U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2010, 06:11 AM

17 posts, read 89,679 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are currently applying for jobs in Manhattan and we are going to be in town staying with friends this weekend to do some wandering around neighborhoods that we are considering. We are looking for a 1 bedroom for around 1400 that allows our two tiny dogs (7 lbs each). We're looking for safe, clean neighborhoods over trendy neighborhoods and we're ok with up to a 40 minute commute. I am used to the modern conveniences of an Ohio suburb, like central air and zero bugs and a huge new construction house for 1200 a month, so I'm prepared for a shock when we move out there, but I would like to lessen that as much as possible.
Can anyone suggest some walking tours (for example, stay between X St and Y St on the North and South and A Ave and B Ave on the East and West. Main St has the best shops and restaurants)?
Here are our top choices (although more suggestions are welcome):

Jersey City
Hoboken
Astoria
Sunnyside
Long Island City
Forest Hills
Morningside Heights
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 02:54 PM

33,428 posts, read 34,327,706 times
In Forest Hills the main shopping & restaurant area is along Austin Street. I suggest you take the subway to the 71st Ave/Continental Street Station (which is a block away from Austin Street). This is center of Forest Hills. There is also a multiplex movie theater, some restaurants & stores in the same area along Queens Blvd.
I also suggest that you check out Rego Park which is right next to Forest Hills. It is main shopping & restaurant area is on 63rd Drive (subway stop by the same name). It also has 2 mini shopping malls in that same area - Rego Center with Sears, Marshalls, Old Navy & Bed, Bath & Beyond (with one empty store which used to be Circuit City)as well as the newly opened Rego Center II with currently has Kohls, TJ Max, Century 21 and more stores coming soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City