Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 03:58 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times

Advertisements

I think they have more money than common sense, or rather, their parents have more money than common sense.

Stern is usually always rated in the top 10 B-schools in the country though, so I couldn't say that would be a bad investment with a straight face. Top 10 is where it's at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 02:51 PM

217 posts, read 554,119 times
Just a bunch of rich kids who think they are NY'ers....

Old 08-24-2010, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 7,694 times
Yea I got into NYU but couldn't afford it, im basically a middle class person living in a poor neighborhood because manhattan is so expensive.

I went into the baruch honors program which is just as good or around NYU. I agree NYU isn't worth the money even close to it. Still I would rather go to NYU if the cost wasn't too high. Going to a CUNY makes for a less than good experience. You have to deal with crappy and imature students in the regular cuny. Also you get no respect because everyone thinks you are just a regular baruch student. You hardly feel like an honors student. The quality of the professors are ok if you pick wisely in cuny.

There is a lack of resources obviously in CUNY. This is why I am quite annoyed at going to the honors program and feel saving the money (free tuition) isn't even worth it. I would pay to go to NYU Stern though or another top business school for the remaining two years.

Im also pretty annoyed at NYU because I couldn't afford it even though I lived like I was poor in a poor environment. I feel most people don't like NYU aside from academics like good students and people of higher social class.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:39 PM

8 posts, read 17,174 times
that they should be pretty smart

Old 08-25-2010, 05:32 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,307,278 times
I never gave them that much thought.

The only thing that comes to mind when I think of nyu, are some of my childhood friends who are absolutely suffering from their student debt that they accumulated there. (Cuny alum here! whew)

Students will be students, some people try to act annoyed by some of the students they come across in the village but they forget they acted the same way/antics when they were enrolled in college.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:57 AM

1 posts, read 7,401 times
I think a big misrepresentation of NYU deals with the art students. NYU is broken down into many different schools; CAS, STERN, TISCH, etc. And all the students in each school are very different. Like any other aspect of life, you cannot sum up each student as a crazy partyier. Some students at NYU value their education and not just the label. Again, like many people in life who actually value their job and education, not just the name of where they work. Also, many students at NYU can't afford going here and they work very hard to make it work because they do value their education. I know students who are going just for the name and I know students who are going for the education. I am sure that is the case at any University.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:08 AM

7 posts, read 15,344 times
Ahem Ahem I work there students are snobby and stuck up and want everything done for them and think there the **it and why not there paying tons of money to go here. I've worked in various colleges and this one by far has the snobbiest!

Old 02-27-2011, 09:10 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,400 times
The best location for a city college campus. You have a lot of bars and the meatpacking district nightlife is a taxi cab away. You also have a nice park in the middle of campus. As far as the education that one receives from NYU, i have no idea. NYU kids are just like other college kids who believe that they are the greatest thing since swiss cheese.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:31 AM

106 posts, read 263,316 times
You guys really hate NYU, NYU is a top 30 school on every "Best college list" and stern is what like top 5-10 best business program in the nation. NYU is every american kids "dream school" I think NYU students are "gods" if i went to NYU (im applying) i'd be acting like a rich snob myself and think im a walking jesus, the NYU name opens so many doors & respect

Old 02-27-2011, 09:58 AM

80 posts, read 400,273 times
NYU is great for grad school, but their undergrad is nothing special, definitely not ivy league caliber. probably a lot of Columbia wanabes. no sympathy for NYU undergrads stuck with massive debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City