Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 07:27 PM

34,012 posts, read 47,240,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Back to bulldozing public housing:

I know the title of the thread is specific to Manhattan, but now that we are talking about the Rockaways, here is something I have heard. The powers that be would like to get rid of all or at least some of the projects there and are using the evictions of anyone who sells drugs or lets someone who sells drugs live with them from the projects and are not replacing the tenants who get evicted (or tenants who move out on their own) and there are more and more of what they call "dark apartments" in project buildings in the Rockaways. Supposedly there is/was a plan to empty some of the buildings and consolidate tenants into other buildings and knock down the empty buildings for development. I think this plan started before the current economic meltdown when they decided beachfront property is too valuable to have projects on. I didn't know why they put projects on the ocean in the first place. It could have been a plan that getting the poor out of the inner city into the "fresh air" would help. Or the Rockaways were underpopulated at that time and just had a lot of space. Or that developers and land owners in the area "cornered the market" on housing projects and made a fortune at the time. Is there any other place than New York that has prime waterfront/beachfront property with projects?
the reason why they put projects in the rockaways?
1. the infrastructure was crumbling in the rockaways in the 1950. mostly bungalows without proper utilities. fires used to break out almost nightly on the peninsula cause they were so close together. all the projects in the rockaways are built on former slum neighborhods.
2. nimbyism - most residents in queens vetoed projects in their neighborhood, so they got dumped in the rockaways.

there is another waterfornt neighborhood in nyc that has plenty of projects - coney island.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Boston has one.It was called Columbia Point and it became one of the most horrendous housing projects in the country. 50 Acres right on the ocean ,10 minutes from the center of the city! When I was growing up it was definitely the scariest,most crime ridden place in the city.In 1984 it was like a lawless separate city and they had to hand it over to private developers who gradually bulldozed it and turned it into a semi public mixed income apartment complex called Harbor Point.Sort of an equivalent of an NYCHPD development.
Today it is viewed as a successful model of public housing revitalization.
When you read how they started enforcing rules and getting rid of problem tenants it sounds just like what you are describing in Rockaway.

A Decent Place to Live: From Columbia Point to Harbor Point : Records, 1951-2000 | Joseph P. Healey Library

Some cool "before" and "after":
http://www.designobserver.com/media/...ject_t_204.pdf
was this near old colony? i have done my research on south boston...

Old 08-14-2010, 04:02 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,351,521 times
Some other waterfront neighborhoods in nyc with projects
Bronx - Throggs Neck Houses
Brooklyn - Red Hook Houses
Queens - Queensbridge Houses
Staten Island - South Beach Houses

If you want to read more on the destruction of housing projects, look into what happened in Chicago.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:09 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
was this near old colony? i have done my research on south boston...
Pretty close but Columbia Point was actually in Dorchester ,while Old Colony is in Southie.They are just a mile or so from each other though.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:27 AM

4,413 posts, read 5,145,849 times
I'm late to the party, but anyway..

Not ALL the projects should go, just the one's that would make alot of money for NYCHA.

Vladech
Baruch
Wald
Riis
Whitman
Ingersoll
Wyckoff Gardens
Red Hook East
Campos Plaza
Berry Street
Williams Plaza
Douglas
Carver
East River
Isaacs
Holmes Tower
King Towers
Manhattanville
Lincoln
Rangel
Polo Grounds
High Bridge Gardens
Marble Hill
Castle Hill
Bay View
Breukelen
Pink
Albany
Tompkins
Gompers
Meltzer Tower
Howard
Kingsborough
Roosevelt
Farragut
Carrey Gardens
Fulton

Can you imagine how much money for all these?
Send them off with section 8 vouchers along with $25,000 per family
in dedicated redevelopment funds for the dying industrial towns or others, that might take them.
Newark
Altoona
Youngstown
Detroit
East St. Louis
Louisville
Dayton
Little Rock
Tulsa
Montgomery, AL
Pensacola
San Antonio
Biloxi
Omaha
Boise
Lubbock
Pueblo
Milwaukee
Eau Claire

Chicago, Philadelphia and Baltimore have alot of housing projects to sell and could take advantage of this kind of program as well.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:50 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
same time they start bulldozing your block down i guess.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
I'm late to the party, but anyway..

Not ALL the projects should go, just the one's that would make alot of money for NYCHA.

Vladech
Baruch
Wald
Riis
Whitman
Ingersoll
Wyckoff Gardens
Red Hook East
Campos Plaza
Berry Street
Williams Plaza
Douglas
Carver
East River
Isaacs
Holmes Tower
King Towers
Manhattanville
Lincoln
Rangel
Polo Grounds
High Bridge Gardens
Marble Hill
Castle Hill
Bay View
Breukelen
Pink
Albany
Tompkins
Gompers
Meltzer Tower
Howard
Kingsborough
Roosevelt
Farragut
Carrey Gardens
Fulton

Can you imagine how much money for all these?
Send them off with section 8 vouchers along with $25,000 per family
in dedicated redevelopment funds for the dying industrial towns or others, that might take them.
Newark
Altoona
Youngstown
Detroit
East St. Louis
Louisville
Dayton
Little Rock
Tulsa
Montgomery, AL
Pensacola
San Antonio
Biloxi
Omaha
Boise
Lubbock
Pueblo
Milwaukee
Eau Claire

Chicago, Philadelphia and Baltimore have alot of housing projects to sell and could take advantage of this kind of program as well.
Why would Pink Houses make NYCHA a lot of money? It's already in a pretty bad neighborhood, and Cypress Hill Houses is a few blocks away, yet you didn't mention that one.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:59 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,246,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycistheplace2 View Post
I looked up what they are doing just now.
They are rezoning 125th street to be "important regional business district and bolster its historic role as an arts, entertainment and retail corridor."
In other words a new times square or another very important artery in Manhattan. On the bright side they will "preserve the brownstone residences". Who knows, Sylvia's might close down and open uo a new shop in Bushwick.
nice

Old 10-11-2012, 06:07 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
I guess this the notion of this whole thread is NYC following Chicago's lead in demolishing "downtown" public housing, privitizing the land and opening it to development.

Not going to happen in Manhattan, for a variety of reasons, the greatest of which is that NYC is NOT Chicago.

Travel a bit and you will find that the worst NYCHA project is FAR better maintained, and the residents have a better quality of life than EVERY public housing project through out the country!

Locally built and maintained public housing EVERYWHERE in the USA is absolutely atrocious! No matter where I went I was shocked!

(I did note that in some cases, Section 8/subsidized housing was attractive than NYC.)

Focusing on Chicago, those public housing complexes, Cabrini Green, etc, were expontentially worst than the worst of public housing anywhere in Manhattan. Public housing found in the most desireable of Manhattan neighborhoods from Chelsea to the UWS, are luxurious compared to a place such as Cabrini Green.

So, there really isn't any comparative for NYC, Manhattan.

Not only is there NO driving need other than the middle class sensibilities of Transplants and other 'native' aholes (note the rich don't whine about the projects!), the 'politics' w/b absolutely IMPOSSIBLE!

These is NO political compromise, nor acceptable compensation for public housing residents, which c/b agreed upon.

For example, where would the residents go, and what quality of housing would they be given? What incentive c/b offered that would incent residents to voluntarily vacate? They surely couldn't be 'forced'.

WHAT would satisfy the Leftist crazies (such as Al Sharpton and cos.) who would rise up to defend the poor down trodden public housing residents (can anyone spell ACLU?!)??

Whatever might be proposed and satisfactory will be perceived rightly or wrongly as a bonanza for those "lazy undeserving welfare cheats" living in public housing. Conservative NYC, the middle class, wouldn't go for any 'bonanaza' of cash and/or great quality housing, while they continue to struggle in NYC with no 'bonanza' for the middle class.

The political fight would tear the city apart, fire up race conflicts, pitTransplants/Gentrifiers vs the Native middle class, developers and corrupt politicians vs the people.

Also, who will pay for it all? Again, where will the residents go? NIMBY attitudes will surface strongly.

Any Mayor behind such an effort would be run out of office.

Btw, anyone watch "Boss" on cable? This subject is precisely what is occurring on that show!

Old 10-11-2012, 09:14 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,790,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Cabrini Green, etc, were expontentially worst than the worst of public housing anywhere in Manhattan. Public housing found in the most desireable of Manhattan neighborhoods from Chelsea to the UWS, are luxurious compared to a place such as Cabrini Green.
Cabrini Green was extremely bad. It got a lot of attention because it was so close to prime property including the gold coast. But....Cabrini Green was nothing compared to the huge Robert Taylor complex on the south side and there were a few others that were located on the west side that were notorious as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City