Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2010, 02:13 PM

3 posts, read 7,805 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!
I'm new to this site, but I came across it in my search for COL in Manhattan and possibly Brooklyn.
I am a recent college grad looking for a full-time job to bide my time for the year while I wait to hear back from law schools for fall of 2011. I have interviewed for a few paralegal/legal assistant positions, and they have all asked me my salary requirement. I don't want to overshoot and risk missing out on a job offer, so I've been saying between 35-40k (I understand this is the standard for entry level positions in this field). My question is, is it possible, with living with a roommate, to live in Manhattan on this salary, all factors considered? Or, would it be wiser to live in Brooklyn in a nicer neighborhood (if so, can anyone suggest any?).
Anyone have any ideas for a minimum base salary needed to live in Manhattan or a nicer Brooklyn neighborhood, preferably in a two bedroom apt with a roommate?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 08:14 PM

467 posts, read 1,866,259 times
My roommate is a legal assistant and we live in Brooklyn, in Greenwood Heights. I think you're right on the ball as far as base salary, but don't forget that a ton of legal assistants make major overtime (sometimes working up to 80 hours a week), so hopefully you'll be having extra money on hand. Also, she has a two year contract with her company, and I'm thinking this is a fairly standard thing in NYC.
The rule of thumb is that you should make (and will need to make, in order to get your own lease, but if you're with a roommate or you move in with someone who already has a lease, then it's not exact) 40 times one month's rent, so if you're making 35k base then you can afford $875 per month in rent, which you can find a room for anywhere in Queens (Long Island City and Astoria are popular), and Brooklyn in parts of Park Slope, Greenwood Heights, Gowanus, Carroll Gardens (maybe), Fort Greene (maybe), Sunset Park (definitely, not as great of an area), Clinton Hill (definitely, very populated by students, not as great of an area IMO), Bed Stuy (definitely, has crime issues but some parts are better than others), and probably Williamsburg and Greenpoint as well. So you have a lot of options. I don't think it's likely you'll find anything/much in a desirable area of Manhattan. Brooklyn is great, though! Look on Craigslist. It's the best way.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:39 PM

Thanks for the advice! Super helpful...and it's good to know your roommate has a similar job and is able to live in Brooklyn in a nicer neighborhood. Gives me motivation!

Old 08-29-2010, 07:42 PM

Anyone else have any thoughts on living in NYC/Brooklyn on a 36-40k salary? Can it be done??

Old 08-29-2010, 08:02 PM

904 posts, read 2,872,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lb8891 View Post
Anyone else have any thoughts on living in NYC/Brooklyn on a 36-40k salary? Can it be done??
Sure, you can get by just fine. I've said this on here a number of times - NYC on 40k is not a "glamorous," movie-style lifestyle, but it's perfectly doable. Canyontothesky mentioned some good Brooklyn options, neighborhood-wise, though I'm not really sure you could afford Park Slope. I'd add Prospect Heights to the list, and maybe Crown Heights, too, though that area can be a bit more dangerous.

One thing, though - I tend to prefer the one-third of after-tax income rule to the 40x rule. In terms of leases, 40x is the standard, but I think that's more about what you could afford as opposed to what you should afford. Going by that, your ceiling is more like $750/month, which is doable in all the places canyontothesky mentioned except for Park Slope, Carroll Gardens and most of Williamsburg.

I mean, it's not like you'd be crazy paying $875 or anything, but if I were you, I'd rather have a bit more financial leeway. Just my two cents, though.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:16 PM

467 posts, read 1,866,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
Going by that, your ceiling is more like $750/month, which is doable in all the places canyontothesky mentioned except for Park Slope, Carroll Gardens and most of Williamsburg.
There are definitely deals to be had in Park Slope. Not prime Park Slope, no, but south of 9th, perhaps. I don't live there anymore, my area is more like Windsor Terrace/Greenwood Heights, but I love it here, and I do pay that much in rent.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:01 PM

904 posts, read 2,872,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyontothesky View Post
There are definitely deals to be had in Park Slope. Not prime Park Slope, no, but south of 9th, perhaps. I don't live there anymore, my area is more like Windsor Terrace/Greenwood Heights, but I love it here, and I do pay that much in rent.
That's true, and Windsor Terrace and Greenwood Heights are great areas in and of themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: