Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 11:42 PM

3 posts, read 3,181 times

Advertisements

I'm also relocating from Houston to NYC in Dec.I've visited and we went to a party in Bed-Stuy. It was like third ward, full of history, becoming gentrified and shifty if you go too far down the wrong block but not too bad. We just blended in and no one bothered us. I'm not sure where i'm moving. Sad to hear about your Whole Foods experience I go there all the time and spend most of my time around the Montrose district, rice village, and memorial. I always have great experiences, but I do know Houston still has race and Classism issues, but I never found it to be too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 09:36 AM

37 posts, read 93,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherdear View Post
I'm also relocating from Houston to NYC in Dec.I've visited and we went to a party in Bed-Stuy. It was like third ward, full of history, becoming gentrified and shifty if you go too far down the wrong block but not too bad. We just blended in and no one bothered us. I'm not sure where i'm moving. Sad to hear about your Whole Foods experience I go there all the time and spend most of my time around the Montrose district, rice village, and memorial. I always have great experiences, but I do know Houston still has race and Classism issues, but I never found it to be too bad.
So since you have lived in Houston, you are a great person to ask this question. How is New York similar and different from Houston in terms of culture?

Old 09-01-2010, 04:28 PM

10 posts, read 8,962 times
Thumbs up Just move to NY already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfthewave4 View Post
So since you have lived in Houston, you are a great person to ask this question. How is New York similar and different from Houston in terms of culture?
Maybe it's time you actually relocated to NY and told us your opinion. I'm far from being a New Yorker but when a person like me who lives in a small mid-western town can imbibe the great tips that's on here, I can't think of any reason why you can't. To learn more about NY culture, try visiting your local library or wiki the stuff up or watch a documentary.

If you don't mind me asking, what minority are you? Have you gotten yourself a job? Because if you did, you'd be better off planning the routes now.

Having said that, NY has 8 million residents and the majority of them don't have you on their mind. So, take it easy, be a little optimistic and take life as it comes, unless you really wanna get mugged and learn it the hard way.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:01 PM

185 posts, read 645,165 times
Quote:
NYistheplace2 and BMWGuy thanks for the info about inwood. I'll just stay the heck out of the low income areas. They are not a joke. Seriously. I learned in Houston.

So, what means of transportation do you guys INDIVIDUALLY take (the taxis, subway or bus?) This may sound crazy but I do not know about the subways. I am slightly on the learny side about them. Seems like danger's just waiting to happen.
Who rides the subways[the rich, the poor, the creeps etc ?]

Okay, what if one day you get off the subway and you notice someone is following you - what do you do? Or a guy on the street will not take the hint when you tell him to back off? Is it time to pull out my stun gun? New Yorkers what is the correct responses to these situations? I know what I would do in my hometown, though I do not know if I would risk it in New York. It is too many people around.

What if a stranger follows you to your taxi then turns around into the dark? Is it safe to carry a stun gun or a taser in your purse?
All i have to say is there is absolutely nothing scary about Inwood even though its a low income area. Some blocks look nicer than others, but i Have to say that scary and dangerous doesnt apply.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:49 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,636,755 times
Quote:
The biggest difference to me is that even the not-so-nice areas in NYC look better than the equivalent not-so-nice areas in Houston. You won't see that many broken sidewalks, weeds growing in empty lots, tied-up horses, chained dogs, and general filth, ugliness, and lack of care you find in some parts of Houston.

Everything is at street-level and easy to get to. Well, except for the crowds trying to get there, too. People walk everywhere. That can be hard for a Houstonian married to their car to get used to.

People here are more educated and aware of the world outside their little personal bubbles, and I think that's even true of the uneducated. In Houston, and Texas, I often felt like it was every man for himself, that people had a tendency to be shortsighted and self-centered. Here, there's more of an awareness that we're all in this together; we're our brother's keeper. This is mostly noticeable in the political and social landscape. On the flip side of that, though, NYC strikes me as more segregated than Houston. So, make of that what you will.

Houstonians are usually polite, but not always helpful. New Yorkers can be nice and helpful, but not necessarily polite.

The cities are similar in that they're both diverse with tons of great food options.

Good luck with your move.

Last edited by houstoner; 09-02-2010 at 04:57 PM..

Old 09-06-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:

Well it's bigger for one and from an anthropological stand point it's way more culturally divers because it is made up of a long lineage of different immigrants from around the world that make the city amazing!! The culture is so embedded in every corner of New York. Music, art, fashion everything oozes from the streets to me. The congestion of the city is overwhelming to me because as a native Houstonian we are used to the city being spread out, New York is built up and it feels like you will never finish exploring it. I see a lot more interracial dating in New York and very diversified friend groups all over. I think if that's what youa re looking for you should like it.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:56 PM

I am actually leaving Nov 17th to be exact, so keep in touch!!

Old 09-07-2010, 12:47 AM

37 posts, read 93,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherdear View Post
I am actually leaving Nov 17th to be exact, so keep in touch!!
Thanks for all the information! How are the people compared to houstonians? I know people around Houston usually hold the doors open for one another, are they that courteous in NYC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City