Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 04:23 PM

483 posts, read 870,105 times

Advertisements

If you decide to move... Try checking out nice Asian neighborhood on 8th Avenue in Sunset Park area of Brooklyn. Spot appears to be safe. Whenever shopping there for bokchoy and fruit, NYPD is around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 06:04 PM

44 posts, read 154,130 times
I live in East Harlem in carver houses and I'm Asian. It's been around 7 years since I moved here and I would say it's pretty much safe, until it gets dark. All these years, my mom got mugged once at midnight. Nothing else really happened. That's just my prospective though. You will get a lot of looks for being an Asian female though.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:52 PM

447 posts, read 1,563,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenom01 View Post
You are lying. How would you know the area if you dont walk around it. Ok so shut up. To the thread started just live there and if you dont like it then move.
I said I wont walk there LATE AT NIGHT BY MYSELF.
I have walked there in groups.
I WILL NOT WALK IN A HARLEM PROJECT PERIOD.
AGAIN, TELL YOU'RE BS TO THE 20 OR SO PEOPLE MURDERED THERE EVERY YEAR.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebobelaine View Post
thx so much for all the responses!

I have been reading all posts on city data abt east Harlem, and the opinion is quite diverse, therefore I have always been confused.

When I go inspecting this room, the guy who live upstair and my now female flatmate keep insuring me is quite safe to live here, (they are all japanese) I believe them so I decided on this place.
I don't think they were lying to me , just I think maybe they have been lucky living for so many years and nth had happend on them and really think East Harlem is safe.

I think I will give here a try for a month. Then decide what do to do next,...

But Thx again for all your replys!!!
Okay, I think that you shouldn't live there. Its not safe. The gangs are constantly at war. The Latin Kings pretty much own East Harlem. The one time I walked in East Harlem AT NIGHT it was a terrible experience.
It doesn't feel safe at all IMO. Walk around there and you'll see what I mean. After one experience of walking in the projects at night I vowed to never go there again.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:13 PM

34,043 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycistheplace2 View Post
Okay, I think that you shouldn't live there. Its not safe. The gangs are constantly at war. The Latin Kings pretty much own East Harlem. The one time I walked in East Harlem AT NIGHT it was a terrible experience.
It doesn't feel safe at all IMO. Walk around there and you'll see what I mean. After one experience of walking in the projects at night I vowed to never go there again.
its fine that your giving your opinion, but dont base east harlem, the neighborhood as a whole, with your one rendezvous walking throught the projects at night....like that offers absolutely no help on the neighborhood as a whole whatsoever....

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-08-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
its fine that your giving your opinion, but dont base east harlem, the neighborhood as a whole, with your one rendezvous walking throught the projects at night....like that offers absolutely no help on the neighborhood as a whole whatsoever....
Man I walked in the day too, all the time and it wasn't that great either,
at night it was a totally different story. I assumed if she was living there she would be coming home from work in the evening.

edit:BTW it was ONE time i walked in the projects at night, however, I have walked SEVERAL times at night just going down the main streets. The experiences then were not as bad as the projects but it still sucked

Old 08-09-2010, 08:48 PM

34,043 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycistheplace2 View Post
Man I walked in the day too, all the time and it wasn't that great either,
at night it was a totally different story. I assumed if she was living there she would be coming home from work in the evening.

edit:BTW it was ONE time i walked in the projects at night, however, I have walked SEVERAL times at night just going down the main streets. The experiences then were not as bad as the projects but it still sucked
at the end of the day it is what it is....its not a neighborhood that i can suggest someone to live in when they are totally unaware of how it is to live in the hood...

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-09-2010, 09:47 PM

762 posts, read 1,749,744 times
I recently drove through East Harlem, and on a couple occasions have gone up to E. 125th St. to wait for the M60 bus to LaGuardia. Have also attended a block party up there. I don't care for it. As a white woman, I feel uneasy during the day and rather unsafe at night in East Harlem. Which is a shame because I have a certain nostalgia for the neighborhood where my ancestors lived when they first came to NYC -- but everything is run down and gross in that area -- so many projects, boarded up buildings, creepy people, and the businesses are all dollar stores and really horrible. Although now there is a Target up there I think. I hate to say this but the people walking around E. Harlem look like they want to steal my purse or shank me every time I'm up in that neighborhood. Doesn't matter if they're men or women, I get such dirty looks. So I don't like being up there or even driving through, day or night, unless it's very quick, just on the outskirts, and closer to the 90's.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:57 PM

65 posts, read 147,754 times
I have spent some time in East Harlem during the day and during the night. When your a woman you have to be careful wherever you live. I am not going to tell you to live there... and I am not going to tell you not to live there. But I will tell you in my opinion, a lot of people who talk negatively on the area are likely scared because of the large latin, and black population. No one is going to admit it, but in some of these posts... I pick up on a lot of ignorance and some racism.

My only advice is, just be careful walking alone at night and always look like you know where your going. Do this in every neighborhood.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:06 AM

615 posts, read 1,675,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebobelaine View Post
Hi, I'm a young female asian who has just moved to East Harlem (around E107st) for two days.

I have only go out to the street on daytime and it seems ok to me therefore I chose this place to live. (I'm new to New York city so I have very little sense of which suburb is gd/bd...)

But according to other people, seems like I have made a wrong choice for it's really dangerous place.

SO, my question is: Is East Harlem really that bad. And for a asian female in this area, will it make my situation worse?

I got a job that might require me to go home at 11pm.. is it safe to walk home at that time?

Thnks very much for your response!!

In any area in NYC one needs to exercise some street smarts. That is a given if you decide to live here and/or visit. You don't make yourself an easy target for no one.

Harlem is up and coming, and a lot of changes have taken place. It use to be a highly populated by PRicans (Spanish Harlem: High 90s and about 120th/ish streets from Fifth Avenue to FDR Drive) and African American (Black Harlem - more North of Spanish Harlem) area. Now, it is populated by Mexicans, PRicans, Caucasians, Asians and African Americans.

Some who have responded in a negative fashion probably NEVER lived there much less know the 411 on this neighborhood. Is it the most "exclusive" area in NYC? No, but just like Red Hook (where no one would be caught DEAD back in the days) in Bklyn and other areas in NYC it is up and coming, and many changes (good changes) are in place.

I lived there from the age of 15-early 30s, and have very fond memories. However, I do embrace other cultures/diversity and never placed myself in any situation(s) where my safety would be compromised.

Give it some time, and if you do not feel comfortable move.

Best,

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City