Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 10:53 PM

5 posts, read 9,772 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am married and myself and my 4 year old live with my parents in their home in Washington State. My husband is receiving VA benefits and lives with his family in New York. We (husband and I)are both financially struggling but would like for me and daughter move to New York, to an apartment-suited for myself, my child and husband. I am very worried that we cannot do it. My parents are planning to move to Central America in 6 months and i do not know what to do or where to start. Can i please get some advice?

feelinghopeless....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 09:24 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
You need to tell people what you are able to afford to pay for rent.
Also I suggest you post your question on the NYC forum (rather than this one which is the NY State forum) if you are interested in moving to Queens as it is part of NYC.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:17 PM

oh ok thanks..

Old 08-09-2010, 08:31 PM

442 posts, read 1,296,611 times
sunnyside is a nice neighborhood and its fairly cheap . dont get disheartened things always look better eventually

Old 08-10-2010, 11:59 AM

thanks streetballer

Old 08-10-2010, 12:12 PM

Unhappy planning to move to Queens, NY need advice on multiple issues...

Hello,

I am married and myself and my 4 year old live with my parents in their home in Washington State. My husband is receiving VA benefits and lives with his family in New York. We (husband and I)are both financially struggling but would like for me and daughter move to New York, to an apartment-suited for myself, my child and husband. I am very worried that we cannot do it. My parents are planning to move to Central America in 6 months and i do not know what to do or where to start. I have been looking online for jobs in NY and it's been difficult. I have a bachelor's degree and have started my master's; i have been a family support worker, a youth counselor and also done administrative work.

In washington state when i use to live in a apartment (2 bedroom) i payed about $875 p/month-i would like to stay in that range when i move to NY but will say max is $1500 a month.
Also i need to find a preschool that is suited for her age (small classroom preferably) and that has after and before care on site or perhaps a local affordable daycare that is nearby. I receive child support from biological father and that helps a bit for her school tuition.

Any advice would be most helpful.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:34 PM

615 posts, read 1,675,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigApple1116 View Post
Hello,

I am married and myself and my 4 year old live with my parents in their home in Washington State. My husband is receiving VA benefits and lives with his family in New York. We (husband and I)are both financially struggling but would like for me and daughter move to New York, to an apartment-suited for myself, my child and husband. I am very worried that we cannot do it. My parents are planning to move to Central America in 6 months and i do not know what to do or where to start. I have been looking online for jobs in NY and it's been difficult. I have a bachelor's degree and have started my master's; i have been a family support worker, a youth counselor and also done administrative work.

In washington state when i use to live in a apartment (2 bedroom) i payed about $875 p/month-i would like to stay in that range when i move to NY but will say max is $1500 a month.
Also i need to find a preschool that is suited for her age (small classroom preferably) and that has after and before care on site or perhaps a local affordable daycare that is nearby. I receive child support from biological father and that helps a bit for her school tuition.

Any advice would be most helpful.

I would highly recommend you making calls to the VA Administration for housing assistance (you will not find a 2 bdrm in the 800.00s in a good neighborhood - NYC is $$$$ for renting) and such. Veterans; to my knowledge are afforded many oppties/assistance due to their services to our Country! Check out the website I referenced below, and all the best!

Benefits - Veterans Benefits Administration Home

For employment opties:

http://www.socialservice.com/
www.careerbuilder.com
www.monster.com
www.indeed.com
www.simplyhired.com
www.hotjobs.com
NYtimes is also a great resource for job search.

You'll be fine, but it is going to take a lot of "leg work"/research!

Last edited by SummerBabe; 08-10-2010 at 12:43 PM..

Old 08-10-2010, 02:50 PM

177 posts, read 416,159 times
Sunnyside is a nice suggestion. I know 2 couples who've lived there for years straight from Ireland and are happy there.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:10 PM

37 posts, read 167,150 times
Sunnyside is nice, pretty quiet, lots of families and various ethnic groups. But it's not *that* cheap. Woodside is a little bit more gritty, but cheaper, and only a few more train stations away. You could continue on further into Queens...there are pockets of various ethnic groups in certain areas, if you prefer something like that...and, in general, the further from Manhattan, the cheaper it'll be. But you have to have a plan if you come here. NYC is not cheap living. What do you intend to do to find a job to pay for your child, your rent, your transportation costs? Will you be able to afford to furnish the apartment and put down a deposit? Living in your own place is a MAJOR jump in expenses from living with your parents, and it's a long journey from Washington State to NYC. You have a 4 year old daughter, so please try to plan carefully. Do you work right now? If not, use the next 6 months to build up some kind of up-to-date resume and/or qualifications. NY is competitive for even the lowest-tier jobs, so every bit will help. We could provide better advice with more info.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:25 PM

thanks..
yes, i do plan to work to pay for the expenses. I have an up to date resume and i have been a youth counselor for 2+ years and also have been a family support worker. I am looking for some work right now but have been unable to fina any good leads.
The non profit org i worked for closed down and therefore i was let go. So im kinda in a bind....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City