Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-11-2012, 10:49 PM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD / NY
781 posts, read 1,199,200 times
Reputation: 434

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
I'm late to the party, but anyway..

Not ALL the projects should go, just the one's that would make alot of money for NYCHA.

Can you imagine how much money for all these?
Send them off with section 8 vouchers along with $25,000 per family
in dedicated redevelopment funds for the dying industrial towns or others, that might take them.
Newark
Altoona
Youngstown
Detroit
East St. Louis
Louisville
Dayton
Little Rock
Tulsa
Montgomery, AL
Pensacola
San Antonio
Biloxi
Omaha
Boise
Lubbock
Pueblo
Milwaukee
Eau Claire

Chicago, Philadelphia and Baltimore have alot of housing projects to sell and could take advantage of this kind of program as well.
Better yet, just ship them off to Siberia, much more practical, out of sight.

Further, exactly how would Baltimore profit from selling a portion of their public housing stock? Honestly, skip the 25K and voucher incentive down here, we could just divvy up the indigent and throw them into one of the 50,000 uninhabitable vacant homes across the city. Beggars can't be choosers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-12-2012, 05:59 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
25,424 posts, read 37,199,557 times
Reputation: 12833
The NYCHA housing will be in Manhattan long after all of us are dead and buried.
Probably the glass towers of dowtown will fall to the wrecking ball first.

"Destroy the homes of the poor," "throw the poor into a park," "sell all the buildings to a developer," "sell the apartments for $100K each?"
Some of you are worse than the villains in Charles Dickens. And impractical too, because when all the projects are gone you will have to quadruple the size of the prisons and pay from $20-$50,000 per prisoner per year or$ 80-$200,000 for an imprisoned family of 4.
By those standards the NYCHA runs on pennies to the dollar.

In 15 years, the NYCHA buildings will be standing exactly where they are today and the demand for them will only increase as this Depression worsens and NYC gets to share the pain.

Who do you think BUILT this housing? Do you think it was the poor who dreamed up the wonderful idea of concentration camps on the outskirts of the "nice" parts of town? Or was it wealthy people who wanted the poor out of their sight? Do you not think that developers made BILLIONS putting up public housing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2012, 12:07 PM
 
Location: USA
8,011 posts, read 11,430,315 times
Reputation: 3454
^ they don't get it unless they're the
victims of their own ideology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2012, 01:37 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn New York
18,503 posts, read 31,728,061 times
Reputation: 28067
Not for nothing, but most if not all the projects were built in the areas that were the least deseriable.

But now, because Manhattan real estate is what it is today, suddenly the areas where the projects have been for decades are now "desireable", "hip and trendy"...etc...It does not give anyone the right to want or have them knocked down. They were there first, when there was nothing around them.....just because other place have leveled thier projects doesn't mean NY has to also.

Chelsea is a classic example 9th Ave - 17Th Street, back in the day, it wasn't a great area to live, but now it is all hip and trendy....oh well, it isnt the fault of the tenants in the pj's.....


People can't expect them to move so they can be torn down so mega luxury condos can be built for the rich.


that isn't fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2012, 05:30 PM
 
1,211 posts, read 1,537,815 times
Reputation: 878
Kick these welfare losers out of nyc and relocate them to some small town in the sticks. That way we free up precious real estate and get rid of the criminals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2012, 06:56 PM
 
10,224 posts, read 19,271,087 times
Reputation: 10899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
"Destroy the homes of the poor," "throw the poor into a park," "sell all the buildings to a developer," "sell the apartments for $100K each?"
Some of you are worse than the villains in Charles Dickens.
Twisting my moustache now. Muhahahaha.

Quote:
And impractical too, because when all the projects are gone you will have to quadruple the size of the prisons and pay from $20-$50,000 per prisoner per year or$ 80-$200,000 for an imprisoned family of 4.
By those standards the NYCHA runs on pennies to the dollar.
We'll just dump 'em all on Governor's Island and let 'em fend for themselves.

Quote:
Who do you think BUILT this housing? Do you think it was the poor who dreamed up the wonderful idea of concentration camps on the outskirts of the "nice" parts of town? Or was it wealthy people who wanted the poor out of their sight? Do you not think that developers made BILLIONS putting up public housing?
Seriously? It was well-meaning (wealthy) progressives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2012, 06:01 AM
 
6,459 posts, read 12,049,974 times
Reputation: 6396
NYC is not Chicago. Chicago is the second ghettoest place on earth next to LA County (yes, I said LOS ANGELES COUNTY).

The city tore down Cabrini Green projects, because the bad guys were using it as a fortress and the cops were afraid to go in. Not just them, but other law enforcement agencies. The scaredy cats tore it down, but didn't realize the ramifications of what was to come later. All of those degenerates who lived there moved to various parts of the city and instead of the crime being in one or two places, it has now spread out all over the city with no end in sight. It's worse than before.

What was once a CONTAINMENT ZONE for the worst of the worst is now a citywide disaster of epic proportions.

They will never tear down the housing projects in NYC. For what? I guess many advocating for their destruction have never actually BEEN to one. It's mainly the sight of those "scary" black and hispanic people that are frightening you from entering, but public housing apartments are quite nice. Bedrooms are big, real kitchens (not that kitchenette b.s.), decent size bathrooms, closets, nice size livingroom and eating areas. I've been to various projects throughout the city and I can PERSONALLY vouch for all of this. Other than urine in the elevators and graffiti, they're not bad places. The city could rent or sell these out for a grip if they wanted.

Many of you posting in here are truly disgusting people. I wish you the WORST POSSIBLE OUTCOME IN LIFE.

I really do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2012, 08:35 AM
 
1,496 posts, read 2,244,595 times
Reputation: 2310
Never gonna happen. Public housing is a long established institution with a huge organizational inertia, including many monied interests, behind it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2012, 01:19 PM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
16,408 posts, read 33,359,637 times
Reputation: 7341
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
NYC is not Chicago. Chicago is the second ghettoest place on earth next to LA County (yes, I said LOS ANGELES COUNTY).

The city tore down Cabrini Green projects, because the bad guys were using it as a fortress and the cops were afraid to go in. Not just them, but other law enforcement agencies. The scaredy cats tore it down, but didn't realize the ramifications of what was to come later. All of those degenerates who lived there moved to various parts of the city and instead of the crime being in one or two places, it has now spread out all over the city with no end in sight. It's worse than before.

What was once a CONTAINMENT ZONE for the worst of the worst is now a citywide disaster of epic proportions.

They will never tear down the housing projects in NYC. For what? I guess many advocating for their destruction have never actually BEEN to one. It's mainly the sight of those "scary" black and hispanic people that are frightening you from entering, but public housing apartments are quite nice. Bedrooms are big, real kitchens (not that kitchenette b.s.), decent size bathrooms, closets, nice size livingroom and eating areas. I've been to various projects throughout the city and I can PERSONALLY vouch for all of this. Other than urine in the elevators and graffiti, they're not bad places. The city could rent or sell these out for a grip if they wanted.

Many of you posting in here are truly disgusting people. I wish you the WORST POSSIBLE OUTCOME IN LIFE.

I really do.
Another difference between LA, Chicago and NYC is the NYC police will put up with a lot less crap. For instance, the Rodney King riots. The NYC police would not have stood back and simply let them destroy their neighborhood and put up with all the crap going on for days. The NYC police is even tough on peaceful demonstrators. Look how they watched OWS like hawks.

The projects in Chicago were built badly with crappy materials because it was for poor people. Many of the buildings were on their last legs when torn down. Big difference in NYC. The buildings were built better and with higher quality materials, no matter that they were for poor people. Physically the buildings in general are nowhere near the need to be torn down like Chicago's, so the better construction definitely paid off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2012, 10:42 PM
 
Location: Queens, NY
55 posts, read 127,417 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Seriously? It was well-meaning (wealthy) progressives.
It was Robert Moses and developers who redlined "blight" to sequester the poor away from the wealthy and suppress mortgages in African-American communities. Most definitely NOT progressive.

The progressives were the protesters against Moses and his destructive policies, lead by Jane Jacobs who wrote "The Death and Life of Great American Cities". It was the instigator of the New Urbanist movement. That used to mean something positive. Unfortunately, it's been perverted by the "Artisan Weathy" to use property values to create the exact bourgeois monoculture that Jane Jacobs was fighting against.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top