Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 03:12 PM

36 posts, read 76,996 times

Advertisements

CUNY is a solid school and excellent for people who want to get an education for the best value possible. However, if one had the money, almost anyone who is at CUNY would go to NYU in a heartbeat, unless they are in a program that CUNY specializes in (such as education). NYU is simply a better school for most programs. It is universally known across the country. CUNY is only relevant in the North East.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 03:31 PM

37 posts, read 167,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravity01 View Post
CUNY is a solid school and excellent for people who want to get an education for the best value possible. However, if one had the money, almost anyone who is at CUNY would go to NYU in a heartbeat, unless they are in a program that CUNY specializes in (such as education). NYU is simply a better school for most programs. It is universally known across the country. CUNY is only relevant in the North East.
FYI, CUNY is not "a school," it is an abbreviation that encompasses a variety of schools within the public city of new york university system - including Hunter, City College, Baruch, Queens College, La-Guardia, BMCC, and more...all of which are individual schools. Kind of like how SUNY refers to the public New York STATE universities, and California is known for it's "UC" system.

Some of the CUNY schools are better-known than others, and within those schools, some are well-known within certain fields. NYU certainly has more "glam" to the name, and will be recognized worldwide, but as most of us know, grad school is really what matters, and if I had the money, I would certainly not throw it away on an undergrad degree at an overpriced school just to say I lived in New York City for 4 years. I'd rather go to CUNY, do my best, and use the extra money to support me as I get my Masters or PhD, travel the world, or put a down payment on a house.

Truth be told, I went to school outside of NYC for more than the cost of a CUNY school, but I still think NYU is overpriced and more about bragging rights than the educational value you get there.

That said, I still don't put much thought into NYU students. There are plenty of overpriced American universities, and I guess I'm more envious that their parents think 200k is expendable than the fact that they go there. Now, if you gave me the opportunity to attend Columbia or Cornell for twice that price, that's what I'd call an investment.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:05 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,351,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravity01 View Post
Add Fordham (Lincoln Center) to the list of good choices in NYC. Fordham is building up quite a nice reputation for itself in its undergrad and grad divisions.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:17 AM

762 posts, read 1,749,529 times
To be clear, my criticism of NYU is only of the undergrad programs. I don't know anything about their graduate programs. And most of my encounters with NYU students have been with those enrolled in arts degrees. I mean, you can't keep boasting about going to the same school as Scorcese did wa-a-a-ay back in the sixties (as his second choice after not getting into Fordham), or Oliver Stone (who graduated in 1971), as if it means anything now -- especially when it has been acknowledged by people I know in the Motion Picture Editors Guild that a humble community college in the CUNY system has the best state-of-the-art equipment on the East Coast, while NYU is "eh." Several academicians I am acquainted with have also told me how poor the facilities are at NYU in comparison to others, but NYU students think that the name is so prestigious that that's enough. It's those insufferable NYU students, who lord it over people that they go there, that I can't stand - because the school has gone, and continues to go, downhill and ultimately they are really only boasting about the size of their tuition bill.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:36 AM

244 posts, read 567,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
To be clear, my criticism of NYU is only of the undergrad programs. I don't know anything about their graduate programs. And most of my encounters with NYU students have been with those enrolled in arts degrees. I mean, you can't keep boasting about going to the same school as Scorcese did wa-a-a-ay back in the sixties (as his second choice after not getting into Fordham), or Oliver Stone (who graduated in 1971), as if it means anything now -- especially when it has been acknowledged by people I know in the Motion Picture Editors Guild that a humble community college in the CUNY system has the best state-of-the-art equipment on the East Coast, while NYU is "eh." Several academicians I am acquainted with have also told me how poor the facilities are at NYU in comparison to others, but NYU students think that the name is so prestigious that that's enough. It's those insufferable NYU students, who lord it over people that they go there, that I can't stand - because the school has gone, and continues to go, downhill and ultimately they are really only boasting about the size of their tuition bill.
You forgot Woody Allen, Lady Gaga, Whoopie Goldberg, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Angelina Jolie, Martin Scorsesse, Marisa Tomei, Marcia Gay Harden, Alec Baldwin, Felicity Huffman, Debra Messing, Andy Samberg, Jeffrey Wright, Billy Crystal, Anne Hathaway, Jeffrey Katzenberg, Jerry O'Connell, Adam Sandler, etc.....

Old 08-12-2010, 09:24 AM

37 posts, read 93,449 times
Default Fact beats Opinion any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC90 View Post
You forgot Woody Allen, Lady Gaga, Whoopie Goldberg, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Angelina Jolie, Martin Scorsesse, Marisa Tomei, Marcia Gay Harden, Alec Baldwin, Felicity Huffman, Debra Messing, Andy Samberg, Jeffrey Wright, Billy Crystal, Anne Hathaway, Jeffrey Katzenberg, Jerry O'Connell, Adam Sandler, etc.....
Ha-ha True.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:48 AM

177 posts, read 416,159 times
LET FREEDOM RING / DISTINGUISHED CUNY ALUMNI

Point being,that if you apply yourself,you can get a great education,and yes,whether some want to hear it or not,a comparable education,minus $160,000 minimum tuition bill at the end of it. Just a tip from my perspective. Take it or leave it.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:53 PM

467 posts, read 1,865,762 times
The other thing I'm proud of about going to Hunter is that I graduated Magna *** Laude, my entire education including books cost about $20,000, and if I went to NYU I wouldn't be singing the same tune.

Haha I love that a Latin-named honor gets starred. :-P

Old 08-13-2010, 12:03 PM

295 posts, read 1,505,002 times
Default nyu

NYU has become MUCH more competitive recently and can now ask for better candidates without giving away financial incentives.

CUNY and SUNY schools are very strong as well and also have become more competitive (I believe more people are going to college now than 10 years ago).

I think the major deciding point lies within the college student & how he/she ranks amongst their classmates. If you are #1 and have great testing scores, you will place in a good grad school (if that is your career path). If not, you also have to rely upon your school's ranking... no matter how well you were taught. If you don't need to go to a very competitive grad school: paying top dollar for your tuition doesn't make sense.

As for what New Yorkers think about NYU students? I don't think they dwell on it. Most college students that are having tuition and home paid for by parents are living an unrealistic existence.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:58 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,790,935 times
I think it's great that they're smart enough to see the importance of a college education, regardless of what college they attend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City