Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 10:52 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,011,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Well it looks like the OP has to remain in tremont section of the Bronx which is not so pleaseant but its still a roof of her head and its for an internship so I guess the rent is being paid for. We have to becareful on how we mention East Tremont, Because East Tremont extends from Morris Hieghts along a parallel path with Cross Bronx Expressway all the way down to Troggs Neck area. Not all of East tremont Avenue is bad, the only part of Tremont Avenue thats no so pleseant is between Southern Boulevard all the way to University Avenue or MLK boulevard. I would really suggest for the OP to talk to the people providing the board to ask to get an apartment in the Yankee Stadium area which is more safer then tremont and closer to Manhattan for leisure and festivaties or Norwood area near Montifiore Hospital.
I would extend it to Sedgwick ave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 04:13 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,604,230 times
Default I'm sorry about my

post describing Bedford Park as tenements. I guess I was thinking of Valentine Avenue and Villa Avenue which have tenements more so. I was just biking thru Bedford Park yesterday, my comment wasn't intended to denigrate.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:41 PM

8 posts, read 30,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
seriously?
Yea summer 1995 and before anyone says that the Bronx has changed in the past 15 years (I agree to a point), it is NOT the place for someone who has never set foot in the city, let alone left their small town. You will be prey!

Old 08-30-2010, 08:47 PM

8 posts, read 30,921 times
The point of the story is ANY urban place with high crime is NOT the ideal environment for a person who has never lived in NYC nor left their small towns before. I have seen ma Iny people come up missing in places like this and 9 times out of 10 it was due to being naive to their surroundings. People who are out there to take advantage of others can sense when someone is out of their element and use it to their advantage. I would not let any of my family live out there and I COME FROM THE PROJECTS my damn self. I am going as far as saying she has no business being out on the concourse in that area. Why risk something happening. Besides, most of those apartments are disgusting. I used to have a cousin who lived on 163d and the grand concourse (part of my reason for being out there alot in the early to mid 90s). He was a neat freak yet the apartment was overrun with mice, roaches and a woman got attacked in his elevator. Cmon do you really want to put your relative in that environment? Uptown manhattan is a much better place to live. I've spent alot of time out there too. The Bronx is not for the weak.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:17 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,338,854 times
I cannot say that uptown Manhattan is a better place to live..I can say SOME parts of uptown Manhattan are better places to live. You go East of Broadway and it's no different/worse than the Grand Concourse around Tremont...rows and rows of low-income rundown tenements, same low-income populations, same crime.

She is better off being either father North by Kingsbridge, or South by Yankee Stadium. The middle is where it gets unbearable.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:31 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,625,420 times
I always try and sell the Bronx as a nice place because there is awesome, wonderful places to live. This area however, IS NOT. I was there recently with a friend whom I dropped off after a long night of partying in Manhattan, and she lives on the D train stop of Tremont Ave and we got back at 6AM, and it was TERRIBLE. There was garbage and I mean tons of garbage all over the place and what was even worst was that on that whole stretch of the area there was still a bunch of low life goons chilling on the corners or in front of the building, blasting their music from their cars or from their radios. Just chilling, hanging out, with their people and their girls like, seriously, they had SO MANY places they can go but they litter the streets and disrupt peoples sleep.

PLEASE advise your friend to look else where. It's really not a great area. Granted that if she minds her business and doesn't go around dwelling or mingling with any of the people in that area, she'll more than likely do fine but regardless its just not a nice area especially if she's a girl from Rural, PA who's moving into the Bronx.

If she wants to move to the Bronx, please recommend far East Tremont which is in the Throggs Neck area, Pelham Bay and/or Pelham Parkway area or even Riverdale. Anywhere but that area.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:34 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,625,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenzNYCItalian View Post
Uptown manhattan is a much better place to live. I've spent alot of time out there too. The Bronx is not for the weak.

Some parts of uptown Manhattan are JUST as bad as the area she is (hopefully doesn't) move to. Some parts like Washington Heights and Dyckman are really just as bad and disgusting.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:06 AM

9,242 posts, read 24,016,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate88 View Post
Thanks for the tips, everyone. I plan on giving her a crash course on "city safety", just wanted to know what she was in for. I wish she was able to live somewhere a little safer just because she is a bit naive, but the program she is doing has dorm style housing in that area she has to live in.
Why does everyone keep advising that she find a better neighborhood when there is no such option available (as explained above)?
Let's get real. We all agree that it's a bad neighborhood but she is not going to be the first student or medical intern or Teach for America participant to come from Podunk and land in the ghetto on entry
Teach for America,Fordham U and many Bronx Hospitals bring in many of these people every year and the overwhelming majority of them make it through without incident.Same thing happens in Brooklyn and other inner city neighborhoods all the time.
Will it be a culture shock? You bet.Is she sure to become a victim? Probably not.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:01 PM

285 posts, read 859,771 times
Just an update for everyone - I was a bit misinformed about the exact address where she would be staying. The training center for their program is at that address, but she and the other kids are staying with the couple that coordinates the program (it's a Christian/missions-oriented outreach program) in their apartment near 180th and Webster. They have explored various neighborhoods in the Bronx, go to Little Italy (Bronx) often, tutor kids in an after-school program in Central Park, and work at a food pantry downtown. She loves the city, and is adapting well to the urban way of life, public transportation, etc. Thanks again for all of your advice!

Old 10-05-2010, 09:48 PM

93 posts, read 246,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
I never take my car into the city, I depend on mass transit. What I know of the city is mostly along transit lines with the exception of Brooklyn. I grew up there in my earlier years. The ride on the Q44 was very pleasant through most of Queens it really didn't get grimy until we hit Sutphin and Archer and that area seemed no worse than The Hub in the Bronx. It just seems the residential area of the Bronx are so much more urban jungle than Queens. Take Soundview and Jackson Heights, both neighborhoods centered around the elevated 6 and 7 lines and have a large latino community. JH housing are nice apartment buildings, Soundview apartment buildings seem to be tenements. JH's single family housing seem to be SFH, Soundview's single family housing seems to be rows of SRO.. I know the Bronx has their Riverdale and Queens has some unsavory neighborhoods like the Far Rockaway projects. For the most part while Queens looks alive and thriving, you still get a feeling of urban blight in many parts of the Bronx.

My comments weren't on safety it was more about apperance. Howard Beach looks safe but some man accidently hit a kid in the street, that man was found dead several weeks later. The looks of a neighborhood has nothing to do with its safety
La Cosa Nostra
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City