Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2010, 10:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,379 times

Advertisements

Any sugguestions on areas to live close to the water? Include cost range, transpo and day/nightlife. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 11:27 AM

447 posts, read 1,563,818 times
We need a neighborhood.
Greenpoint,Williamsburg?
There are several Brooklyn neighborhoods next to the East River.
You gotta be specific.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:30 PM

177 posts, read 416,159 times
I'm going to suggest my hometown Bay Ridge. The thing about Bay Ridge that makes it an outstanding Brooklyn location if being by the water is your top criteria,is Shore Rd. The bicycle/walking/jogging path all along the water,from 69th street out to just about Coney Island,is so great.
I moved from there several months ago and miss that most of all. It's a beautiful,safe way to walk a straight couple of miles without traffic lights,and it's all along the water (not beach,it's paved,still,a really,really nice walk). Turn your ipod or walkman on and go!
(I've actually gotten out of shape since leaving that almost daily exercise.)

Old 08-09-2010, 11:52 PM

177 posts, read 416,159 times
Rent in Bay Ridge often depends on how close to the water you are actually.
A 1 bedroom just off 3rd avenue could rent for $1000 to 1100.
Same kind of apt. on Colonial Rd. could be $1300 to 1400.
Along Shore Rd.,that jumps to $1400 to 1600. and up.

There's a decent night life out in Bay Ridge for just going out and enjoying music. It's not like going out in Manhattan tho',in that Manhattan has shows,more diverse club options,like jazz,or a comedy club for ex. Bay Ridge is more of a specific neighborhood club scene in my opinion.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:42 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfreesia View Post
I'm going to suggest my hometown Bay Ridge. The thing about Bay Ridge that makes it an outstanding Brooklyn location if being by the water is your top criteria,is Shore Rd. The bicycle/walking/jogging path all along the water,from 69th street out to just about Coney Island,is so great.
I moved from there several months ago and miss that most of all. It's a beautiful,safe way to walk a straight couple of miles without traffic lights,and it's all along the water (not beach,it's paved,still,a really,really nice walk). Turn your ipod or walkman on and go!

I agree, we bicycle from the Bay Parkway all the way down to the 69th Street Pier, it is fun. We take Shore road back till VZ....great views and a really good leg workout.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:30 AM

155 posts, read 445,423 times
Columbia Waterfront District also known as Carroll Gardens/Cobble Hill West in brokerspeak. The sliver of South Brooklyn north of Red Hook that's west of the BQE. A few blocks from Smith Street and Court Street, and close to gentrifying Red Hook. Much better deals than East of the BQE. You're right on the river with a gorgeous view of Lower Manhattan. It's a cool neighborhood in it's own right, kind of crafty and hipsterish without being obnoxious, and none of the yuppies that grow denser as you move East toward Park Slope. Highly recommended.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:04 AM

615 posts, read 1,675,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfreesia View Post
^^^I concur!!! Love it, and you don't have to go into the city if you want a nice meal. However, if you do want to go into the city by car 15mins!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: