirement. The intelligent decsion would be to go back to employees paying into their retirement but of course this is the NY state legislature.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:53 AM

65 posts, read 186,606 times
I feel I have to put my 2 cents in. I've been a city employee for over 10 years. Back when I was hired we were all making peanuts, and that was ok with everybody. When I hear some of these 25 year olds who were making millions in Wall St, and are now serving pints at the local pub, and whining about our current salaries I want to throw the pint at them. Waste of good beer, though. Now we are finally making a decent, competitive wage on par with the cost of living in NYC and suddenly there is a problem.

Having said that, let me say this.......

When I hear about some firefighter who retired on a 3/4 pension (you get 3/4 of your salary for an on-duty injury) and is competing in triathlons or mixed martial arts tornaments, that is infuriating. Abusing overtime in order to pad your city pension is also wrong and unethical. However, when the public hears about a few of these cases, they think we are ALL DOING IT.....Not so.
Most of us walk on eggshells at work, and do our jobs by the book.

I agree that a healthy private sector is essential to the overall economy. I want to see the private sector recover and thrive as much as anyone else. But I think a few bad apples are ruining it fo most of us, as it happens al throughout life, I guess.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:00 AM

65 posts, read 186,606 times
Oh, btw, because of the Bloomberg mantra of "must do more with less" a lot of city agencies have hiring freezes, which in turn cause the need for more overtime. Trust me, I would rather be hanging out with some hottie than be stuck at work until 4 am on most days.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:38 PM

461 posts, read 2,000,503 times
I prefer Bloomberg over Dinkins, Thompson and Weiner. The city needs a conservation leader to clean up the mess the liberal democrats created.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
I prefer Bloomberg over Dinkins, Thompson and Weiner. The city needs a conservation leader to clean up the mess the liberal democrats created.
It is funny that you posted that. You see Dinkins, Thompson and weiner are all the worst possible people to be mayor. I dont know who would be worse. That being said there is a special place in my heart for weiner. I hate him, he is so full of it that it turns my stomache. The vote on the state senate where the dems made it necessary to have 2/3 the vote of the senate to get the 911 workers help. There is a reason why they did that. Because if they had a vote just on majority the republicans could point where many of the earmarks of the money being spent would go. Do you know under the dems bill illegals would be allowed to collect from this fund? Well weiner doesnt want you to know and senator king is too weak and stupid to point it out.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochi loco View Post
I feel I have to put my 2 cents in. I've been a city employee for over 10 years. Back when I was hired we were all making peanuts, and that was ok with everybody. When I hear some of these 25 year olds who were making millions in Wall St, and are now serving pints at the local pub, and whining about our current salaries I want to throw the pint at them. Waste of good beer, though. Now we are finally making a decent, competitive wage on par with the cost of living in NYC and suddenly there is a problem.

Having said that, let me say this.......

When I hear about some firefighter who retired on a 3/4 pension (you get 3/4 of your salary for an on-duty injury) and is competing in triathlons or mixed martial arts tornaments, that is infuriating. Abusing overtime in order to pad your city pension is also wrong and unethical. However, when the public hears about a few of these cases, they think we are ALL DOING IT.....Not so.
Most of us walk on eggshells at work, and do our jobs by the book.

I agree that a healthy private sector is essential to the overall economy. I want to see the private sector recover and thrive as much as anyone else. But I think a few bad apples are ruining it fo most of us, as it happens al throughout life, I guess.
I also work for the city and my family has been working for the city for years. You are right when times are good we make less then the private sector but when times are bad we make more then the private sector. Since the private sector is cutting back so much the public sector. Pensions dont exist anymore in the private sector except for very few companies. I am not saying they need to get rid of our pension no way. But what I am saying is that they need to create another tier v. I think there should be a cap on how much overtime can go towards your pension. This shouldnt and cant be for current workers but for future workers. The penision system as it is now cant be maintained. The city cant afford it and neither can the state or federal government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City