Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2010, 10:43 AM

27,625 posts, read 21,016,545 times

Advertisements

Has anybody else noticed this? Am I the only one that has realized that Brooklyn has had a scant amount of rain since June? I am admittedly not a summer lover, but even the sun worshippers have to admit that a good cleansing rain is not only refreshing during the dog days, but it helps to temporarily cleanse these filthy streets, not to mention, waters the sparse amount of greenery here. I find it so annoying when I actually overhear people say "We are lucky that it hasn't rained"...DUH!!! Are these people insane or stupid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 06:06 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,468,621 times
There's been rain in my neighborhood!

I think you're absolutely right about the cleansing effects of rain. But from a practical standpoint, the only place in this part of the country where I want to hear about lots of rain is the watershed. I can live without rain in Brooklyn if necessary...but I would like water in those reservoirs!

Old 08-08-2010, 08:58 AM

11,327 posts, read 20,243,874 times
Um it's not only Brooklyn...

The NYC Metro down through Virginia was in a Moderate Drought, it has rained 1-3 times since mid-July though.

Most of the grass isn't even White/Brown/Yellow anymore, the trees aren't Brown anymore either.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:28 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,040,578 times
As of August 6th the New York City Water Supply System Reservoirs are at 80.1% capacity, normal is 88.7%.

Average precipitation in inches:

Actual Historical

June 3.22 4.10

July 3.52 4.16

August 0.28 3.98

Old 08-08-2010, 10:40 PM

916 posts, read 2,237,347 times
I wish we have heavy rain once a week to clear the smell of
dog pee off the street. It's just sickening there are dog poops
and dog pee every where you walk.

We have way too many dogs in Brooklyn, maybe half of the dog owners
don't pick up their dog's poops, and even for those nice dog owners,
they can't pick up the dog pee. I used to like dogs when there are
not as many around, now I'm starting to dislike dogs because of the
smell and poops. People shouldn't own dogs if they don't want to
take care of them.

And old people usually don't like rain because of arthritis, very painful
for them during the rainy days. Flooding and roof leaking also not so nice
experience.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:08 PM

18,359 posts, read 31,432,361 times
good, because last June it rained 26 days out of 30.

we deserve this sunny weather, there hasn't been a summer like this since I used to play with my dinosaurs in the backyard.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:38 PM

615 posts, read 1,671,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Has anybody else noticed this? Am I the only one that has realized that Brooklyn has had a scant amount of rain since June? I am admittedly not a summer lover, but even the sun worshippers have to admit that a good cleansing rain is not only refreshing during the dog days, but it helps to temporarily cleanse these filthy streets, not to mention, waters the sparse amount of greenery here. I find it so annoying when I actually overhear people say "We are lucky that it hasn't rained"...DUH!!! Are these people insane or stupid?

Well considering we've had Summers that all it did was rain, I welcome the sunny/hot days!

I do understand about the filth and such need to be washed away.......

Old 08-17-2010, 07:26 AM

27,625 posts, read 21,016,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
As of August 6th the New York City Water Supply System Reservoirs are at 80.1% capacity, normal is 88.7%.

Average precipitation in inches:

Actual Historical

June 3.22 4.10

July 3.52 4.16

August 0.28 3.98
I was not referring to the reservoirs, which BTW are not in Brooklyn. Yes, the areas where the reservoirs are located have obviously received a healthy amount of rain (if your numbers are accurate). I am actually referring to the cleansing effect of a good periodic downpour, both for the steets, trees and the individuals that appreciate a rainy day. Constant sunshine heat and humidity in THE MOST PAVED OVER CITY IN THE UNITED STATES, not to mention filthy, can seem overwhelmingly oppressive and intrusive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: