Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 05:56 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,364,155 times

Advertisements

i think the city will lease the land to several real estate developers who will gut/renovate the projects and rent/sell the apts at market, preserving 20% for low and middle class. i give the manhattan projects as they are now another 10-15 years tops. the displaced people may be moved to staten island, newark, dying upstate cities like buffalo, suffolk county. i see bklyn becoming a second city, the bronx improving and queens continuing to be a closer-in alternative to the suburbs. When all is said and done, NYC will probably be like London, with the middle class in the outer boros, the wealthy at the core and the poor in isolated communities by themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 05:58 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,050,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
NYC will NEVER bulldoze the projects. 1. There's money to be made especially in these times 2. As Bronxguyanese said bulldoze those projects and you can guarantee problems will rise particularly in lower income hoods: South BX, Bushwick, Bed Stuy, Harlem etc. It won't look pretty at all, you can't avoid that disaster if they knock down the projects.
Never say never.

I remember 20 years ago some black conspiracists(sp?) saying the white man was going to take back Harlem. I was like "Yeah right!" Don't NOBODY BLACK OR WHITE WANT HARLEM. Bombed out, brokedown, ghetto arse place with druggies everywhere. Who the hell would wanna even visit there much less live.

Fast forward to when Clinton rents his first office, then a year or so after Disney buys up ELEVEN blocks of the place and what I thought was a drug hazed "conspiracy theory" comes true.

They may not bulldoze the projects, but they will most certainly start renting to a higher income bracket. Housing projects are the best built buildings in the city. I grew up in one in Queens. The walls are thick, the bedrooms are a nice size, so is the livingroom, kitchen and bathroom areas. Never ever saw a rat or a mouse like in the tenements. NOT EVER.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:06 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,567,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Never say never.

I remember 20 years ago some black conspiracists(sp?) saying the white man was going to take back Harlem. I was like "Yeah right!" Don't NOBODY BLACK OR WHITE WANT HARLEM. Bombed out, brokedown, ghetto arse place with druggies everywhere. Who the hell would wanna even visit there much less live.

Fast forward to when Clinton rents his first office, then a year or so after Disney buys up ELEVEN blocks of the place and what I thought was a drug hazed "conspiracy theory" comes true.

They may not bulldoze the projects, but they will most certainly start renting to a higher income bracket. Housing projects are the best built buildings in the city. I grew up in one in Queens. The walls are thick, the bedrooms are a nice size, so is the livingroom, kitchen and bathroom areas. Never ever saw a rat or a mouse like in the tenements. NOT EVER.
I think people could've foresaw improvement in Harlem, but not at the speed it happened. But for the projects, I just don't know. As I said a while ago when this topic came up before, the results would either very good or very bad & especially in economic times like this, I just don't see how bulldozing/raising up prices to drive the lower class out would be any good. We'll see...

Old 08-11-2010, 06:08 PM

447 posts, read 1,567,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
wow stop beleiving what you read. those plans of 125th are not a automatic yes. there have been many debates on it. and also when you look at bloomberg it looks as if he forgot about the 125th business he was trying to do anyway.
This information is from the department of city planning website.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:47 PM

45 posts, read 99,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycistheplace2 View Post
With the way its going I'd say 15 to 20 years. Maybe sooner.
They'll have to move it somewhere tho. Probably The Bronx.
Do you think they'll do it? With Harlem and other neighborhoods gentrifying they'll have to get rid of it eventually.
I'd give it 10 years for the housing projects below 96th street.
Maybe 15 years for Harlem and East Harlem and by 25 years Manhattan will be done with Housing Projects.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:28 PM

34,187 posts, read 47,485,813 times
i believe there is a law that mandates any demolition of public housing must be replaced with new public housing...

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-12-2010, 03:53 PM

461 posts, read 2,002,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
i believe there is a law that mandates any demolition of public housing must be replaced with new public housing...

If that's true, that really sucks. Now we'll never really get rid of the low-lives...j/k.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:56 PM

11,328 posts, read 18,959,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Never say never.

I think it will take another 20 or 30 years but in this same sense I think some of the south Bronx (at least the parts near Manhattan, especially around the new Yankee Stadium) is next. Closeness to Manhattan while near excellent public transportation combined with being on the mainland (i.e. if you drive to New England or upstate no tollbridge and related traffic to deal with) is going to make it more desirable. Sounds laughable now just like Harlem was in terms of "turning over" say circa 1990 or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
i think the city will lease the land to several real estate developers who will gut/renovate the projects and rent/sell the apts at market, preserving 20% for low and middle class. i give the manhattan projects as they are now another 10-15 years tops. the displaced people may be moved to staten island, newark, dying upstate cities like buffalo, suffolk county. i see bklyn becoming a second city, the bronx improving and queens continuing to be a closer-in alternative to the suburbs. When all is said and done, NYC will probably be like London, with the middle class in the outer boros, the wealthy at the core and the poor in isolated communities by themselves.
Staten Island will get immense resistance except maybe in the neighborhood right near the Ferry (and even there a big "maybe"). Suffolk County is already gentrifying so I doubt there too, but maybe in pockets like Wyandanch. Newark probably, though I could see it gentrifying the way Jersey City did. Upstate I think more like Newburgh and Poughkeepsie, maybe Albany; Buffalo, even though the same state is essentially another part of the US culturally, it's like saying they'll go to Cleveland or Pittsburgh. Another possible destination would be Bridgeport and Waterbury in CT (and maybe Hartford and New Haven, but there's signs of those cities starting to "gentrify" too, especially parts of New Haven). I know from various experiences a lot of lower-income and middle class NYers who are now in Bridgeport and Waterbury.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:59 PM

45 posts, read 99,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
They can just build more in the outer-boroughs.
Im not saying im for it, just saying its possible.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:14 PM

876 posts, read 2,145,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycistheplace2 View Post
I looked up what they are doing just now.
They are rezoning 125th street to be "important regional business district and bolster its historic role as an arts, entertainment and retail corridor."
In other words a new times square or another very important artery in Manhattan. On the bright side they will "preserve the brownstone residences". Who knows, Sylvia's might close down and open uo a new shop in Bushwick.
I know nothing about the area. Never was there or know anything about it. But what I do know about is sylvia's fried chicken. If they actually change 125th street to make it like times squares, sylvia will double in size. If I owned sylvias I would be so happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City