Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 07:22 AM

22 posts, read 85,258 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am looking at a gorgeous apartment in BK, on 21st between 3rd and 4th. Near the Prospect R line.

Does anyone know anything about the neighborhood? Not that I have a reason to worry. Just want to be sure.

Thank you.
Julie

Here is the google map:
loc: 21st Brooklyn NY US - Google Maps

Last edited by cruisethe7seas; 08-16-2010 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: Added the map location
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 03:43 PM

242 posts, read 1,184,889 times
I don't know about the area, but I do know that the Gowanus Canal was recently declared a superfund site. I wouldn't want to be right on it right now from a health standpoint.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:32 PM

588 posts, read 1,320,954 times
That sounds really close to the BQE and kind of in no man's land... if you're looking at a 'gorgeous apartment' and it's not very expensive, it's probably too good to be true and there's a catch. In this case, the catch is the location.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:57 PM

979 posts, read 4,458,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knh39 View Post
I don't know about the area, but I do know that the Gowanus Canal was recently declared a superfund site. I wouldn't want to be right on it right now from a health standpoint.
That's absurd. It's not even near the canal. Not to mention there are plenty of high priced areas closer, such as Carroll Gardens and Boerum Hill. The neighborhood is a little more blue collar and industrial but not particularly dangerous. I would judge each block individually and it is being gentrified as we speak(or type).

Old 08-16-2010, 08:01 PM

116 posts, read 354,030 times
I actually kind of like those blocks that head up onto the BQE.. like Modsquad said, its rough and industrial but there is sort of an odd peacefulness to the sporadic residential areas that are between all the gentrified neighborhoods. I also agree that you should judge each block individually.

My main concern, would be the amount of vehicular traffic through the area, and the BQE/Gowanus expressway. I lived in apt, that was basically just a shade shy of being under the BQE for a few years and it seemed nothing I did could keep the highway dust out, My windowsills would turn black in a matter of days and I didn't dare open the windows because of the amount of exhaust. Go see for yoyrself, you may be far enough away, but too close and its a real concern.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:04 PM

467 posts, read 1,866,677 times
Yep, I live nearby. Personally, I looked at an apartment between 3rd and 4th aves on 16th street, and it wasn't the perfect apartment so I wasn't interested, but I didn't like being closer to 3rd than 4th. 4th is great and there's lots of stuff on it, but if it's closer to 3rd, I'd weigh my options. Is it very affordable? Does it have lots of light? Is it really, really gorgeous and newly renovated or well maintained? There's nothing wrong with the neighborhood, I love it, but yeah 3rd ave is very industrial. I look forward to hearing about if you take it or not!

Old 08-16-2010, 08:07 PM

242 posts, read 1,184,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modsquad81 View Post
That's absurd. It's not even near the canal. Not to mention there are plenty of high priced areas closer, such as Carroll Gardens and Boerum Hill. The neighborhood is a little more blue collar and industrial but not particularly dangerous. I would judge each block individually and it is being gentrified as we speak(or type).
Yes it is! On the map that the original poster put up at least. Its within 3 blocks of the start of the canal. Idk, not a deal breaker for some. That was just my personal opinion that I wouldn't want to move to an area immediately adjacent to a superfund site. Plus I know that there are higher priced areas closer- I wouldn't move to those areas right now either. Not until they get it at least closer to being cleaned up. Who knows that health effects the chemicals and pollution in the canal will have a few decades from now. Perhaps none- again, just my personal take on it .

Old 08-16-2010, 08:20 PM

22 posts, read 85,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax12479 View Post
That sounds really close to the BQE and kind of in no man's land... if you're looking at a 'gorgeous apartment' and it's not very expensive, it's probably too good to be true and there's a catch. In this case, the catch is the location.
Its not cheap (I don't think), actually at the very top of my budget at about $1000. Also being right by the train is a huge plus for my work.

Another reason I like it is because of the roof deck for my dog (though with exhaust from the BQE I wonder now how much we'll get to use it lol) and the fact that it is s sublet with possibility to extend, which I like.

I'm so torn... I'll be in the city in 3 weeks to see places myself. You have all been very helpful though, with great questions to ask the landlord!!

Any more please bring em on!

Old 08-16-2010, 08:31 PM

423 posts, read 1,281,240 times
It's an alright area, not aesthetically pleasing but not too many worries about crime or any of that. I know there's a decent amount of polish immigrants around that area as well as mexican immigrants. I live in neighboring sunset park so I've been around 21st a lot.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:13 PM

467 posts, read 1,866,677 times
$1000 for how big of a place? Studio, 1 or 2br? If you can get a roommate, that sounds like an amazing deal. But personally I wouldn't pay $1000 for my portion of the rent anymore unless I really wanted or needed to live alone. Also, I'd use the roof deck. It's really not bad at all. Do invest in some air purifiers. We have 2 of them. Not because of the BQE, just because, and they're great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City