Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 04:28 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times

Advertisements

Ok let's bring this back to reality. NYC is required BY LAW to house the homeless since 1980 I believe. Why is this significant? Because it essentially sealed the fate for NYC and the housing projects. Unless that law changes, the projects and the poor aren't going anywhere in NYC. And the reality is the housing projects are mostly in excellent locations and in pretty good condition, and are currently being repositioned as working class housing.

If you don't like the housing projects because they look bad...that's nothing more than simply changing the facade to make it look more aesthetically pleasing. But they are not going anywhere...best case scenario is that they become the choice (or rather only) destination for the working class of NYC. And that ain't so bad.

Last edited by SobroGuy; 08-12-2010 at 05:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 04:29 PM

45 posts, read 99,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
I know nothing about the area. Never was there or know anything about it. But what I do know about is sylvia's fried chicken. If they actually change 125th street to make it like times squares, sylvia will double in size. If I owned sylvias I would be so happy.
Does Sylvia own her restaurant? Or does she rent it?

Old 08-12-2010, 04:38 PM

876 posts, read 2,141,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Never say never.

I remember 20 years ago some black conspiracists(sp?) saying the white man was going to take back Harlem. I was like "Yeah right!" Don't NOBODY BLACK OR WHITE WANT HARLEM. Bombed out, brokedown, ghetto arse place with druggies everywhere. Who the hell would wanna even visit there much less live.

Fast forward to when Clinton rents his first office, then a year or so after Disney buys up ELEVEN blocks of the place and what I thought was a drug hazed "conspiracy theory" comes true.

They may not bulldoze the projects, but they will most certainly start renting to a higher income bracket. Housing projects are the best built buildings in the city. I grew up in one in Queens. The walls are thick, the bedrooms are a nice size, so is the livingroom, kitchen and bathroom areas. Never ever saw a rat or a mouse like in the tenements. NOT EVER.
Why does everything have to be a white black issue? Making harlem into a crime free area is not a bad thing. I dont understand how when the city tries to get rid of crime people saying negative things about it. Harlem is in manhattan of course they want to make it into a good area. Get people from all over the world to come and visit and spend their money.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Why does everything have to be a white black issue? Making harlem into a crime free area is not a bad thing. I dont understand how when the city tries to get rid of crime people saying negative things about it. Harlem is in manhattan of course they want to make it into a good area. Get people from all over the world to come and visit and spend their money.
I just wish Harlem would stay the black mecca. Im not against having safer streets but still, not if it means it becomes like an extension of the Upper East Side.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeight$Babe View Post
Does Sylvia own her restaurant? Or does she rent it?
I am pretty sure she owns it but her son now works there. Am I the only one who seen her store on the food channel?

Old 08-12-2010, 05:19 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
And alot of people wish that Bushwick was still white, and East Harlem was still Italian, and the lower east side was still Jewish, etc etc....but its not ok when whites wished that colored folks were gone or did not enter "their" neighborhoods, but it's ok to say "keep Harlem Black" or "we don't want anyone else here." By the way..Harlem was white long before it was black...so maybe we should make Harlem white again?

Old 08-12-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeight$Babe View Post
I just wish Harlem would stay the black mecca. Im not against having safer streets but still, not if it means it becomes like an extension of the Upper East Side.
Can you image what would be said of a person who said, I wish bay ridge would stay white. Or that I wish the united states would stay as a majority white nation. A person who said that would be labeled a racist. To me this is a double standard. Nothing is worse then double standards.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
And alot of people wish that Bushwick was still white, and East Harlem was still Italian, and the lower east side was still Jewish, etc etc....but its not ok when whites wished that colored folks were gone or did not enter "their" neighborhoods, but it's ok to say "keep Harlem Black" or "we don't want anyone else here." By the way..Harlem was white long before it was black...so maybe we should make Harlem white again?
I guess times change, but I won't be happy about it, and I'm sure the previous residents weren't happy when minorities moved in either.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:53 PM

34,011 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Can you image what would be said of a person who said, I wish bay ridge would stay white. Or that I wish the united states would stay as a majority white nation. A person who said that would be labeled a racist. To me this is a double standard. Nothing is worse then double standards.
well the particular reference to harlem is brought about because harlem is historically a important part of black culture with institutions such as the apollo and schomburg museum, and periods of time such as the harlem rennaisance, which sparked many creative minds in the arts. i understand what you mean, but its a bit deeper than saying "i wish bed-stuy would stay black," or "i wish bensonhurst stayed italian."

now if somebody said, "i wish bay ridge stayed white", thats fine, but for what reasons? did bay ridge play a huge part in white american culture, and if so, how? any white institutions in bay ridge of cultural or historical significance?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-12-2010, 06:56 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
sobro guy harlem was never all white, so i wish you guys would stop using that example. it was all native american at one time. when the whites came to harlem they didn't come alone, they bought black slaves, and allowed some black free people to live there, and they have been there ever since.

also the same goes for washington heights and the south bronx. i know my history, study up. i am not going to let anyone make those blanket statements because black and latin people have been in this city from it its beginnings. they didn't come here in 1950.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City