Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 04:53 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
The neighborhoods serviced by limited lines (i.e., the L and G) are bad examples. In Jackson Heights, Queens you have the option of the 7, E, F, R, M, Q32 bus to Manhattan and Q47 or Q33 to LGA. Two stops on the 7 train to Woodside and you can catch the LIRR.

I just think people are misinformed. There are plenty of places in Brooklyn and Queens that have better transportation options than some parts of Manhattan.
Very true, Hell's Kitchen and LES/Alphabet City both don't have the best train services. You gotta walk blocks to get to a station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 05:09 PM

447 posts, read 1,564,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
LMAO This shows that there is at least one poster that has not been to Harlem lately.

Article from yesterdays NYT which gives a very good update on Harlem living. It tells of the challenges currently facing Harlem familiea.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/10/ny...1&ref=nyregion
So Harlem is a good neighborhood now?

Old 08-10-2010, 06:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,994 times
another shooting today tueday august 10 on 7th ave and 148th street. The shooter is still in his apartment with is mom. The guy is in the hospital. lots of police officers

Old 08-10-2010, 06:39 PM

447 posts, read 1,564,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlemgirl2010 View Post
another shooting today tueday august 10 on 7th ave and 148th street. The shooter is still in his apartment with is mom. The guy is in the hospital. lots of police officers
So did he die?

Old 08-10-2010, 07:03 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycistheplace2 View Post
My NY viewpoint is old school. My NYC is 5 boros and they are all great. We all have our favorite(s). Each boro has it's wealthy, middle and poor neighborhoods. Most overlap at certain points.

I would like for each boro to always have that mixture. Being poor in itself is not a crime.

At the present time Harlem is that mixture. There are several starbucks, but there are still some neighborhood places, to get an excellent regular coffee too.

There are young White stay at home mothers in the park, in the mornings, with young children. There may be other White children in the park with nannies. There may also be in the same park a regular middle class working moms or dads there also. There may also be poor parents with their children also in the same park.

Unfortunately the scales are tipping to the extremes of seeing the poor parents and the rich parents.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:50 AM

142 posts, read 418,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycistheplace2 View Post

I just moved to Harlem and so far it's very spotty. The closer West and away from Lenox the better. Also stay under 135th Street.

There are many working class black folk, like myself, just trying to live life. So there are many quiet areas. There are some places that are bad...you just have to figure it out like any other neighborhood.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:49 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noladarling View Post
I just moved to Harlem and so far it's very spotty. The closer West and away from Lenox the better. Also stay under 135th Street.

There are many working class black folk, like myself, just trying to live life. So there are many quiet areas. There are some places that are bad...you just have to figure it out like any other neighborhood.
The lower part of central Harlem has more crime than the upper part.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:24 PM

508 posts, read 2,119,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
The neighborhoods serviced by limited lines (i.e., the L and G) are bad examples. In Jackson Heights, Queens you have the option of the 7, E, F, R, M, Q32 bus to Manhattan and Q47 or Q33 to LGA. Two stops on the 7 train to Woodside and you can catch the LIRR.

I just think people are misinformed. There are plenty of places in Brooklyn and Queens that have better transportation options than some parts of Manhattan.
I used the L train line as just ONE example, not the ONLY example. The 7 train line has always had problems. Lots of delays, stop and start service and it covers many different neighborhoods. The R and M train, are also shoddy when it comes to train service and especially on weekends.

Jackson Heights and Woodside Queens are pretty good areas but in cost are about the same as Harlem. A studio-one bed in those areas run about $1500 per month. That is not any more affordable than Harlem and you can get multiple train and bus lines that service all of Manhattan.

It's just a matter of what a person is looking for. As a Manhattan person, I want more convenience, cultural attractions, parks and transportation. Many people who prefer Queens, BK and parts of the BX, want more quiet, parks and can deal with less convenience and transportation. That isn't for every one.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:25 PM

508 posts, read 2,119,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlemgirl2010 View Post
148th and 7th has always been a spotty area. Now there is a big precinct over there, but there are a lot of pimps and prostitutes living in apartments over there.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:32 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalove View Post
Many people who prefer Queens, BK and parts of the BX, want more quiet, parks and can deal with less convenience and transportation.
I would throw in safety there, too. The neighborhoods you mentioned in Queens are mainly safe, family-oriented areas.

If someone has $1500 to spend on a one bedroom and has safety as a concern and wants to be 3 subway stops from midtown, I can see them choosing Jackson Heights over Harlem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City