Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 01:40 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times

Advertisements

One caveat with southern cars that you need to watch for, hence why a Carfax is a must, is flood damage. Flood damage can occur anywhere, but in areas that experience severe weather, combined with states that are not as strict in terms of title issues, previously damaged cars can find their way to the used car lots.

Cars that were damaged in hurricanes can often be refitted with a salvage interior that looks good, but there are components that rust or are susceptible to water damage, including electronic components and air bag sensors. If the vehicle was transferred from another state where there were hurricanes, such as the Gulf Coast or Florida, you should have it inspected by a service, with an eye to looking for flood damage.

Here's a guide from NADA that goes over the basics to check regarding flood damage: Tips on How to Spot a Flood-Damaged Vehicle

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 06:33 PM

904 posts, read 2,872,989 times
Quote:
Certain years of the Toyota Camry, should you come across, late 90s, can have issues with engine sludge build-up with the four-cylinder engine. I am just mentioning this in case you come across one at a good price.
Quick point on this, as the owner of a late-90s model Camry, with some 130k miles and no sludge issues. From everything I have read on this problem, if you make sure to get the oil changed every 3,000 miles, you should not experience any sludge. Personally, I'm pretty fanatical about it - a lot of the time I get it changed with a few hundred miles to spare.

Now, my car was a hand-me-down from my mom, who was the original owner, so I knew about its history. I'd certainly be more wary of buying one from a dealer or on craigslist. But if there were some way to make sure that the engine has thus far been completely sludge-free and shown no signs of it, you should be OK. They're damn good cars, aside from that.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:39 PM

82 posts, read 315,664 times
Don't waste your money on an old crap that will fall apart in a year or will require expensive repairs. New cars are so cheap now, it's a crime to throw money after some old clunker. You'll pay more in gasoline than that car costs. You can get a 0 down lease on a new Accord for just $270/month: Current Offers and Leases on New Honda Cars - Official Website
Three years of comfortable driving, zero trouble. And you don't need to bargain, it's a national offer, just go to any certified dealer.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:38 PM

467 posts, read 1,866,259 times
I'd never lease a car in NYC (well, I'd never lease one in general, but least of all here). If someone bumps my car when they're pulling in or out of a spot, who cares with my car! I bought my car with huge key marks down the sides and I couldn't care less. Cali4ever, you sound like a walking adverisement. The OP doesn't seem to have the budget to lease a car anyway. If you have a 36 month lease, for example, you end up paying just shy of $10k. It's renting a car, you never get a cent of that back, and you'll end up pouring additional money into a leased car for repairs here in NYC. Waste.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:00 PM

194 posts, read 623,102 times
@canyon:

So, if I do wind up buying down south, how would that work? Could I have my brother pay for the vehicle, and then go down myself, get temporary insurance/registration, and then get a "real" insurance policy up here, and register it with the DMV? Would I get temporary "plates" down there?

Also, would this be the same deal if I bought in NJ (because I'm a NYC resident) - that is, temp registration to drive it to the city, and then re-registration?

@cali/canyon:

Yes, leasing is not an option - and everyone with whom I've spoken says it's like money out the window. Like canyon, I don't want to have to worry about getting nicked and dinged and dented - I want a solid-running jalopy that, if it gets a scratch, I say, "oh well."

One thing I've been looking at is "short-term" leases - that is, taking over someone's lease for a discounted rate - but I'm not sure it's a great idea, and I'm not sure if the prices they are quoting include insurance. If they do, then it might be something to look into.

@bmw/neon:

Thanks, once again, for the very detailed advice. bmw, I'm not terribly worried about flooding, as my brother lives in Florida, in an area not at all prone to flodding; hurricanes, sometimes, flooding - never in the many, many years he's lived there.

I'd love to be able to have him buy a car for me and drive it back; I'd be so much more comfortable doing this with someone who knows something about cars (and NOT buying a car that's been subjected to long-term 5-borough driving). Thing is, I'd like to get something soon, and I don't know how much time he has.

I'm continuing the search, anyway!

Old 08-15-2010, 12:47 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
You need full coverage insurance on a leased vehicle, and any dings, scratches, dents (common when parked on the street) will incur a reconditioning fee when it is returned at the end of the lease. The prices quoted on sublease sites are usually just the monthly cost, to which you would add full coverage insurance.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-15-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
You need full coverage insurance on a leased vehicle, and any dings, scratches, dents (common when parked on the street) will incur a reconditioning fee when it is returned at the end of the lease. The prices quoted on sublease sites are usually just the monthly cost, to which you would add full coverage insurance.
Exactly - which is why leasing doesn't really seem like a good choice. Dings, etc., are going to happen, and the insurance payments would be higher.

Spoke with my brother this morning, who echoed some of the advice I've gotten here: that I really should consider increasing my budget, as at my price point, there's a very good chance that the car is going to need, down the road, some significant, costly work.

He also said that south Florida is a great place to buy used Toyotas in good condition, because so many retired people drive them, and take good care of them. And because there are so many on the market, the prices are generally far lower than in NYC.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:15 PM

467 posts, read 1,866,259 times
Yeah, I really have no idea about buying a car far south, but if I did it, I'd buy from a dealer who can do a temporary registration, and I'd get insurance coverage instated while at the dealer. That's all I really know!

I'd go with a budget of up to $4k for a car that has up to 100k mileage, 1998-2002. IMO.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:43 PM

Thanks, canyon.

I've found a few options on autotrader.com near my brother's zip code; he said if he's got time this week, he'll take a look at one or more.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:42 AM

Still looking, and wondering - does anyone have any opinions about buying a used Hyndai, Kia, or Nissan? I've seen quite a few listed on Autotrader.com, for pretty decent prices. My parents have had both Nissans and Kias, and have had good luck with them - of course, they've been new, not older model, used cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City