Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 01:51 AM

3 posts, read 9,170 times

Advertisements

I agree with Nala. They're pseudo-intellectual, pretentious and arrogant. Many of them are not from NY. It's their first time in the big city and their first time away from home. It's a big change from a one-horse town. That being said, there is an overwhelming number of snobby kids that attend NYU. This isn’t the case with most other schools in the area. Take Columbia, for instance. These kids know that they’re smart, so they don’t feel compelled to prove their intellectual acumen with every random person they encounter on their travels. It is my experience that NYU kids have something to prove. I imagine they’re trying to compensate for their own sense of inadequacy and insecurity, but they do so at the expense of others. I dated an NYU boy for most of his college years. In my time, I meet a handful of winner and watched him grow from small town boy to a condescending ego-manic. That’s the way it happens. They get together with all these “brilliant” people and sneer at everyone else. In time, the transition takes place and they revert to utter snobbery. Of course, like one of the posts mentioned, most of them will eventually grow out of it once reality hits: bills, bosses, and people that aren’t impressed with superficiality, self-righteousness, and haughty remarks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 05:10 AM

83 posts, read 99,500 times
Default not highly

1) Most seem to come from Long Island.

2) For a private school, it does not rank high on the US News & World Report rankings.

3) The students think they are cool, but they are just desperate wanna-bees.

4) NYU is every upper middle class kid's safety school.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:11 PM

They're not all from Long Island. Some of them are from Long Island, but I'd say most of them come from the Midwest, South or Upstate New York, and rarely from NYC. That was something that was used to mock people, ignorantly. There's nothing like hearing a bunch of simplistic judgment claims from a group of people that prides themselves in supposed open-mindedness. People from Long Island and New Jersey were the subject of sweeping generalizations, equating all of them to reality television, blowbacks, orange spray-on tans, and ignorance. This, of course, was done at fine wine and imported cheese parties, where children play grown up, sitting in their paid-for by Mom and Dad apartments, adopting a Bohemian style of dress, articulating the plight of the unfortunate, social change, protests, and literary merit (just to name a few), while basking in delight over their mutually “brilliant” discourse and insightful commentary. Get real! I came to realize that these gatherings were premised on a reoccuring theme: kids getting together and repeating their professor’s thoughts on various topics, while enjoying the fruits of their privileged lives. It’s a scornful plagiarism. I can say, wholeheartedly, that I hated attending these “social” gatherings, and distanced myself from them, accordingly. Snobbery and pretention are not qualities to be admired. It’s something to be viewed with contempt.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:22 PM

That being said, I do realize that my argument defeats my point, but this has been my experience. I’m positive that there are some fantastic young men and women that attend NYU, but my experience tells me that the majority are immature, superficial, pompous and showy. For any of you that do not fit that description, I sincerely apologize for my harsh critique, sweeping generalizations, and for your unfortunate tenure with such dreadful individuals, which if you go to NYU, you'd likely sympathize with and substantiate.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:43 AM

2 posts, read 7,026 times
Annoying. But not as annoying as New School students.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:47 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,580,539 times
I don't think of them much.

I also don't think it's the best school out there. Don't get me wrong, it is a great education and a powerful name but nothing to be pretentious over. That being said, I don't interact with enough of them to have a strong opinion. We've had some NYU interns and new hires, and they're no different than anyone else usually.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:16 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,274 times
I'd rather attend school with a snob than Jenny from the Block.

As with everything else in life, it is worth working a little harder, paying a little more, taking out a bit more in loans, living in a smaller house, cutting back in other areas, and essentially doing what you can to avoid having to deal with a certain riff raff element that inhabit our society.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:22 PM

650 posts, read 1,812,186 times
Apparently I am now an NYU Alumni even though I didn't go to NYU, since they bought out my former engineering university.

NYU students sure love their college, you see them wearing the sweatshirts everywhere. I don't really have an opinion about them other than hoping they made the right decision with such an expensive college. Attending NYU is definitely a financial decision students should take very seriously. Not just go because it's popular. That could be a 200k mistake.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:52 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,623 times
The thing that is cool about nyu is the campus location. They have that little spot on washington square.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:55 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
I went to NYU to do a Master's degree. I don't remember anyone having any negative opinions about the graduate students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City